News   Apr 19, 2024
 2     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 440     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 776     3 

Royal Conservatory Of Music - Telus Centre for Performance & Learning (KPMB)

5SEPT2008 photo update

Big steeple, eh?

DSC01378.jpg

Thanks for that photo of the steeple, Urban dreamer. I took an impromptu tour of the RCM yesterday; that means I just walked in and acted as if I was looking for some one. It's quite a stunning building, even in its incomplete state. There were a lot of students around registering, though I can't imagine attending classes will be a pleasant experience for the next few months as the noise of construction (and the strong chemical smells) continue. The official open house is this Sunday, the 14th. I wish I could go but can't. If any member of this board does attend, I'd be grateful for any pictures of the interior.:)

http://www.rcmusic.ca/ContentPage.aspx?name=Sample_Class_Day

aw man. i should've went to this. having a project due in a week on it would've gave me a good oppourtunity for pics of the glass.

are they now open regularly?

I'm not sure if there will be any more open houses, but the building is still a work in progress and won't be completed until Fall 2009. I'd imagine there will be a "grand opening' open house then. This was more a soft open house to view progress.

Thanks, Darkstar! I wish I could have gone, but your pictures were the next best thing. I'll look forward to the completion of this (one of my pet projects) and the opening of the theatre there next year.:)

The Atrium that you enter from Philosopher's Walk ( pictures 4 and 5 ) narrows at the west end because Koerner Hall ( to your left as you enter ) is set at an angle.

The Rehearsal Room ( pictures 21 and 22 ) has a similar ceiling height to Koerner Hall - which we weren't able to get into. The 'porthole' doors throughout the school are new.

And much of the new building is clad in grey to match those slate roofs. Up close I noticed that the "black" brickwork courses on the exterior of McMaster ( now Ihnatowycz ) Hall are actually black-painted brick.

Back