News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 472     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

RBC Centre (LEED Gold, CadFair, 41s, KPF/B+H/&Co.) COMPLETE

According to an ad in the Globe this morning Fairmont Hotels is moving in as a tenant.

but I though Fairmont (hotel + office) was going to be occupying the lands west of 18 York Street

but I though Fairmont (hotel + office) was going to be occupying the lands west of 18 York Street

Really? Where did you hear about that? I know they own that land as a result of their CP heritage, but I hadn't heard of any plans for it.

sorry my mistake, the proposal was hotel + residential, not hotel + office

I remember seeing old applications before where Fairmont (previously Canadian Pacific Properties) being related to the parcel west of 18 York (aka Block 7B) ... anyhow, I dug through the City Planning staff reports from 2002 (http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2002/agendas/committees/to/to020129/it007a.pdf) and can confirm OPA + ZBA was approved through By-law 548-2002 and By-law 549-2002 to permit a mixed hotel-residential tower on Block 7B, in effect to create a similar product as Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, and Shangri-La

having said that, this was their intentions in 2002, I'm not sure whats the plans are now 6 years later ... well at least it appears they are utilizing the office perimission sought for 18 York Street (aka Block 7A)

Twenty minutes ago from the West End. Person who can ID the UFO + the building under construction to the right of Simcoe Place: you get a free Obama Biscuit straight from my oven!

DSC00748.jpg

I love that picture because its framing doesn't even look like Toronto. The sloped roofs of the Royal York, Metro Hall and 20 Bay St combine to disguise the boxey nature of the rest of the skyline. Simcoe Place and now RBC look like their in the centre of the district so from that vantage point the city looks complete, like a mid-sized American capital.

sorry my mistake, the proposal was hotel + residential, not hotel + office

I remember seeing old applications before where Fairmont (previously Canadian Pacific Properties) being related to the parcel west of 18 York (aka Block 7B) ... anyhow, I dug through the City Planning staff reports from 2002 (http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2002/agendas/committees/to/to020129/it007a.pdf) and can confirm OPA + ZBA was approved through By-law 548-2002 and By-law 549-2002 to permit a mixed hotel-residential tower on Block 7B, in effect to create a similar product as Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, and Shangri-La

having said that, this was their intentions in 2002, I'm not sure whats the plans are now 6 years later ... well at least it appears they are utilizing the office perimission sought for 18 York Street (aka Block 7A)

Cool, thanks for the info. So they planned to build a 35 storey, 98m (322 foot) building. Will be interesting to see whether Fairmont still plans to proceed with this, given the many similar developments, as you alluded to.

It's interesting that at the time of this proposal, there was nothing yet proposed for 18 York, yet it looks like it will see construction first. It's also pretty funny reading that the Simcoe extension which would be under construction "until 2003".

Back