News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 386     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 961     1 

Riverdale

Despite claims that business in Chinatown East has never been better, it feels to me that it has been in decline for at least a decade. Certainly the restaurants aren't anywhere near as popular as they once were. The big one ( it used to be called East Grand, for a few years ) on the south side of Gerrard used to have a queue for dim sum out the front door on weekends and is pretty quiet most of the time now. That Beijing restaurant, downstairs on the south side, looks as if it has closed. Jun Jun closed in 1999. The wonderful Ka Hee closed way before that, and was replaced by a succession of lesser restaurants. Spring Rolls GO doesn't appear to be doing much business, and is closed more than it's open during the hours that one would expect a restaurant to be open. There are several empty storefronts for rent. Bill's remains a great place to buy wet fish, and Hanoi 3 Seasons ( the original, now that a sister restaurant has opened on Queen ) is a treasure, and there's Batifole, but the Chinese character is slowly fading and being replaced by Vietnamese versions of Chinese.

The snow nazi's ticketed everyone at our end of the street last week - despite the fact that most of us had cleared our ice. Bastards!

The plow actually came and got rid of the mountain of ice build up on Pape south of gerrard. I don't think I've seen something so beautiful. However, the next plow sent it all back on. Go figure.

What street were they ticketing?

Are moderator's even necessary on an urban architecture forum? Don't take yourself too seriously dude, it's "the internet". Relax.

Johnny Kay:

Actually, the previous post refers to the mess (which has been deleted) after the Nazi comment was made. Surely you can see the need for civil discussion that doesn't stay away from the topic at hand?

AoD

Anyway. Has anyone else noticed that there are a couple of sites that could seriously be redeveloped in Riverdale?

here's my list

Pape and Gerrard. - Maple Leaf bar. Dying out and could probaly be turned into either a sports bar or music scene like the horseshoe.

Carlaw and Gerrard - Northwest intersection. - I love the coffee shop on the corner but everything else about that block is boring and easily replaced with street level retail. Gee's has been closed down for years (Coolies' never really existed).

Logan and Gerrard - The Beer store is still there but they have a sign up displaying that they are intended to build new townhouses. It could be for First Avenue but I'm not sure.

These are just a few i can remember off the top of my hazy brain at moment. Any other ideas?

North west corner of Carlaw and Gerrard - reserved for the mysteriously named "Pov.Sq." stop on the Downtown Relief Line.

Logan and Gerrard - The Beer store is still there but they have a sign up displaying that they are intended to build new townhouses. It could be for First Avenue but I'm not sure.

I believe the townhouses will be going on a property which lies to the rear of the Beer Store and three or four other properties east of the Beer Store. It would have access from Logan Avenue.

As with most Beer Stores, it would be good to see this one gone, but I don't know of any such plans.

The sign for those townhouses has been there for 8 years....chances are they're not going to be built.

What chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

As with most Beer Stores, it would be good to see this one gone, but I don't know of any such plans.

Take away my Beer Store? Sacrilege!! ;)

The conversion of Woodland into THs was a win for the neighbourhood if not for the owners, who will be putting up with 90 trains a day rattling the windows.

'Redevelopment' implies something bigger than a house reno, which is about all I want to see happen in so-called Prime Riverdale -- don't need any new towers, thanks, but...

The Bell building on Simpson could do a Blueprint-style condo. That'd be cool.

Agreed on Coolie's being razed. Rubble would be better, IMO.

And, on a much bigger note: Blow up Blake/EAST school, put up a midrise affordable housing unit, then move the folks from the Blake-Boultbee tower/bunkers and redevelop that chunk of RE. This is a project I think has great potential. You move the Blake/EAST kids to the old Catholic school on Jones or the ELS school beside Earl Grey, get a fabulous new building like the Donmount re-do for the social housing units, and pay for all the work by selling condos/THs on the old Blake/Boultbee site.

Back