News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 556     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Toronto's own Monopoly spot

yep, totally agree... there were those suspicious entries that climbed up.. including montreal... it was puzzling to see it fly above staples like nyc, rome, london.. and have other forumers claim that there was no self-promotion going on in montreal, and that is was all the world just voting for it... montreal is great.. but its rep globally isn't what is reflected by this competition.. and thats what was puzzling. the canada press release stating montreal was rallying its citizens (even putting up their own portal) explains a lot. good for them though. they put in some effort and pulled it off. (or we'll see when its released).

I find myself completely indifferent to this publicity stunt. Ironically, if Toronto went to the lengths that Montreal apparently did to secure it's spot on the Monopoly board, the chattering from Montreal would be all too predictable: "They're grasping" / "They're small minded" / "They want to be world class" / "They wish they were New York, and will never be" blah blah blah blah.

So, frankly, in my own small way, because in this case I see these comments as having some truth to them, I'll raise a glass to Montreal's victory in this regard.

Yes, Prost!

333px-PS_Kr%C3%B8yer_-_Hip_hip_hurra%21_Kunstnerfest_p%C3%A5_Skagen_1888.jpg

Toronto gets spot on world Monopoly game

Toronto gets spot on world Monopoly game

Aug 19, 2008 11:59 PM

Dan Robson
Staff Reporter

Well, we're not quite Baltic Ave. - but we're a long way from passing Go.

And it looks like Torontonians will have to stroll along Montreal's boardwalk if they want to get there.

Hasbro Inc. has announced the top 22 global cities that will make up the first world edition of Monopoly. More than 5.6 million votes were cast for 70 contenders over a six-week period earlier this year, to determine which cities would be featured in the game.

And as a nation we can puff our community chests - with three cities on board, Canada tied China for the most representation in the new edition.

Montreal landed in the top spot, basking in the sun on Boardwalk.

Vancouver also rolled higher than Toronto, skipping to 12th place, and taking over New York Ave.

Meanwhile Toronto, at 15th, managed to squeak through the jail bars and past the electric company, to a comfortable new home next to the railroad on Virginia Ave.

And we've that heard our new purple neighbours - Kyiv and Istanbul - are delightful.

Monopoly: Here and Now will feature new Chance and Community Chest cards that will celebrate the unique cultures represented on the board. The tokens, houses, and hotels will reflect icons and styles from all seven continents.

The new edition will be in stores around the globe next Tuesday.

Mayor David Miller and the Mr. Monopoly himself will celebrate our position at Ontario Place from noon to 2 p.m. this afternoon.

No word on whether or not the thimble or iron will attend.

Louroz

Dark Blue: Montreal, Riga
Green: Cape Town, Belgrade, Paris
Yellow: Jerusalem, Hong Kong, Beijing
Red: London, New York, Sydney
Orange: Vancouver, Shanghai, Rome
Magenta: Toronto, Kyiv, Istanbul
Light Blue: Athens, Barcelona, Tokyo
Brown: Taipei, Gdynia

Dark Blue: Montreal, Riga
Green: Cape Town, Belgrade, Paris
Yellow: Jerusalem, Hong Kong, Beijing
Red: London, New York, Sydney
Orange: Vancouver, Shanghai, Rome
Magenta: Toronto, Kyiv, Istanbul
Light Blue: Athens, Barcelona, Tokyo
Brown: Taipei, Gdynia

The places on this board are mid-boggling. Riga as Park Place? Are you kidding me?
In Green, Cape Town and Belgrade?
Kyiv? Istanbul? Taipei? Gdynia? WTF?

I think Monopoly should have just chosen the order themselves, it would have made more sense.

Boardwalk and Park Place should have been London and New York. No question.

The greens should have included Paris and Tokyo.

Miller is taking 2 hours to celebrate at Ontario Place? That seems like a huge waste of time.

The places on this board are mid-boggling. Riga as Park Place? Are you kidding me?
In Green, Cape Town and Belgrade?
Kyiv? Istanbul? Taipei? Gdynia? WTF?

I think Monopoly should have just chosen the order themselves, it would have made more sense.

Boardwalk and Park Place should have been London and New York. No question.

The greens should have included Paris and Tokyo.

It's all so subjective. If they picked the cities themselves, they would have been accused of everything from bias to ethnocentricity.

This way they got lots of publicity throughout the process. It's just a game. It's actually a nice, diverse selection of cities, although Asia, Africa and South America are under-represented.

I heard he came back from vacation to attend this :rolleyes:

I think I would only despise being a gynecologist more than being a politician. Having to give a damn about complete bullshit like this is not one of my strengths, and it's not something I would suffer through gladly.

Back