Toronto Canoe Landing Park | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex

Yeah, but remember that she was probably a toddler then. That was the era when you started seeing weird kid names like "Bristol" and "Trig"

has anything in this city been named after jane jacobs? its not as though there are many parks or public squares in the annex.

maybe we can have a wrestling contest to see who gets the park named after themselves. i see christopher hume, lisa rochon, peter kieutenbrouwer and maybe mark kingwell in a free for all cage match in the middle of dundas square.

it could be refereed by david miller. or maybe the mods on this forum?

I would think this is the last place you'd name after Jane Jacobs. But perhaps there was sarcasm in your post ;)

MEL LASTMAN PARK: A place where olympic dreams are squandered, quasi-racist remarks are made, and the army is shipped in to deal with 30cm of snow on the toboggan hill!

Just so you know, it was much more than 30 cm of snow that fell during those 3 storms. It was over 100 if I recall correctly.

It's fashionable to make fun of that situation, but letting Bay Street grind to a halt and using pride as an excuse just doesn't make sense. Plus, we've demonstrated to foreign companies that yeah, the weather can be harsh here, but we're not going to take sick days every time the streets fill with snow.

of course, of course. it was just a joke, a cheap shot at that.

back to the park. i walked by here the other day and like before, not much development. this thing is supposed to open by the summer. is that really realistic? my fear is that development will be so delayed that we'll all have to wait until summer 2010 before we can actually enjoy it.

oh and just in case anybody is still curious, here's another rendering and article concerning the gardiner and the wave art piece, this time from the national post: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...06/02/urban-scrawl-the-gardiner-must-die.aspx

does anyone know what became of this???

Last edited:
Didn't Lake Ontario used to be called Iroquois Lake or Lake Iroquois or something? Along those lines maybe 'Iroquois Shore Park'? Or to take inspiration from Mississauga, maybe 'Hurontario Park' ?

The Lake Iroquois shoreline was quite a ways north of here: you know the little escarpment that runs along the north side of Davenport Road? It's most pronounced section is where Avenue Road climbs up towards Balmoral.

Didn't Lake Ontario used to be called Iroquois Lake or Lake Iroquois or something? Along those lines maybe 'Iroquois Shore Park'? Or to take inspiration from Mississauga, maybe 'Hurontario Park' ?

Ugh, the Mississauga thing. Hurontario Street (and the name) is much, much, much older than Mississauga.

CityPlace Park

The CityPlace Park design is nicely showcased in the CityPlace MasterPlan (http://www.concordpacific.com/images/maps/ConcordCityplaceMasterplan.pdf)

Cityplacepark.jpg

coupland said there's gonna be a massive canoe on top of the toboggan hill.

Really? That's awesome. Where/when did you hear this? Hope that's still in the plans.

yea, giant canoe...

yea so the toboggan hill is located at the southwest corner of the development, right by the gardiner. i imagine it's almost at its maximum height because i don't see it rising above the highway.

it's pretty visible, i think, and it has stairs and large stones embedded into it. the snow has certainly covered up the site alot, so maybe that's why you can't see it.

to illustrate barrytron3030's note .... that feature 'canoe' is in the southwest portion of the park adjacent to the Gardiner, where that red pointy thing is shown just north of the letter 'G'

Back