Toronto 21 Broadview | 40.27m | 12s | Streetcar | CEBRA architecture

i feel like that rendering makes it look way bulkier than it actually is.
given the proximity to the future ontario line station at east harbour, is this potentially not dense enough?
It all depends on how seriously City Council and City Planners want to hold on to legacy planning-policy like -
  • "Ensuring appropriate transitions to Neighbourhoods"
  • "Mitigating impacts of privacy and overlook"
My assumption is that in a Council election year, they won't want to rock that boat.

SPA Docs are up:

Docs are u/l as at July 5/22 ; date on Docs is 6/28/22

Looks like the design is holding together really nicely:

1658387294219.png

1658387413159.png

We've held on to CEBRA, to 12s and 340 units

Of note from the Cover Letter:

1658387590740.png

On Landscape:

The Plant schedule claims to be 100% native..........it's not quite; but good ambition, they've included a few near-natives, and a couple of cultivars; still, it's a very good list.

1658387906224.png

Soil/Planting Conditions:

Out of 11 trees

100% will have acceptable soil volumes, with none actually failing to exceed minimum guidelines by at least 10%

100% are irrigated.

7/11 will feature Silva Cells. The area w/o does feature a large soil volume in softscape, so it should be an entirely reasonable choice to do w/o.

Pretty Solid.

1658388186620.png

Extra renderings were uploaded to the database; however, no new changes to the renderings. Only minor information is changed. The total parking space was reduced from 102 parking to 97 parking. The total building height changed from 39.97m to 40.27m.

WOW, there's a real NIMBY example! Reminds me of the folks at 60 Colbourne who objected to 65 King (the Google Building) a few years ago. Just as those at 30 Church (built in the early 1980s) objected to 60 Colbourne!

(75 and 45 The Esplanade are a similar pair; 75 was only built a couple of years ago but still find the proposed height of 45 too much! (The actual form of 45 is maybe a reasonable thing to complain about, though I hear it is under revision.)

That's sad and funny.

Sad, because it's one of the nicest proposals we've seen over the last couple of years and a pretty reasonable scale for the area; so getting up in arms over this, seems like 'really?'; Makes me think someone should send them a note on one of the mid-rise proposals held up by Nimbys which then came back as a hirise in a re-submission.

However, I find the trolling of the Nimbys by Jack quite hilarious.

This is next level NIMBYism.

A mid rise building similar in size to your own and across the street is going to destroy the neighbourhood.

They should be thankful it’s not a proposed 40 stories due to proximity to the OL station.

Going to re-post our assessment from last year's Public-Meeting earlier in this thread...

"Majority of Complaints and Concerns came from Owners of the low-rise Single-Family Homes on LEWIS STREET, who were concerned about Shadow, Overlook, Traffic & Parking.

There were also some Complaints and Concerns from the Condo loft owners at 68 BROADVIEW and 90 BROADVIEW about Shadow, Construction noise, Traffic & Parking.

STREETCAR has a lot of experience dealing with the local Councillor and Planners... so they will make some version of this proposal work.... eventually..."

Along with residents of an adjacent loft building at 68 Broadview, a working group initiated and organized by the area councillor, Paula Fletcher, is fighting against the proposed condo plan and claiming that such developments — like the very ones they reside in — are damaging to the city.

I find it disappointing that Fletcher is joining/leading this NIMBY-ism.

I find it disappointing that Fletcher is joining/leading this NIMBY-ism.

To be fair; that's not what the piece says.

It says Fletcher initiated the 'working group' that was to liaise between the developer and the neighbourhood.

Such groups are common, Councillors are almost always the organizing force; let me introduce A to B and see if they can work stuff out.

I don't see any actual quotes from Fletcher in the piece unless I missed them.

That said, Paula is a twit. LOL

Appealed to the OLT in March, this one will head to the next meeting of TEYCC in the form of an Appeals Report recommending staff attend in opposition:

From the above:

1694098539171.png

1694098570205.png

1694098678579.png

Comments: On Built Form Planning is just plain wrong here. I think this one of those proposals on which most of us here agree and for which we have collective enthusiasm, even if the adjacent SFH were to hold on a bit longer, I don't think these issues play. But I also think its important to note that much of that SFH is surely on its way out, and to plan accordingly. The density of East Harbour, and the MTSA here, will dicate intensification along the Eastern Avenue frontage, and that will push north. Protecting demolition fodder is not a reasonable action here.

On Streetscape./ROW, Planning has a fair point, whether that ROW ceding is sacrosanct is a matter of debate, but normally if the City has laid out such an obligation, prior to development, an application must cede the required space.

I hope this one makes it out the other end of process looking a lot like it does now and is of comparable quality at the end.

Last edited:

Back