860     1 

Mississauga Celebration Square Redevelopment (CS&P Architects) COMPLETE

Update from today:

Lots of concrete being removed:
09302009908.jpg

Still focusing on demolition of the old amphitheatre:
09302009907.jpg

Sept 29

I realized I miss a number of views to shoot from before construction started when I was take shots on Tuesday. You can get some up close shots of the construction at this time.

It will be some time before work starts on the library site.

IMG_sept-29-09-0041.jpg

IMG_sept-29-09-0058.jpg

IMG_sept-29-09-0045.jpg

IMG_sept-29-09-0038.jpg

IMG_sept-29-09-0060.jpg

IMG_sept-29-09-0057.jpg

I didn't realize the old amphitheater was being completely removed. I guess they figure with a permanent stage in the revised library square, this isn't necessary any more, but I'm not sure I agree. I think by opening up the walls surrounding this small one and replacing the portico that goes around it - that this makes for a more intimate secondary gathering spot.

It should be improved, but stay - unless a better use of that land is going to occur. It shouldn't be removed and replaced by nothing.

It also looks like they're keeping the trees in the ground as long as possible, which could be a sign they plan to keep them somewhere within the re-made square. It wold be a shame to lose what few mature trees there are and open up a concrete wasteland. Some trees need to be retained.

Last edited:
Unfortunately (or fortunately), that's one of the many elements of the building that have rarely ever been used.

I always imagined more Pope-like scenarios than Hitler ones, but they're both apt - and both illustrate the misguided thinking of the design - but that's another debate.

What's misguided about the design? It's dripping in irony.
Misguided in that municipal leaders don't stand alone on elevated balconies addressing the huddled masses. How often has it been used? It's too small for any other sort of appearance, as evidenced by the many portable stages that have been used and the new permanent stage that is going to be put in.

It's a more or less useless feature and even from a strictly aesthetic standpoint, it's so-so at best.

That feature, like many others, was "borrowed" from historic architecture and what we're left with is a collection of slapped together elements that in my opinion, make it a poor overall design. I went through this with adma and it could be debated ad nauseum, so it comes down to the bolded bit above.

That feature, like many others, was "borrowed" from historic architecture and what we're left with is a collection of slapped together elements that in my opinion, make it a poor overall design. I went through this with adma and it could be debated ad nauseum, so it comes down to the bolded bit above.

Yes, in the opinion of a messageboarding amateur who needs a refresher course in 1980s architectural history.

And BTW,
That feature, like many others, was "borrowed" from historic architecture and what we're left with is a collection of slapped together elements that in my opinion, make it a poor overall design
also sounds like the blind spot modernist historians once had t/w 1880s architectural history. You've been warned.

300px-Board_of_Trade_Building_Front_Street.jpg

Yes, in the opinion of a messageboarding amateur who needs a refresher course in 1980s architectural history.
Ah yes - the cheap shot artist returns as predicted. Thank you.

I may be new here, but I'm no messageboard amateur. Architectural amateur in your opinion maybe, but your point is seldom very clear from what I've learned on here.

And BTW, also sounds like the blind spot modernist historians once had t/w 1880s architectural history. You've been warned.
Ooh, I've been warned. I'm sure everyone just loves reading e-threats from those who take themselves too seriously.

Maybe if you laid off the personal attacks the forum could be spared the petty behaviour?

Thanks yyzer - got it bookmarked.

Looks like it's from an upper corner of the library, or maybe it's pole mounted?
...and absolute proof that the trees will not be sticking around. Not only are half of them on the ground, that mulcher on the street is in the process of devouring one of them.

Last edited:

Back