Toronto Luna at Concord CityPlace | 125.88m | 38s | Concord Adex | Core Architects

Noticed the cladding yesterday from Bathurst. This one should look really nice with the large pieces of glass. Is that real brick on the podium? Looks like those prefabed brick panels they used on Montage. Hopefully these don't look as fake and from the photos they don't look too bad.

The "bricks" are staggered this time, which is a step in the right direction.

The windows look almost identical to Neo/Montage/West One/N2 :/

I just had a look at the side west of Spadina ... I have to say there's a lot more potential here.
The retail at the bottom of LUNA (not sure what' it's called ... north west side of spadina) looks like it may be really nice. The buildings themselves on the west side meet the street better ... there's a really nice tree lined medium with bike lanes!

Wish I had my camera but it was nice.

My real worry with Luna is the cladding. If Concorde tries to coat one more tower in their 'signature' grey/black cladding, I hope the city steps in and cries foul. In that vein, perhaps this could turn out like the two-tone Wall Center in Vancouver. Says Hume: "the city issued a stop work order and insisted the material be changed. Some city councillors wanted to force the builder, Peter Wall, to remove the cladding and start from scratch. That didn't happen and the result is a two-toned tower that switches from dark to light about half way up." Heck, why not intentionally go for a polychromatic tower. It would sure break up the monotony of another black facade.

My real worry with Luna is the cladding. If Concorde tries to coat one more tower in their 'signature' grey/black cladding, I hope the city steps in and cries foul. In that vein, perhaps this could turn out like the two-tone Wall Center in Vancouver. Says Hume: "the city issued a stop work order and insisted the material be changed. Some city councillors wanted to force the builder, Peter Wall, to remove the cladding and start from scratch. That didn't happen and the result is a two-toned tower that switches from dark to light about half way up." Heck, why not intentionally go for a polychromatic tower. It would sure break up the monotony of another black facade.

As much as I agree about changing things up… I have to say the grey/black cladding is still infinitely better than the green glass + concrete they started with.

e.g….
GetImage.aspx

The City of Toronto has no jurisdiction over the colour of glass.

Mike, its hard to tell from your photo above, but what colour did these first few plates of glass look like? From the renderings of Luna Vista and Parade I was expecting blue...

Hi Redroom,

To be honest it was hard to tell due to the high reflectivity and poor light conditions between rain storms - all I could tell was that is was dark and very reflective - I'm thinking it's going to look similar to Montage - it certainly did not look blue (the original renderings for Apex and Optima also both suggested blue, but we ended up with aqua and green).

I recall this one looking a bit purple in the renderings, but I'm sure that was an artistic decision to make the project stand out from the adjacent buildings, whereas in reality it will completely blend in because the cladding is nearly identical.

very Vancouver like...

Looks like a straight copy imo...

it is Concord Pacific + Concord Adex afterall ... :p

Thanks - didn't realize it was brick in the precast til the close-up shots. Good mix of brick colours in the projects.

BTW - CityPlace is much bigger in scale than the projects on the old Expo landss in Vancouver (both in height and width).

Back