Toronto Nicholas Residences | ?m | 35s | Urban Capital | Core Architects

Looks like the same site but different architect and developer, Diamondcorp purchased the land in June 2008, the application just went in this week, I saw it in the Toronto Star.

St Nicholas

I had just heard about the proposed development on St. Joseph street. I haven't looked at the proposal in any detail but I have to admit I have concerns about a huge tower, but I will reserve judgement until I have had a chance to review the planning documents.

I hadn't heard about the one on 25 St. Nicholas street.

With all of this proposed development going underway, seems like a heritage study is needed even more. Thank's for the info on the planning process, we should getting working on it and see where it leads.

Though remember that I was speaking of a very specific, concentrated unit of little change (thus far)--the St Nick/St Mary/Irwin/Yonge block. Not merely a "district"--a block. A microcosm of little-changed urbanity that merits a study in itself--and perhaps not simply for "heritage conservation district" purposes, though yes, it may feed that. (Think in terms of a publication, an exhibition, etc...)

It's a remarkably interesting block, let me tell you. To speak of it in blunt terms as something aging and obsolete and meriting slick intensification really is obtuse.

And yes, I'm not denying there's stuff "of heritage interest" beyond the block, too...

November 7 2008 update

note: sorry poor quality phone camera

Just to share with UT the posters found plastered around St. Nicholas Street ... reads pretty NIMBY to me ;)

caption in the bottom left of the poster reads "Yes this is to scale !" referring to the proposed building shown in the poster (in black) contrasted with the existing townhouses to the south (in orange)

DSC00233.jpg

DSC00234.jpg

DSC00235.jpg

Here's a view looking at the southwest corner of Yonge and St. Nicholas, that office building is definitely an eyesore ~ the good thing is the existing context is shown, including the apartment building at the southwest corner of St Mary + St Nicolas is shown beyond in the background

DSC00230.jpg

(1) IMO Scientology's no eyesore; in fact, it's one of the most mysterious, underrated and underaltered (original windows!) postwar-era office buildings in Toronto

(2) it isn't endangered by this proposal. The neo-Georgian lowrise to its right is.

The only eyesore-ish aspect of the Scientology Building is the random air conditioning units, otherwise, it's a gem which just needs some tlc. I'm disappointed that no one seems to champion the neo-Georgian low rise, as adma describes it. It almost feels like it has been there as long as the rest of that block along St. Nicholas. I'm particularly fond of the fan shape windows over the doors and the arched window lighting the staircase. Nice brick, nice detailing and a fine example of a type of post war architecture which is unfortunately being becoming far too scare in this city. It would be such a crime to destroy one of the very few attractive intimate downtown streets. I'm generally all in favour of new high rises but this proposal just seems so ill thought out.

note: sorry poor quality phone camera

Just to share with UT the posters found plastered around St. Nicholas Street ... reads pretty NIMBY to me ;)

caption in the bottom left of the poster reads "Yes this is to scale !" referring to the proposed building shown in the poster (in black) contrasted with the existing townhouses to the south (in orange)

These posters are up all over the place and have been for about a month, all the way over to at least Jarvis Street in the east.

Those posters are very nimby. Condos infesting the city and stuff. *insert eyeroll here*

This building would be fine in this location. My only concern if I lived on the street would be traffic. Maybe have no parking garage for the building like 426 University.

There is always concern when tall buildings invade a neigbourhood.But again these area residents against any development must get out of the closet and realize that todays point towers are much slimmer and occupy very little space,and can actually benifit this downtown neighbourhood.

How does a condo INFEST the city?

I'd have more sympathy with these soon-to-be new neighbours of mine if they didn't resort to such low-brow tactics. It's eerily similar to the ignorant and over-the-top negative ad campaigns of the U.S. Republican Party. The strategy may be effective towards the uneducated but it just makes this group look silly.

How does a condo INFEST the city?

Didn't you read the Toronto Public Health memo? Condos, like the Cheapeningtm, are the new pandemic. Some compare these infestations to SARS, West Nile, Bird Flu, Small Pox and Yellow Fever, only much worse. Apparently, Condos spread like a virus through tough or contact with an infected person. If you believe you've come in contact with Condos or know of anyone you know with Condos, it is advisable to see your doctor immediately.

The situation is apparently so bad at the University Health Network, where the localized Condo infestation has reached a critical point, the board has agreed to build a new 20+ storey research facility on Bay St -- near the heart of the epicenter -- to curb the infestation. Some experts fear this is only a patchwork method. According to one source, going by the name of Troll, the only way to stop to the spread of the Condos is to go on internet message boards and start weekly rumours regarding the cancellation of high-profile infected sites. Did you hear that 1BE was canceled?

Only time will tell if either of these methods will stop the infestation. In the meantime, concerns about Condos companion disease, the Cheapening, are being overshadowed by the slowness of podium construction around the city.

Well, the "nimby's" do have a point. For example, Eglinton Avenue West is lined with 8-15 story apt buildings.... So, should streets like Castlewood or Castle Knock Rd be rezoned for highrises? Afterall, a subway route is planned, and existing transit is nearby....
No, while the tower planned for this site is no doubt attractive, perhaps a land or density swap could happen? (Like they do in Vancouver.)

btw, Scientology building is gorgeous, it just needs cleaned up and de-culted.

And, that St Mary slab must come down. And replaced by a shorter building.

Last edited:
The reaction to the proposed tower is overblown. The architect has taken pains in designing the base of the building so that its base reflects the qualities and scale of the neighbourhood. For comparison, the north Radio City tower fronts onto Mutual St., and regardless of its height, it fits in quite nicely with the two storey homes and does not detract from the residential character of the street. Though some further adjustments to the proposal might be warranted, its height alone is no reason to demand the cancellation of the project outright.

Back