News   May 03, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 681     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 308     0 

Islington Village / Six Points (Etobicoke)

I really think it would be fun to get together as an Islington Village social group to have a couple drinks and discussion....any "Villagers" interested?

That is unfortunate, let's hope it actually comes about in '07.

Islington Village

I really love living in this area, yes the local TTC service might be somewhat slow and crappy, but I like all the stuff in this little area.. bank, mini market, churches, subway sandwiches, 3 pharmacies, a really good walk in clinic, 2 coffee shops, 2 pizza shops and much more, Even a funeral home!
Although we need a Grocery store, the old Food Basics was ripped out for condos!
The local TTC routes that go through the village are 30 Lambton and 50 Burnhamthrope, the 37 is a long walk away for me and the walk to the station is a little dangerous for the large population of blind/disabled/seniors that are in the area...

So thats my little thumbs up for my area....since I didnt see a topic for it already...

I rode through on whatever bus it is that runs from South Common mall in Mississauga to Kipling station. You live in a charming little village for sure.;)

That's great to hear--my wife and I will be moving from Square One into the Village in the fall (Michael Power Place) and I quite like the area. Too bad about the Food Basics as I enjoy the convenience of walking to get groceries but the rest of the area seems quite good. If you have any tips or recommendations for someone who doesn't know the area well I'd love to hear them.

I've heard people refer to this part of the city as "Islington, Ontario." Some even use the Islington moniker on postal correspondence.

Kind of like 'Willowdale". Haven't heard that in ages. When I was a kid in the 50s, the older folks would refer to Eglinton Park as 'Pears' Park; after the early brickyard incarnation.

For those that don't know.......Islington was a village of it's own, and if you take a look at the building to the east of the graveyard on Dundas, just west of the Burhamthorpe and Dundas intersection, you will be looking at the former "town hall " of Islington. It is now a bar.

It was the town office, and in the first few years, after the 1956 amalgamation of all the local Police forces, into the Metropolitan Toronto Police Service, it was the original 22 Division, before the current 2 District Head Quarters building was built on Bloor Street , near the six points intersection .

Prior to 1956, many of the smaller towns and villages in the Toronto area had their own Police and fire services, such as Mimico, Long Branch, New Toronto, Etobicoke, Swansea, Weston, Forrest Hill, East York, and Scarborough ( note the proper spelling of that name ) . Some of the current suburban Toronto Fire Service stations are actually ones that were built by those long gone towns, such as TFS station 16 located on De Forrest Avenue in Swansea.

The building which is now the Goodwill on Dundas, was the "Islington Post Office " when I was a boy in the 1950's.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.

For those that don't know.......Islington was a village of it's own, and if you take a look at the building to the east of the graveyard on Dundas, just west of the Burhamthorpe and Dundas intersection, you will be looking at the former "town hall " of Islington. It is now a bar.

It was the town office, and in the first few years, after the 1956 amalgamation of all the local Police forces, into the Metropolitan Toronto Police Service, it was the original 22 Division, before the current 2 District Head Quarters building was built on Bloor Street , near the six points intersection .

Actually, Islington was never an incorporated village. The building in question was the former township hall for all of Etobicoke. And it became the local cop shop after the Etobicoke Civic Centre was built out on 427...

Though even that "small building" may have been the most substantial pre-WWII "township hall" in Metro416land...

I hate to say it but it's pretty much the only interesting building in Islington Village. Yes, it's a very walkable, urban retail stretch of the kind that are very rare in Etobicoke, but aside from the old town hall (now a Fox and Fiddle), and maybe 2 or 3 old houses, none of the other buildings have any historical or architectural significance. Most of them look like bland, 2-storey buildings from the 50's, with the only thing preventing the area from looking like all the other terrible strip malls in Etobicoke being that there's no parking fronting the street (although there are actually some like that on the north side). Some people fawn over Islington Village and I've never really understood why because it's underwhelming if you actually go there. The stores aren't anything special either. It's got nothing on Main Street in Unionville, that's for sure. I'd love to see pre-WWII pictures of the area to see if there used to be a nicer stock of buildings.

Back