News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 503     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Museum Station

Thank you for your comments on the recently unveiled Museum Station Renaissance Project forwarded to TTC Chair Adam Giambrone.

This is the first project undertaken by the TTC in partnership with the Toronto Community Foundation, a philanthropic organization which provided 75% of the project costs. The project goal is to upgrade the platform level finishes to reflect the renaissance in cultural facilities at grade, in this case the Royal Ontario and Gardiner Museums.

Current TTC preference is to remove metal linear ceilings whenever possible, as they are difficult to clean and are easily damaged during routine maintenance. The preference is to clean up and paint the exposed structure, conduits, ducts and pipework. Your observations on the ceiling were made at a point before project completion. Your photograph shows several cables, conduit and equipment hanging from the ceiling that have subsequently been removed along with the suspended light fixtures.

Thank you for your interest in the TTC.

Sincerely,

John Sepulis

General Manager –

Engineering & Construction

I always take some solace from the fact that columns, etc., as found in Pompeii were completely covered in really crude graffiti (which had covered some of the lurid paint colours that had been applied to them). Therefore, US's actions are really only in keeping with historical movements.

The red Chinese columns are looking a little the worse for wear.

The white Greek columns have taken on the patina of age quite splendidly and look about 2,500 years old.

The white Greek columns have taken on the patina of age quite splendidly and look about 2,500 years old.

They don't look that old... not until they get a dose of Athenian acid rain.

June 27

I cannot believe how long it taken TTC to put up the safety barriers at this station.

Only the southbound tracks have them at this time.

These barriers were to be in place before the offical opening last year.

IMG_june-27-09-0101.JPG

IMG_june-27-09-0102.JPG

IMG_june-27-09-0103.JPG

IMG_june-27-09-0104.JPG

IMG_june-27-09-0105.JPG

IMG_june-27-09-0106.JPG

IMG_june-27-09-0107.JPG

Is the ceiling going to stay like that, or are they going to be doing something a little more polished with it eventually?

Is the ceiling going to stay like that, or are they going to be doing something a little more polished with it eventually?

Didn't the project run out of money? It would be nice if the TTC could at least try to restore it to it's original state:
subway-5103-21.jpg

A question from a newbie:

At some point in the past, was there ever a connection between the Museum subway station and the Royal Ontario Museum?

I always used to think that there was one (before the ROM renovation in 1978). It used to be that when you entered the ROM through the old entrance (off Queens Park), there was a stairway descending to the basement on your left. It was always barred off, and I never saw it in use, but my recollection is that it led to a connection to the subway station. I had thought that it connected to the barred area on the Museum station platform.

Having just visited the ROM this past weekend, I find that this connection doesn't make a lot of sense from a geographic point of view, and I'm inclined to think that my recollections are wrong. Can anyone confirm this?

Never was such a connection. And IIRC the barred area on the Museum platform was barred for safety reasons, i.e. a unnecessary waste space...

Back