News   May 09, 2024
 617     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 487     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 822     1 

High Park Lofts on Roncesvalles (Stinson, 7s, Stanford Downey)

I could write an epic novel on this building but I won't.

I was a FORMER owner of a unit at HPL - #401, which is the fourth floor unit in the corner, where the bell tower was. It was a three level 1,400sqft loft that was going to be AMAZING.

Long story short, after 5 years (yes, you heard me, FIVE years) of waiting from time of deposit, and after a massive change in the condo budget which saw my unit's condo fees nearly triple, I pulled chute and rescinded my agreement (thankfully at no cost/penalty to me). The unit would have been spectacular, but I just couldn't stand it any longer.

Harry is an interesting guy, I will say that for sure. For the most part, very nice to deal with, but more of a 'dreamer' than a business man. He let us rejig our floorplan at least three times without objection...no wonder the building took so long. Other than construction issues galore (hitting massive amounts of water, piles almost rupturing buried oil tanks from the place down the street, fire code issues that lead to massive changes etc), there were MANY administrative errors along the way too.

Many of you may not know but the building is actually quite remarkable in a number of ways. First, it uses geothermal heating and cooling all year round, to minimize hydro costs. Second, it has a fully glass ceiling/atrium down the middle of the building, making everything open in the center, with units only on the perimeter. This means that the lobby is all full of natural light, a 'living' wall, trees etc. This ALSO means that all the units that run the length of the building (not mine, as it was on an end) have INTERIOR balconies and windows. Super cool. Oh, almost forgot. There were ~200sqft rooftop plots available for purchase which were gardens for residents, complete with garden boxes, water bib and direct phone line connected to unit.

Here are a few shots from our pre-completion tour.

atrium2.jpg

atrium3.jpg

atrium5.jpg

And from our corner 4th floor unit...(on middle level, stairs to go up and down). Hope the new owner is enjoying the unit because a lot of blood sweat and tears went into this sucker.

upperstairs.jpg

upperview.jpg

viewfrommasterroom.jpg

K

Thanks for the photos! I really didn't know there were so many unique elements to the building. Those interior balconies are gimmicky, yet captivating in their surreal way.

Thanks Rondosa - that's remarkable. Were those photos taken last winter or this?

January of 2007...just before we pulled chute. All the residents are in, and I understand that they are still having some issues here and there but for the most part everything is completed (save for the living wall). When I was there for my site visit, I was overwhelmed at how loud the street car was, even up on the 4th floor. I'm quite pleased at how the vibration plates are working in our new building, Twenty Gothic, which is overtop the High Park TTC station. Too bad HPL didn't consider a system like this.

The interior windows and balconies are in addition to the exterior balconies and windows as well, and just enable you to have a more diverse set of floor plans other than the typical "inside kitchen, outside bedroom so that you have a window in your bedroom".

K

That's pretty spectacular. Thanks for sharing those pics, Rondosa.

It's a shame the exterior looks like bad 90's pomo.

Condo Critic: Roncesvalles retains its village flavour
August 1, 2009

Christopher Hume

Roncesvalles Ave. has achieved almost mythical status in Toronto; it is that rarest of places, an urban village. And indeed, it is exactly that. Though in danger of losing to development some of the very qualities that make it so attractive, it remains a sought-after area.

The reasons aren't hard to fathom; an established neighbourhood with a solid housing stock, most of it pre-war, Roncesvalles is also close to parks and other civic amenities. Even better, it has not been overrun by the chains and franchises that have such a deadly homogenizing effect wherever they go. There's no better example of retained local flavour than the fish-and-chip restaurant that also offers a Thai food menu.

Of course, in Toronto this sort of appeal can be a recipe for disaster. Once a neighbourhood has been identified as desirable, the developers move in and remake it in the image of a condo. Look no farther than West Queen West, now being turned into a highrise precinct that could pretty well be anywhere.

chume@thestar.ca
Condo Critic

HIGH PARK LOFTS, 437 RONCESVALLES AVE.: There are some good intentions behind this project, but they don't quite add up.

Situated at the corner of Roncesvalles and Ritchie Aves., it manages to do its bit for an awkwardly shaped site, but the materials and architectural quality are frankly disappointing.

And as much as one might welcome the idea of a clock tower on the "prow" of the building, the reality is that it ends up looking cheap and inappropriate, even out of place.

With its large windowed facades and angularity, this big warehouse-like structure might feel less obtrusive in a more urban setting, but here on Roncesvalles it seems overly large and unsympathetic.

A two-storey precast podium does what it can to anchor the building to its site, but the condo looms over the neighbourhood regardless.

But above all, the problems of this project are a result of design as much as size, materials, massing and the like.

For example, the clock at the top of the tower is finished in coloured glass that fails wildly. Though hard to explain why, it may be because the colours themselves are ill suited, don't match or make sense in this context.

This may sound unduly picky, but given that the tower is an obvious landmark, a neighbourhood beacon, its appearance is important, if not critical. One thinks of the campanile-like clock tower at the old Summerhill train-station-turned-liquor-store and realizes that done well, such a gesture can define a whole district – and for all the right reasons.

GRADE: C

^ thats funny I just had fish and chips their last night, the restaurant is called Miss Vickeys it's at Howard Park and Roncey the Thai food there is excellent as well. As for the Stinson property I like it call me crazy. Anything is better than a Kfc.

Is there any retail moved in to the bottom of HIGH PARK LOFTS yet? It would be nice to see a grocery store or something.

^Yep, a couple art galleries have moved in, and just beside HPL, a new fashion boutique has opened. Across the street, four former retail dives are for rent--future art gallery spaces, perhaps? Would be cool (for me:)) if the area became a mini-art gallery hot spot. Switch Contemporary gallery is across the street too.

Back