News   May 30, 2024
 458     0 
News   May 30, 2024
 866     0 
News   May 29, 2024
 1.8K     6 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I have yet to see it tracking west of Leslie

Based on what I have seen so far tracking 4604, it only running east of Leslie and the Barns on Queen St.

It hasn't visited other parts of the system where it can run, like St Clair or on the 506 route like in the past.

The tracker is saying last seen 7 hours ago.
Here we go ...... watching paint dry is probably more interesting than hearing about the birthing process of new streetcars. All that is important is that they are arriving (with poles) and will then not be used very much as the TTC has restricted service due to post-covid/budget problems and lots of track construction.

Here we go ...... watching paint dry is probably more interesting than hearing about the birthing process of new streetcars.
Says you! I find it absolutely fascinating. But I also have many roster sheets detailing rail vehicles from the past with various notes about commissioning, and mishaps that occurred to them in their service lives, that I find equally entertaining :D

and will then not be used very much as the TTC has restricted service due to post-covid/budget problems and lots of track construction.
I would presume (hope) that the new cars would be top priority to dispatch, instead of the older ones which are now 7, 8, 9, 10 years old.

Here we go ...... watching paint dry is probably more interesting than hearing about the birthing process of new streetcars. All that is important is that they are arriving (with poles) and will then not be used very much as the TTC has restricted service due to post-covid/budget problems and lots of track construction.
It made it way to Spadina last night and was at Fleet Loop a few hours ago.

With all the detours in place, will take a lot longer for burn in and testing before entering service.

Don't know why it still saying last seen 7 hours ago, but it was at Neville Loop and now heading west at Kingston Rd after leaving Fleet.

Says you! I find it absolutely fascinating. But I also have many roster sheets detailing rail vehicles from the past with various notes about commissioning, and mishaps that occurred to them in their service lives, that I find equally entertaining :D

I would presume (hope) that the new cars would be top priority to dispatch, instead of the older ones which are now 7, 8, 9, 10 years old.
Different strokes for different folks! :->
'

Here we go ...... watching paint dry is probably more interesting than hearing about the birthing process of new streetcars.
It's quite clearly marked that this thread covers the Testing & Delivery of Flexity Streetcars. If that subject doesn't interest you, don't open it, no one is forcing you.

The arrival and issues with the new streetcars is interesting enough to me. I don't think we need a frequent update on which piece of track that a recently received car is testing on; there's a far more wonkish forum for details like that - which are getting the same updates.

Screenshot_2023-10-08_164332.jpg

20231008_164336.jpg

20231008_164338.jpg

20231008_164341.jpg

Why are we still buying streetcars with poles!
Because TTC spec writers are lazy and incompetent. I bet they did a copy and paste of their original spec and called it a day. They failed to realise/care that they just wasted us taxpayers a few million for unneeded equipment.

Why are we still buying streetcars with poles!

Because TTC spec writers are lazy and incompetent. I bet they did a copy and paste of their original spec and called it a day. They failed to realise/care that they just wasted us taxpayers a few million for unneeded equipment.
Russel car house on queen street hasn't been fully converted yet to pantographs.

Yes, a further example of incompetence
Considering they installed new I Beam Post on the west side in 2020 for the OS

Nothing stopping TTC not having poles on the new cars since they could operate out of the Barns or Roncesvalles yards since they are converted already.

Its been 2 months since 4604 and still in Russell carhouse.

TTC could have a car to off load on Tues or later in the week

Russell and Roncesvalles both had to be rebuilt to support the maintenance of the new cars. The work was done at Roncesvalles in 2018-2019, the work is being done at Russell now.

If they had expedited the replacement of the overhead wire in Russell, it would've meant that one yard or the other would've had to be taken out of service and disrupted twice in order to do it. Seeing as the entirety of the initial 204 car order was equipped with poles, there was no urgent need to expedite the work at Russell.

Speaking of Flexity cars, there is word, I'm not certain how credible yet, going around that cars 4468 and 4534, built in 2018 and 2019 respectively, have been retired. 4468 is the car that suffered an "unscheduled thermal event" on December 30, 2022, and 4534 last ran on January 19, 2023.

Back