53387454350_83a306caa8_b.jpg

53386099617_a72f1e3460_b.jpg

53387205283_903cc09390_b.jpg

South side
53387454165_2dda522d90_b.jpg

53386099412_385583cc89_b.jpg

53387205188_8524495a72_b.jpg

53387022416_23cc618679_b.jpg

Increased cost of fares is another disadvantage of taking the train from Confederation over Burlington.
Currently it costs about $50+ more a month to take the train to Union Station from Hunter compared to taking it from Burlington. I suspect the fare from Confederation will be even higher than it is at Hunter since the distance is longer.
Have you factored in the cost of gas to get to/from Burlington, the wear and tear on the vehicle, your travel time, but most of all fighting traffic each way as well out of the parking lot???

Not everyone will do this as well thinking they are better off not having to deal with traffic. Not everyone drives these days that there are fewer young people who want to drive and own a vehicle these days.

May not work for you but will for others.

Have you factored in the cost of gas to get to/from Burlington, the wear and tear on the vehicle, your travel time, but most of all fighting traffic each way as well out of the parking lot???

Not everyone will do this as well thinking they are better off not having to deal with traffic. Not everyone drives these days that there are fewer young people who want to drive and own a vehicle these days.

Most people internalize the cost of car ownership as a sunk cost without per km costs. Not to mention the subjective or difficult to quantify cost of safety and comfort.

I understand the anti-car sentiment, but the use case here is a commuter train. And time is precious for the vast majority of commuters. And the vast majority of commuters have cars and are well-served by having those cars.

And the reality for Hamilton in general is that you are much better served by having a car than not. The drive from Main and Kenilworth to Juravinski Hospital is six minutes. The bus ride is 48 minutes.

I understand the anti-car sentiment, but the use case here is a commuter train. And time is precious for the vast majority of commuters. And the vast majority of commuters have cars and are well-served by having those cars.

And the reality for Hamilton in general is that you are much better served by having a car than not. The drive from Main and Kenilworth to Juravinski Hospital is six minutes. The bus ride is 48 minutes.
I mean, first of all it's 37 minutes, no 48. Secondly, that's a super random trip that hopefully most aren't taking regularly.

And lastly, that ignored the statement that many people do not own cars or cannot drive whether driving is convenient or not. Not to mention those who choose to take transit over driving in some circumstances, yes, we exist. I drive, but often choose transit, especially the train because it's more comfortable even though it takes longer. My mother did the same thing. She took the train for a decade into Toronto despite driving being faster. My aunt was in a similar circumstance. People do choose to not drive out of comfort.

I saw 48 minutes when I punched it into Google Maps --- and 37 minutes is still plenty relative to six. And that is strictly travel time and doesn't include wait time at any given moment. And look at the return trip as well. And the example was a case in point. It is not the only such configuration that is difficult.

And there is no ignoring or downplaying of people who do take public transit. Commuters who take the GO tend to have cars. Hamiltonians are better served by having a car than by taking the HSR if they have the means and the ability to drive. Connections/transfers can be very challenging.

My ultimate point was that I believe that many Hamiltonians will find driving to Burlington GO a better option than taking the Confederation GO. And that belief holds.

Its locations locations as to where one lives as well quality of service. Burlington will offer 15 minutes service compare to 60 in other locations. Maybe in future, that 60 may become 15, but will take big bucks to get 3/4 tracks into existing corridors as well time to do it.

Quality of transit right across the board has to improve everywhere to deal with the coming lack of road space to travel by car as well where to park. Building new highways will not cut it as well taking decades to build. The QEW and the 403 lack ROW space until you get west of Hamilton on the 403.

Your choice may not be other choice who do. I for one who not drive to Burlington if I live in the east end or close to the city centre. Fighting traffic has become too stressful and why I prefer to use transit.

Its locations locations as to where one lives as well quality of service. Burlington will offer 15 minutes service compare to 60 in other locations. Maybe in future, that 60 may become 15, but will take big bucks to get 3/4 tracks into existing corridors as well time to do it.

Quality of transit right across the board has to improve everywhere to deal with the coming lack of road space to travel by car as well where to park. Building new highways will not cut it as well taking decades to build. The QEW and the 403 lack ROW space until you get west of Hamilton on the 403.

Your choice may not be other choice who do. I for one who not drive to Burlington if I live in the east end or close to the city centre. Fighting traffic has become too stressful and why I prefer to use transit.
WH and Confederation will be at least 30 minute service in future fyi.

WH and Confederation will be at least 30 minute service in future fyi.
Well aware of that, but time means different thing to others, let alone ML who calls the shots who are told my MTO what the government wants.

I have, and as already mentioned - many people already consider it a sunk cost of owning a car and it doesn't factor in their decision.

I agree, different people will have different thoughts on it. Some will prefer to drive to Burlington while others will pay the extra money for comfort/safety and accept the extra long commute and extra money. I'm not saying one is right or wrong - just trying to include additional variables that people will use in their decision making. I know a couple people who live on Stoney Creek mountain who commute to Toronto with GO and the Confederation station is a non-starter for them. They say they'll still prefer to drive past it down the RHVP all the way to Burlington. Their thought is that they're saving a lot of time and some money this way.

Back