News   May 17, 2024
 2.5K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Nuit Blanche

I'm honourd to be grouped among the culteral elite! But that's not what I saw there. I saw more hipsters, 'artsy' college/university kids (who were drunk and/or high), and loud mouths than I saw cultural elites on Saturday night. Not to say they weren't there but I didn't see them in any number. Do you actually think there are 1 million cutural types in and around this city? Then again maybe I was in the wrong areas (Zone A and B).

Well, how many people like this did you see?
rford.jpg

Or like this?
sarah-palin-1.jpg

I rest my case.

according to the Tories if you vote Liberal/ NDP your a cultural elitist.

There are over a million Liberal/NDP votes in the Toronto area!!! :D:D

Hume on Nuit Blanche

I obviously can't vouch for all that is said below. But I find that the people energy and interaction are a big part of the attraction to this event. And I agree with Hume's comment that, in light of the extreme crowding of the streets, with cars, bikes and people, it IS a wonder no one was seriously hurt...

Wasn't there someone who got hit by a streetcar at College & Spadina? Did that have something to do with Nuit Blanche (even if it was off the primary orbit)?

ya a 24 year old girl did. Not sure if it counts as a Nuit Blanche casualty, but it happened at like 4am that night. It easily could have been just from too many drinks since apparently she fell backwards and under the streetcar.

I was eating right next to the accident when it happened. I saw the fire trucks and ambulance arrive. It was quite horrible. I really hope that she's alright. I've been looking around to see if there are any follow-up articles on her condition.

How awful.

Gaudi was run over by a tram. He was dressed in ragged clothes and nobody recognized him, he was taken to a pauper's hospital, refused to be taken to a better one ... and died. I think it always pays to be dressed to the nines at all times. One never knows.

How awful.

Gaudi was run over by a tram. He was dressed in ragged clothes and nobody recognized him, he was taken to a pauper's hospital, refused to be taken to a better one ... and died. I think it always pays to be dressed to the nines at all times. One never knows.

Ah, but Gaudi *refused*. So to him, it paid otherwise. (No wonder he's been offered as a candidate for canonization, or something.)

smaller exhibits

How were the crowds at the smaller gallery clusters that are the reason for the zones being placed the way they are? Are people being drawn into them?

Mostly throngs of people seemingly hungry like me for something to be inspired by.

I agree with you completely. Most exhibits were very underwhelming. The photography display at commerce court however was definitely quite inspiring. Everyone there seemed to be moved by it.

Nuit Blanche 2009 + Russell Smith's Toronto-Haters Column

http://www.scotiabanknuitblanche.ca/home.shtml

2009 Program Announced.

I'm so pleased to learn that the budget for Nuit Blanche has risen to close to $2 million, and for the first time includes the provincial government with $300,000 to enhance, expand and promote the event.

Highlights:

•"Beautiful Light: Four Letter Word Machine" (D. A. Therrien). See that picture at the very top of this post? That is what happens when you suspend four seven-metre square lamp arrays above City Hall. The displays will change over the course of the night, and will include codes, DNA sequences, and "elemental words." (We are guessing that they will not be of the four-letter variety.) Supposing the weather is clear, it will be legible for miles.

•"Rabbit" (Jeff Koons). We can only hope that this giant shiny bunny, which will be suspended in the Eaton Centre, will play nicely with the geese that are already there.

•"Space Becomes the Instrument" (Gordon Monahan). Massey Hall is going to be turned into an enormous musical instrument: piano strings are being strung across the hall and will be played (plucked?) by live performers. Possibly the best idea for a sound installation, ever.

•"Wild Ride" (Shawna Dempsey and Lorri Millan). It's a midway on Bay Street, complete with rides (meant to evoke the rollercoaster of the marketplace) and cotton candy (meant to evoke…cotton candy?), staffed by "recently downsized businesspeople." We're not sure if this is an exercise in shadenfreude or comic relief, but in either case count us in.

•"Vodka Pool" (Dan Mihaltianu). A reflecting pool made of 100%, honest-to-goodness vodka. We imagine the highlight will be the elaborate security measures that organizers need to introduce to prevent passersby from taking a dip.

20090616nuitblanche1.jpg

3c733aec4e1f8141c64bbb668570.jpeg

Louroz

I forget what it's called, or who the artist is, but one of the exhibits is a hallucinatory light exhibit. It sounds really interesting.
I've missed all of the Nuit Blanche's so far, and I just can't miss this one. Oh and the dancing cranes, how cool is that going to be!?

Oh and there is going to be a midway in Bay St. The rides are going to reflect the up and down of the market, haha.

Here's the article I read from CBC.ca:

Jeff Koons, Geoffrey Farmer set for 2009 Nuit Blanche
Toronto's all-night art event features Mexican wrestlers, dancing cranes

rabbit-250.jpg

Jeff Koons will bring one of his famed Rabbit sculptures, like this one seen in New York, to Toronto for Nuit Blanche.Jeff Koons will bring one of his famed Rabbit sculptures, like this one seen in New York, to Toronto for Nuit Blanche. (Nuit Blanche)

American artist Jeff Koons will bring his Rabbit sculpture and Vancouver artist Geoffrey Farmer will outfit a downtown church with a machine capable of inducing hallucinations at the fourth edition of Toronto's Nuit Blanche.

The all-night contemporary art festival is scheduled for Oct. 3, from dusk to dawn, organizers announced Tuesday at a news conference at the Art Gallery of Ontario.

The sneak peak offered by the event's four curators included everything from Mexican wrestlers fighting blind in a cage at the Toronto bus station to a midway on Bay Street with rides that mimic the motion of this year's financial markets.

Coun. Kyle Rae of Toronto introduced this year's curators:

* Gregory Elgstrand, a curator, writer and producer who has worked at the Art Gallery of Calgary and was behind the exhibitions in 2006 and 2008 at the Gladstone Hotel.
* Thom Sokoloski, a performing artist who specializes in large-scale public arts projects.
* Jim Drobnick and Jennifer Fisher, curators who focus on touch, taste, smell and the "sixth sense."
* Makiko Hara, the Japanese-born curator of the Vancouver International Centre for Contemporary Asian Art.

gone-indian-250.jpg

Vancouver artist Rebecca Belmore's Gone Indian installation will feature a powwow dancer on a red pickup cruising the city's financial district.Vancouver artist Rebecca Belmore's Gone Indian installation will feature a powwow dancer on a red pickup cruising the city's financial district. (Courtesy of Rebecca Belmore/Nuit Blanche)

This year's Nuit Blanche will involve 550 artists and curators from around the world, with dozens of independent institutions creating their own art projects for the night.

Hara is bringing Kyohei Sakaguchi from Japan with a work called Bicitycle that shows a dozen "mobile homes" based on the bicycle and Dance of the Cranes by Brandon Vickerd of Toronto, which involves a 13-minute performance by high-rise construction cranes.

Koons, one of the U.S. most controversial contemporary artists, is known for his giant balloon animals with mirrored surfaces, including his current series Rabbit.

Farmer is working with a device called a stroboscopic machine which will be installed in the Church of the Holy Trinity, and can induce visions among those who sit in the pews with their eyes closed. The device is accompanied by organ music composed by the artist.

Other notable installations:

* Ghost Chorus — Dirge for Dead Slang, by Toronto's Katie Bethune-Leaman, a chorus in Larry Sefton park that will sing outmoded slang of the past.
* Space Becomes an Instrument: Massey Hall will be strung with long piano strings to be played by live performers while the audience watches from the stage, by Gordon Monahan.
* Bill Viola video installation: California video artist will project his work on the Canadian Tire at Bay and Dundas streets.
* Monopoly with Real Money: Toronto celebrities, including financiers, will play the board game throughout the night in an installation by Iain Baxter of Windsor, Ont.
* Gone Indian: Vancouver artist Rebecca Belmore brings a powwow dancer on a red pickup that will cruise the financial district.
* Vodka Pool: A reflective pool of 80-proof vodka by Dan Mihaltianu of Berlin.
* 10 Scents: Montreal artist Chih-Chien Wang creates a smell installation involving 10 scents from Alice in Wonderland.
* Sounding space: Three Toronto artists create a sound installation that reacts to the movements of participants.

"What we're finding out this year is the degree to which the curator and the artist have to work together," Drobnick told CBC News. "It's that customized vision that makes a difference at Nuit Blanche."

Drobnick said he chose artists that would play to senses such as smell and sound, as well as vision.

The all-night event is extending into new sites this year, he said, including the CN Tower, which run a light show synchronized to a radio broadcast.

therrien-city-hall-250.jpg

D.A. Therrien's Beautiful Light: Four Letter Word Machine will take over City Hall.D.A. Therrien's Beautiful Light: Four Letter Word Machine will take over City Hall. (Nuit Blanche)City Hall, which was lit up by Blinkenlights in 2008, also will feature a light installation.

Beautiful Light: Four Letter Word Machine, by Phoenix, Ariz., artist D.A. Therrien will blast an ever-changing display of words between the city hall towers throughout the night.

Mayor David Miller, one of the event's biggest boosters, said Nuit Blanche drew 100,000 tourists to Toronto in 2008, amid crowds of more than one million people.

This year the city plans to shut down McCaul St., a portion of Bay Street, and Liberty Street to make it easier for pedestrians to get around the city. The TTC has also promised all-night service on both subway lines.

The province announced a $300,000 grant toward Nuit Blanche, which resulted in $13.7 million in economic activity in 2008, according to Miller.

Source

Last edited:

Back