News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Roads: Bathurst Street Bridge

That is basically the intention of TCHC when they go ahead with their development of Block 32 and 36. There will be a park there recognizing the former path of the Creek

How "wetland" it ought to be, I don't know--somehow, I can see it as more of a "designed" than "naturalized" space...

From Adam Vaughn's office...

Bathurst Street Bridge Construction Schedule

The City of Toronto and TTC are jointly planning a major construction project on the
Bathurst Street Bridge, south of Front Street to Fleet Street. This project will involve a
total reconstruction of the bridge between Front and Fleet, widening the area to create a
TTC right-of-way. The truss bridge, which has heritage status, will be preserved as part
of this work.
As part of the design process, the bridge design was assessed by the City of Toronto’s
Design Review Panel in June 2008. They identified a number of issues around the
bridge design. There is currently a team composed of the TTC and city staff from Urban
Design and Structures and Expressways, who are reviewing the design and other issues
around the bridge.
As a result, the start date for this work has been pushed back, and is not planned to
begin before 2010. The construction was estimated by Transportation staff to take about
4 months, however this estimate is subject to change.
During the construction, the bridge will be closed to vehicular and streetcar traffic, but
pedestrian traffic would be maintained with a 2m sidewalk. Bikes could also access this
route but would be required to dismount.
Councillor Vaughan has requested that the timing of any construction in this area be
coordinated so that work is staggered to take place at different times. This is to try and
minimize the impact of the construction work on residents living in Bathurst Quay, along
Queens Quay, and elsewhere in the neighbourhood.
Further updates about this construction project will be provided when more information is
available.

Will this be after the building of the Portland Street bridge and extension south of Front into the old railway lands? I would assume that a detour via Front Street, Portland Street and Fort York (Bremner) Boulevard would then be possible.

Pretty, isn't she?

Attachments

• bridge1.jpg
    bridge1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 403
I hope this isn't too off-topic, but is has there been any news on the Portland St. bridge? Last I heard, it was held up by bickering between GO, the City, and the developer.

Has anyone seen the design of this new bridge? I remember there was some talk about it months ago but don't remember ever seeing any renderings.

Will this be after the building of the Portland Street bridge and extension south of Front into the old railway lands? I would assume that a detour via Front Street, Portland Street and Fort York (Bremner) Boulevard would then be possible.

I don't know when construction on the Portland St bridge is supposed to commence, but even if it was open, it will not do anything to aid vehicular traffic since it will only be a pedestrian/bicycle bridge. Spadina will be even more busy (didn't know if it was possible) when they close Bathurst. The Simcoe underpass may help a bit, but probably not too much.

I hope this isn't too off-topic, but is has there been any news on the Portland St. bridge? Last I heard, it was held up by bickering between GO, the City, and the developer.

All parties have now agreed (as of May) and money is ready. It's now a design and engineering issue now as they prepare the plans. I don't know what the timeline is.

Ehhh, this is going to get gruesome. Imagine the traffic backed up along Wellington St. towards Strachan. Spadina can't physically handle more cars in the evening rush hour.

Ehhh, this is going to get gruesome. Imagine the traffic backed up along Wellington St. towards Strachan. Spadina can't physically handle more cars in the evening rush hour.

You can say that again. The bridge on Strachan is undergoing some rehabilitation right now, and they'll soon need lights at Wellington/Douro otherwise drivers will be killing each other at that intersection.

Also Strachan has a level crossing. Lot's of GO trains at rush hour.

Strachan is a mess between Wellington and the Gardiner. They should really get working on replacing the current bridge and building a new one over the Georgetown and Milton lines.

Strachan is a mess between Wellington and the Gardiner. They should really get working on replacing the current bridge and building a new one over the Georgetown and Milton lines.
There is a study on about this right now. Not sure if it's an official EA yet but that's what's planned.

From the Toronto achieves, Bathurst Street bridge before it was realigned to its current position:

Bathurst Street bridge in 1917, Fort York to the right:
fo1231%5Cf1231_it1104.jpg

Bathurst Street and Front Street in 1916:
fo1231%5Cf1231_it1780.jpg

Bathurst Street bridge in 1915?:
fo1231%5Cf1231_it1968.jpg

Bathurst Street bridge looking northeast in 1916:
fo1231%5Cf1231_it1922.jpg

Bathurst Street northeast to bridge at Front Street in 1916:
fo1231%5Cf1231_it2190.jpg

Back