News   May 10, 2024
 165     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 621     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 892     1 

Death of Clubland (aka: Is Adam Vaughan trying to kill the Club District?)

Where does Adam Vaughn live? Someone should open up a club next door...

Funny you should mention that. I don't know exactly where he lives, but I remember him being grilled because he didn't live within the Ward he represents, he was like 2 or 3 blocks away or something like that.

The fights and drunken rowdiness that happens on Queen East or West is much different than the drunken rowdiness of Richmond. There is a different behaviour on the street.

How so? It's somehow ok for older people to do this sort of thing, while young people are not allowed to dance and party? It seems to me that Vaughan is not thinking in terms of the city as a whole, but only his NIMBY neighbours.

Concerning this issue, why would Vaughan be thinking about the "city as a whole" when the clubs in question are over-concentrated in just one area? Also, Queen East isn't in Vaughan's ward.

As I live in the area in question, I'd suggest that you not try to pretend that you can dictate the terms of how people should think when living there. The area is not an exclusive "clubland." I live near one such club and I can assure you that some patrons (and they are adults) act like complete idiots. When you start adding up the number of clubs, that results in a large number of idiots.

Anyplace you serve alcohol there are bound to be idiots, the only question I have (which has still not been answered) is why dance clubs are exclusively singled out. Bars and pubs have trouble too, but are not given the high profile that clubs are in the media.

Because the answer is obvious. Many clubs are high volume venues - unlike pubs. And as there are close to seventy clubs concentrated in a roughly one square kilometre area, the numbers of people being drunk and behaving poorly is greatly amplified.

I doubt your local pub (where you live) has people regularly bussed in to drink, dance, scream and vomit.

Funny you should mention that. I don't know exactly where he lives, but I remember him being grilled because he didn't live within the Ward he represents, he was like 2 or 3 blocks away or something like that.

I believe he lives on Manning Ave just north of Queen. I never thought about it, but I guess that is outside his ward.

Because the answer is obvious. Many clubs are high volume venues - unlike pubs. And as there are close to seventy clubs concentrated in a roughly one square kilometre area, the numbers of people being drunk and behaving poorly is greatly amplified.

I doubt your local pub (where you live) has people regularly bussed in to drink, dance, scream and vomit.

In fact, I tend to agree. There ARE far to many clubs in one block for the police to keep everyone safe, but I object to the anger at dance clubs in general.

Those are the venues that tend to attract the large crowds and the disproportionate number of people who opt to behave poorly. The excess of this behaviour helps explain the angry attitude toward it.

The solution would be to entice clubs to other parts of the downtown core, so that there isn't such a large volume of people in a one or two block radius. Closing down the entire district however, is bad public policy, as a 'world class city' as council likes to refer to Toronto; needs a world class nightlife.

I mentioned this already in this thread way back but the police presence in this area is HUGE on Saturday night - and this still doesn't stop the noise. Quite a crowd. The young women are just as bad.:)

The solution would be to entice clubs to other parts of the downtown core, so that there isn't such a large volume of people in a one or two block radius. Closing down the entire district however, is bad public policy, as a 'world class city' as council likes to refer to Toronto; needs a world class nightlife.

I have no issue with seeing clubs in other parts of the city. However, some residents in those parts may not like the results.

With respect to "closing down" and entire club district, one of the problems actually revolves around calling the entire area a "club district" when in fact entertainment is the general designation. The district includes, among other things, many hotels, restaurants, retail stores, pubs, cinemas and theatre venues - along with a range of other businesses. There is even a great rare book store in the area. It's hardly an exclusive domain for clubs, and that idea has to change.

Increasing residential development will also continue to change the area. It will become more diverse and more interesting - which is necessary for a downtown neighbourhood. It's clear that some clubs will always be in the area - albeit greatly reduced in number and, as a result, reduced in terms of negative effects.

As for "world class" nightlife, I'd suggest a closer look at some of these venues. "Class" is not a word that instantly comes to mind.

The problem with that is zoning. This area is basically the only area downtown that is allowed to house clubs as far as I know.

The problem with that is zoning. This area is basically the only area downtown that is allowed to house clubs as far as I know.

I believe so.What i dont understand is why Adam Vaughan is promoting new development in this area to bring in families,then when these condo proposols are summited to the city he is the first to to start a resistance and reject most plans. I figure this guy dont like clubs or tall buildings.

Here is some info on this fellow.

As a member of City Council Vaughan sits on the Planning and Growth Management Committee, Affordable Housing Action Committee, The Toronto Arts Council, The Art Gallery of Ontario Commission, Artscape Board, The Board of Trustees for the Art Gallery of Ontario, The Layman's Council, The Heritage Board, The Harbourfront Centre Board, The Water Board, and The Library Board. The first term councillor is also the Vice Chair of The Toronto and East York Community Council. Additionally he sits on the city's Heritage Board, Preservation Board

Last edited:
What i dont understand is why Adam Vaughan is promoting new development in this area to bring in families,then when these condo proposols are summited to the city he is the first to to start a resistance and reject most plans.

This is completely untrue. His ward is one of the most prolific condo development areas in North America. Your statement illustrates just how little you know about what is going on. Give us an example of one project which he rejected?

Back