2.4K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 756     0 

Bus Seats Redesign??

jks

Continuous Lurker
Member Bio
Reaction score
I was coming back from getting a new passport from the Passport Canada Office the other day. It was a complete pain in the ass. Bu that's not important right now. On the way back I got into a Mississauga Transit bus, it was one of the new articulated New Flyers with the curvy front. I got in, and all the seats looked different. They were less plushy, but MUCH more anatomical, and were VERY comfortable. The back was also a bit taller. Oh, and all the upholstery had this funky blue design with different coloured squiggles. Is this their new seating and colour scheme?? I hope so, the seats were very very comfortable :D:D, and the design is a HUGE improvement over the cold brown seats from before.

I also saw these kinds of seats, of course in TTC colours, on my route, 49, a few months ago. But I haven't seen those seats anywhere else since. :(

By the way, the bus was on route 26 Burnhamthorpe.

I was also wondering if they might add these types of seats on the subway.

These seats also seem to allow more room for the knees as well.

These seats also seem to allow more room for the knees as well.

Yes! This is my favourite part about these seats as well. There's a few TTC buses around with these seats (like many TTC new things, it's a "pilot" project). They are generally superior seats.

I think most of the MT 2008s have these seats.

425088852_3a48d31d36.jpg

425088827_df856005eb.jpg

The TTC has (or had) only one bus like this. It was to test whether these seats would provide more legroom, especially at the back.

Ultimately, they decided to keep the old seats and take out 2 from the back for their new hybrids.

Shame cuz these seats sorta do look sexy :p

Oh no! That's the Mississauga Muse! She's been missing around these parts for a while.

I believe that bus is history as it had break fire not to long ago and did a number on it.

Everyone is still trying find out what cause the problem as it will determine who picks up the cost of either fixing it or replacing it considering it was only 7 months old. This is assuming the bus can be repair and I don't think so.

Saw the Muse in Nov and nice video.

I do like the new seats on the 800's and 900's that have good leg room. Better than the brown stuff as well TTC'.

Last edited:
I like the look of the elongated back. One of my main complaints with the TTC's current seats is that there is no upper back support at all. I'm not even a tall person, so I shudder to think what the experience is like for them.

Only the new artics have seats like this. The new 40 foot buses have improved seats as well but they are not the same (made of plastic, not metal, and imo not as comfortable but still much better than the old design).

^
Although comfortable, there's not a lot of leg room on VIVA. Also, the seats are slightly inadequate after an hour bus ride from Finch to Newmarket, though the fare is pretty reasonable.

I agree with gboy. While I do like the interior of the Viva buses overall, I don't actually find the seats very comfortable especially for longer rides. However, there's a lot of variability depending on which set of seats you choose. Some are placed at odd heights on top of the wheel wells, etc., and some seem to be non-standard heights from the floor which can leave shorter rider's legs dangling (highly uncomfortable). Also, depending where you sit in the bus the suspension can be quite jarring with every bump absorbed by your backbone.

The seats themselves are great for short to medium trips, but I've done the entire Newmarket to Finch ride, and I agree. I know the best seat for legroom too - the double seat almost opposite the rear most doors on the artics.

Then again, the usual transit seat isn't adequate for an hour's ride on a bus, and that's why GO has suburban seating on its buses.

True, these seats are great for short runs. They're nice and snug. The fabric holds you in place quite well. However, on longer trips they could prove to be too rigid.

Gone are the days of the flat vinyl covering where every sharp turn could turn into a seat-surfing experience.

Back