Toronto Birch House at Canary Landing | 50.3m | 13s | Dream | Stantec

Mr Ford has cost the City another $3 million+

Summary​

I am requesting that $1,066,666 in section 37 funding secured through the development at 176-178 Front Street East and 33 Sherbourne Street be directed to Anishnawbe Health Toronto. This will maintain the financial commitment that the City Council made to partially fund a new Toronto Aboriginal Hub in the West Don Lands, funding which had been threatened due to the introduction of the Community Benefit Charge under Bill 108, More Homes, More Choice Act, 2019.

In February 2021, City Council approved a settlement with the developer of 31R Parliament Street, 370 Cherry Street and 370R Cherry Street before the Ontario Land Tribunal. As part of that settlement agreement, $3.2 million dollars in section 37 was to be secured at the Ontario Land Tribunal as part of the settlement, of which one third ($1,066,666) was to be provided for “improvements to the Toronto Aboriginal Hub in the West Don Lands.” This hub was for Anishnawbe Health Toronto ’s future facility at 425 Cherry Street. Anishnawbe Health Toronto proceeded with their project under the assumption these funds would be distributed to them prior to the completion of the hub.

Last term, Bill 108, More Homes, More Choice Act, 2019 received royal assent provincially. Amongst many changes, section 37 was to be replaced by the new Community Benefit Charge that sought to remove the negotiation between municipalities and developers on what appropriate community benefits would be. Instead of negotiating on a site-by-site basis, Community Benefit Charges are instead a flat fee that was based off a small percentage of the land value of the site. The province did not implement the Community Benefit Charge right away, instead releasing regulations in 2021.

These regulations specified that Section 37 provisions regarding height and density bonusing remained in effect until a municipality passes a Community Benefit Charge By-law or until September 18, 2022. City Council adopted a Community Benefit Charge by-law in July 2022.

Earlier this year, Anishnawbe Health Toronto reached out to the City to request the Section 37 funds that were secured under the 2021 settlement agreement for 31R Parliament Street, 370 Cherry Street and 370R Cherry Street. It was then discovered that while City Council had agreed to the settlement in Februrary 2021, that settlement was not ratified by the Ontario Land Tribunal ahead of the Community Benefit Charge by-law coming into effect. The end result is that the $3.2 million in Section 37 that was agreed to by City Council can no longer be collected.

Anishnawbe Health Toronto‘s new Aboriginal Hub is nearing completion, and they have reached out asking if the roughly $1 million of funding that was to be secured for them was available. As the money can no longer be obtained through the 31R Parliament Street, 370 Cherry Street and 370R Cherry Street development, I am requesting that these funds instead be taken from the development at 176-178 Front Street East, which has available monies that can be used “towards local streetscape, parkland and/or community facilities within proximity of the subject site in the Ward.”

This motion is urgent as Anishnawbe Health Toronto requires the funding as soon as possible, as their new hub is nearing completion.

Some of the patterned grey panels have been removed

IMG_0888.jpeg

IMG_0883.jpeg

IMG_0882.jpeg

...it didn't look like it was because they installed the patterns wrong from what I can tell.

Oct 28
Lot more up on my site
53305832151_1978c46fea_b.jpg

53305832476_4d9078cacd_b.jpg

53306311725_451d551d48_b.jpg

53306077743_fd26b6647d_b.jpg

53306311815_98b9f63b4e_b.jpg

53306197184_66d71dd142_b.jpg

53305832826_01f6a1bf4d_b.jpg

Some of the patterned grey panels have been removed

View attachment 515415
View attachment 515416
View attachment 515417
That looks like a little more than what was originally there. I have to say though, coming from pics of Limberlost and back here, man- I wish they were bringing THAT wood cladding over here for this. Would have been epic.
...it didn't look like it was because they installed the patterns wrong from what I can tell.
Remember how you could see the insulation and metal through the holes that form the design? I believe the pieces that were up previously were just test panels. That would also explain why they put a few up and they just sat there for months. Now they're expanding the black backing and adding more pieces, so I assume they're good to go for the entire facade now

Back