News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 619     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Miller Tax on Plate Renewal?

Up to a point. I drive a short wheelbase car (not a smart) that's quite low to the ground. The car's barely had time to recover from the first bump before the rears are heading over - so it makes for a very crashy ride.

Having said all that, speed bumps are increasingly moot: the streets are in such shitty condition that the pot-holes and steel plates keep people honest.[/QUOTE]

QFT! :D

Then again, don't judge speed bumps by the earliest, or crudest, examples. There's a heck of a difference btw/the axle-busters that were installed on Balmoral in the 70s and the rather smooth traffic-calmers in the Bridle Path.

Indeed, in the latter instance, I think a lot of drivers *are* guilty of crossing them a little too gingerly...

I wonder what controls they have on preventing people from registering their vehicles elsewhere....

Then again, don't judge speed bumps by the earliest, or crudest, examples. There's a heck of a difference btw/the axle-busters that were installed on Balmoral in the 70s and the rather smooth traffic-calmers in the Bridle Path
I find that in short wheel base vehicles, like a mini, but especially like my motorcycle, you can go over the speed humps at about 40-50 kph without loosing any sense of control, especially if you stand up on the pegs.

I find that in short wheel base vehicles, like a mini, but especially like my motorcycle, you can go over the speed humps at about 40-50 kph without loosing any sense of control, especially if you stand up on the pegs.

I heard on the radio that some cops were charging people with stunt driving and seizing their bikes for standing on the pegs to go over railway tracks / peer over traffic.

Now, the quality of callers to CFRB isn't golden, but that's the word on the street.

Their suspensions are stiffer and they do 'jounce' more over the bumps. If you have kids in the 3rd row of a minivan or SUV, the experience is unsettling, unless you crawl over them.
As I said, the shorter the wheel base, the more fun the bumps are.
Hang on - SUVs are supposed to be designed as off-road vehicles. Presumably they'd be built to handle bumps better than a regular car - not worse. I can't think of many reasons of wanting an SUV in the city - but surely speedbumps are the one thing they should be good for.

I wonder what controls they have on preventing people from registering their vehicles elsewhere....

No way of controlling that. I kept my 'address' at my Collingwood home for years after I moved here. I still owned the place and was renting it out. When I finally moved my address here, my insurance doubled. There are lots of people who own businesses, cottages outside the 416 area who will 'move' to avoid the extra $60.
As usual, the people this tax will hurt most are the people who can least afford it.

Hang on - SUVs are supposed to be designed as off-road vehicles. Presumably they'd be built to handle bumps better than a regular car - not worse. I can't think of many reasons of wanting an SUV in the city - but surely speedbumps are the one thing they should be good for.

SUVs will 'handle' the speed bumps better, but they will bounce over them more. A soft, mushy car like a Buick Regal would be least affected. Any driver with his/her salt will figure out what 'frequency' their vehicle travels over the speed bumps best.
With my car, the faster the better.

I heard on the radio that some cops were charging people with stunt driving and seizing their bikes for standing on the pegs to go over railway tracks / peer over traffic.
That was in the Wheels section of the Star some time back, but it was thrown out of court as there is no clear statute stating that a rider's rearside must also be in contact with the seat.

That was in the Wheels section of the Star some time back, but it was thrown out of court as there is no clear statute stating that a rider's rearside must also be in contact with the seat.

Good to hear it was thrown out, but the problem is that your bike had still been impounded for a week.

Got my plate renewal letter in the mail the other day. My renewal is up in November, and no Miller car tax has been applied yet. I guess it must start in 2009.

Back