Toronto Hotel X (was Hotel in the Garden) | ?m | 27s | Exhibition Place | NORR

Since when are there Kodiak Bears at the Ex? And since when have bears prowling your front door been a selling feature?
3931387753_bfecd3406c_b.jpg

Well, we keep encroaching on their habitats...

Maybe that's merely a prediction in the rendering.

Well we already in south Parkdale/Ex have racoons, skunks, groudhogs, possums, fox, and sometimes deer.....i figure a couple of bears here and there should not make much of a difference.:D

New hotel slated for Ex grounds in 2013

The board of governors of Exhibition Place unanimously approved a 26-storey boutique hotel for the convention area Thursday evening. Plans for the building, called Hotel in the Garden, will go to city council in November, but Joe Pantalone, deputy mayor and Exhibition Place chairman, said city hall has been "very supportive."

The proposed hotel is expected to be completed by November 2013, beside the Direct Energy Centre and the Allstream Centre (the latter is set to open in two weeks). The hotel is being designed by Maragna Architect and Associates for HK Hotels..

HK Hotels operates four small boutique hotels in New York City and a larger resort in Prague. Their New York hotels have specialty themes – the Casablanca Hotel is inspired by the movie and the Library Hotel has book collections in every room.

The hotel, which Pantalone hopes will become "iconic," has been considered a missing element of Exhibition Place for years. In the past decade, several attempts to bring a hotel to the site have fallen apart, and hospitality experts have indicated events have been lost to other cities as a result.

"The hotel is deemed necessary to attract business," Pantalone said

Current plans indicate the hotel will have 320 rooms, a ballroom, a library, meeting rooms and a spa. The tower exterior will be a combination of glass and possibly limestone. Six gardens will surround the hotel, and the historic Stanley Barracks officers mess is being restored in the process.

The hotel will be built on city land leased for 49 years. No financial details have been released.

Community groups had been concerned about migratory birds and accessibility issues, and Pantalone said those concerns have been addressed. He said people who came to Thursday's meeting were "overwhelmingly in support" of the proposal.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/707875--new-hotel-slated-for-ex-grounds-in-2013

Toronto is the worst performing hotel market in Canada.
There is nothing planned in the city that will actually increase
demand. There should be an emphasis to increase the demand,
not supply. People are not going to plan a trip to Toronto to
exclusively see this hotel, rather this property will take
market share. Having traveled and insight on what other North
American cities are accomplishing to actually increase demand
this is really is a pathetic situation. The city is extremely misguided on where they are foucsing their development efforts.

Not that I disagree with you necessarily on the effectiveness of the city's tourism efforts this particular project is a private one not a public one, no?

Worst performing hotel market in Canada? I don't think so.

42, any news on when they plan to break ground?

Nope. It has a few hurdles to clear at the City first.

Toronto is the worst performing hotel market in Canada.
There is nothing planned in the city that will actually increase
demand. There should be an emphasis to increase the demand,
not supply. People are not going to plan a trip to Toronto to
exclusively see this hotel, rather this property will take
market share. Having traveled and insight on what other North
American cities are accomplishing to actually increase demand
this is really is a pathetic situation. The city is extremely misguided on where they are foucsing their development efforts.

No, you're right, there's nothing new to do here or see here: the sports teams mean nothing, the shopping's worth nothing, the booming cultural scene's worth nothing, the huge restaurant scene is not a draw... etc. etc.

Yawn. You're one of those "grass is always greener" types, right?

Not that I disagree with you necessarily on the effectiveness of the city's tourism efforts this particular project is a private one not a public one, no?

As best as I know (but I could be mistaken) Exhibition Place will own the hotel, with HK Hotels having a 49 year contract to manage/lease it.

Toronto already has some excellent hotels (Le Germain, The Hazelton, Drake, etc.) with even better ones currently under construction.

Tweder, the hotel itself appears to be privately managed, I always assumed the Exhibition place was public, no?

Maestro, we lost the most revpar in all of Canada, and occupancy is definetly in the bottom five markets in Canada, I can provide data if you wish.

Interchange, so exactly how has that increased demand for hotel rooms? And not I'm not a grass is greene guy, just someone who hasent forgotten the last quarter of 08 and first quarter of 09 where hoteliers lost their shirts, projects were cancelled. And a majority of hotels whose mortgages are renewing in 10, but there are no banks willing to do so.

Tweder, the hotel itself appears to be privately managed, I always assumed the Exhibition place was public, no?

Maestro, we lost the most revpar in all of Canada, and occupancy is definetly in the bottom five markets in Canada, I can provide data if you wish.

Interchange, so exactly how has that increased demand for hotel rooms? And not I'm not a grass is greene guy, just someone who hasent forgotten the last quarter of 08 and first quarter of 09 where hoteliers lost their shirts, projects were cancelled. And a majority of hotels whose mortgages are renewing in 10, but there are no banks willing to do so.

At leest you hasent fergottn how 2 spel.

In reality, only 2 hotels bit the dust (if you don't count the eternally U/C Templar on Adelaide) - One Bloor and, more recently, Gansevoort.

Ok i see, youre a doom and gloom kinda guy, even your favourite soccer team is down in the pits.:rolleyes:

Back