News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 413     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Rouge Bijou (Downtown Markham, Remington, 10 + 3x 7s, Quadrangle)

lol the worst thing is if you've driven up to the site.

I did, but the last time was about 5 months ago.

Every building is identical! lol

It makes for a good built form and street wall but still ... looks like a large up scale commie block :)

I'm exaggerating here :) I think it'll turn out fine. What's disappointing to me is I thought most of these developments were mixed use ... the way they are designed fits that very well ... oh well.

December 13 2008 update

Rouge Bijou 'series' - as I call it, nice streetwall at least :p
IMG_2902.jpg

Rouge Bijou (A) - northwest view (of the first 4 bldgs only this I like~)
IMG_2903.jpg

Rouge Bijou (A) - southwest view
IMG_2904.jpg

Rouge Bijou (A) - southeast view
IMG_2905.jpg

Rouge Bijou Terraces (B) - south view
IMG_2906.jpg

Rouge Bijou Terraces (B) - north view
IMG_2907.jpg

Rouge Bijou Promenade (C) - south view
IMG_2908.jpg

Rouge Bijou Promenade (C) - north view
IMG_2909.jpg

Rouge Bijou Arbor (D) - south view
IMG_2910.jpg

Rouge Bijou Arbor (D) - north view
IMG_2911.jpg

Townhouses @ Downtown Markham
IMG_2901.jpg

And a plan that shows the relative location of these buildings
DTM_phase1.jpg

I can't say I'm fan eventhough it's probably my favourite of the more traditional brick colours and usually it compliments pre-cast rather well. The stacked townhouses are just awful in every way imaginable.

Overall, I'm not impressed especially considering the pricing.

Last edited:
Woot thanks for posting them Solaris!

Alright, here I go:

Like the above comment those town houses are YUCK ...

Now the buildings, as standalone structure they look decent, pretty good. But with all of them being the same I get the commie block North vive going on in my head :) Kinda what I was afraid of a while back.

Wait sorry,

Are these the ones with retail or without?

Without right?

A shame they're kinda fitting for retail at grade.

Retail? Looks like another tower-in-the-park development. When will the planners of suburban downtowns ever learn what a real downtown looks like?

The that's pushing it a bit .. for the suburbs this is pretty good ... really good.

The next phase farther east is suppose to have retail.

Retail? Looks like another tower-in-the-park development. When will the planners of suburban downtowns ever learn what a real downtown looks like?

It's proposed and in walking distance to these towers.

horrible.... typical remington styling which is cheap looking and with no style at all. Very boring which i was afraid of.

Why are all 3 buildings exactly the same?. For goodness sake, can't they make them different brick colors at least.... geez.

I hope I'm not witnessing Markham bashing fro the sake of Markham bashing ... these aren't that bad at all ... there are a lot of developments in the 416 that are quite a bit worse then this ... they meet the street well ...

They're only part of a greater neighborhood which will contain retail.

Yes, like in my previous post I do think they could have been better - I don't like the fact all the buildings are the same / similar but still! I think it's a good step for the area.

Where else can you see buildings that close together in the 905 (minus very few select areas) it should provide some density you can't argue that.

I hope I'm not witnessing Markham bashing fro the sake of Markham bashing ... these aren't that bad at all ... there are a lot of developments in the 416 that are quite a bit worse then this ... they meet the street well ...

Not really. There's grass boulevards along the street in the render.

I think it's just seperating the sidewalk from the street ... it's not bad idea in the Suburbs.

Either way it shouldn't hurt to much ... I don't like the idea of making the street any wider (even if it's not for cars!).

there will not be grass boulevards in front (south) of these buildings, instead a 'civic mall' will line the south edge of Rouge Bijou buildings (shown in foreground below) where it will be dedicated for pedestrians and VIVA transit ...

16RougeBijou_R1_AD.jpg
17RougeBijou-Terraces.jpg

Here you can see the 'civic mall' labelled as Simcoe Promenade
MasterPlan_PressRoom_final.jpg

2712771188_a29245432b_o.jpg

Last edited:
March 19 2009 update

Rouge Bijou (Bldg A) - glass is nearly all IN !
IMG_3536.jpg

Rouge Bijou Terraces (Bldg B)
IMG_3537.jpg

Rouge Bijou Promenade (Bldg C)
IMG_3538.jpg

Rouge Bijou Arbor (Bldg D)
IMG_3539.jpg

May 5 2009 update

Rouge Bijou (Bldg 'A') - 1 additional floor of glass ... slow progress here
IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

Rouge Bijou Terrace/Promenade/Arbor (Bldgs 'B', 'C', 'D') - no excitment here