News   Apr 26, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 429     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Star of Downtown, The (Willowfield/Norstar, 12s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

WaterClub at York and Queens Quay is Kirkor and it's not remotely similar.

Of course not, when you compare Star of Downtown (12s block) to Waterclub (3 x 37s towers).

Look at some of their low and mid-rise works such as the Parkview Towers (2 x 12s), Victoria Tower (12s), Galleria Tower (10s) and the aforementioned Gardens at Queen.

Point being that Kirkor will design anything for anyone, and that they are capable of much better than the Star of Downtown. It all comes down to the developer in this case.

I don't think Kirkor is the problem here, I think it depends more on how the builder's budge on individual projects ~

yes I agree Galleria Tower + Victoria Tower is similarly ugly as SoD:

Galleria.jpg
Victoria.jpg

but personally I am not in objection against Thornhill Towers, Parkview Towers, and Derby Tower also by Kirkor:

Thornhill.jpg
Parkview.jpg
Derby.jpg

Love those ANOTHER SUCCESS STORY red slashes! Success in that they weren't stopped from being built, I guess ...

Given Kirkor's prodigious output, could the powers of "design review" not send a flying squad of A-list talent to their studio to mentor them, and protect the public from more of this? If they're not the sort of firm that links up with developers that require design excellence, and if they don't hold themselves to higher standards, someone ought to lend a hand.

sorry about the RED panels on the bottom right corner ... I just ripped the images from Times Group's site

Holy sh*t ...

I didn't know there were 3 blocks of butterscotch stucco faux victorian townhomes !!?!!?!! :eek::(

March 12 Update

I thought the group could use a bit of action, so I dug this one out from page 6.
Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size

From Wellesley & Bleecker

End units on Bleecker, looking north

My eyes! My eyes!!

Seriously, is that real brick or stucco that is painted to look like brick.

Either way, this is a true horror show.

Last edited:
That is.....incredible..:eek:
Just a couple homey touches to complete this scene.
Pehaps a beat up old car in the foregound, a few banged up metal gabage cans laying about and some clothlines with long underwear hanging.
Then it would be just perfect for a scene out of West Side Story.

Back