Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

Three towers would be a bit tight on that site, but it's been done elsewhere on similar sized plots of land, like Menkes' three Broadway condos. Bazis could have aligned the towers as one 45+ storey east/west slab on the north side fronting Bogert and the Nestle building, and two 30+ storey east/west slabs on the south fronting Poyntz. Many of the units' views would be compromised, though.

I noticed the re-zoning application sign on the corners around the property for Emerald on the east side of Beecroft, and north side of pointz, which lines up with their site plan in the brochure, but they also have a re-zoning sign on the WEST side of beecroft covering the property occupied by a United Church and a nice park right now... it seems they want this re-zoned for some kind of "social use facility", but I don't see any mention of this in any of the site plans or discussions...

I was talking with the sales rep lady (May - she's very straight forward and insightful I thought). According to her, Bazis have applied to add 9 storeys to each building but are expecting to make a deal to add 5 in the end. From the city, they are asking Bazis to donate some of his site land to make changes to the road or something... and all this is still in the works... I don't know the exact detail behind the deal but there seems to be some dealing going on with the developer and the city... stay tuned..

Also, just having to bought a unit, in the clause they do have a line that states or a clause added/changed to state:

"4.16 (c) Without limiting the generality of anything herein, purchasers acknowledge that the Declarant may, in its sole and unfettered discretion, add further storeys to the Condominium above the number of storesy currently proposed described at Section 4.2(a)(i), being thirty-nine storeys. It is currently contemplated that if such addition storeys are added, such storeys shall be added above the thirty third storey.... etc etc"

Anyhoot, they are covering them selves to expect changes in my mind...

No BBQ in Terrace

So I was reading my agreement paper after my purchase and found out that there is no Cooking/BBQ on the Terrace/Balcony. Lived in a condo before, I knew about the Balcony, but I thought having a Terrace would allow me to cook outside. What good is having a 350 sq. ft. of terrace when all you can do is just sit out there and get spit at by above? Could this be reversed by the Condo board if requested? I was soooo looking forward to having a BBQ party!

So I was reading my agreement paper after my purchase and found out that there is no Cooking/BBQ on the Terrace/Balcony. Lived in a condo before, I knew about the Balcony, but I thought having a Terrace would allow me to cook outside. What good is having a 350 sq. ft. of terrace when all you can do is just sit out there and get spit at by above? Could this be reversed by the Condo board if requested? I was soooo looking forward to having a BBQ party!

If you invite me to yoru bbq then i'll vote for the bbq on the terrace. :D

If you get your lawyer to talk to their lawyer you might be able to get that voided. It's worth a try I guess.

Also, it's probably not going to be just spit but also beer bottles from what I heard from a few of my friends that live in condo's.

You can also get an electric BBQ. A friend of mine had one on a condo balcony, and apparently, unless explicitly forbidden by the condo board, the city is OK with it. It's not quite the same as gas, but it's still pretty decent to cook with.

I followed-up with City staff and was advised a formal rezoning and Official Plan amendment application was submitted on July 7, 2008 (only 2 days ago), I'm suprised that Michael's info is that updated (do you work for the developer? :D) ... amendment applications are required for height, land use, and density ... previous approvals for 22 and 25 storey building only applied to the western portion of the block (excluding lands abutting Yonge where 0% residential was permitted), whereas Bazis current proposal encompasses the entire block between Yonge and Beecroft.

IMO given the complexity of the application and seeing that it is JUST starting the 'formal' City approval process (doesn't matter what due diligence contacts/discussions Bazis previously had with the City), I'll be suprised to see this project built before 2013 at the earliest. I wonder what the builder is telling people for completion dates?

Based on submitted drawings, proposed buildings specifications are: 49 and 40 storey towers sharing a 3 storey podium, with heights of 167.3 and 137.8 metres respectively.

I agree too if and when this building is approved by the City and actually built as shown, it would be a good looking structure in the North York skyline.

I was talking with the sales rep lady (May - she's very straight forward and insightful I thought). According to her, Bazis have applied to add 9 storeys to each building but are expecting to make a deal to add 5 in the end. From the city, they are asking Bazis to donate some of his site land to make changes to the road or something... and all this is still in the works... I don't know the exact detail behind the deal but there seems to be some dealing going on with the developer and the city... stay tuned..

Finally got myself into see the sales office (nothing too special at all, just a scaled model of the building and floorplans on the wall), I also caught up with May Sheardown as well (she was my agent on a previous unit purchase) and indeed she is very insightful & helpful ...

however talking to her this time I did find her a bit on the deceiving side, quoting her "the rumours on Bazis were intitiated by other developers like Tridel & Daniels because they are jealous of how well this builder has done, we are more than 400 units sold" ... when asked about the rezoning application and implications on construction timing May said "well... no builders EVER build with approvals already in hand", however I know for a fact that is not the case, typically Site Plan Approval (SPA) would be outstanding, but major applications such as Official Plan Amendment (OPA) and Zoning By-law Amendment (ZB) would be either approved or close to completion before sales start, as OPA / ZBA are long processes, whereas SPA are a much quicker approval process

The builder's estimated end of 2011 completion date is completely unrealistic, I would only believe this date IF this site is already zoned and designated (OPA / ZBA approved), and the agent was also lying about Bazis applying for 9 storeys addition ... referring to my previous post quoted above from July 9th, Bazis in fact applied to get approval for 49 + 40 storey residential towers whereas residential is prohibted on the eastern portion of this site and building height limitation across the site is much lower, Bazis does not even have approvals for the current 41 + 32 storey buildings they are selling at this time, May is telling people there will likely be 5 additional storeys, that is only a GUESS of what Bazis will achieve, no one will know until the day this is ACTUALLY approved ... I truly believe if approved this will likely be built around mid-2013 ... if you are considering a unit here you may really reconsider ... never just listen to a sales agent, always check things out yourself ... call City Planning(Mark Chlon @ 416.395.7137)

the part about Bazis 'donating lands' to the City for Beecroft Road, that is not a negotation / good gesture item, that is something that Bazis (or anyone else) must do in order to get any development approved, to provide necessary land for planned improvements to the road network (to build a ring road much needed in NYC)

^... With the market slowing, a later possession is ideal for those that have purchased for investment. The city is a push over, I'd be surprised if Bazis didn't get its way.

Also, it's probably not going to be just spit but also beer bottles from what I heard from a few of my friends that live in condo's.

Don't forget burning cigarette butts... always a fav.
It would be upto the board to change the rules... but that is probably in place to avoid higher units from getting smoked.... so I don't know if you could convince them to change it if its already disallowed

finally Got Myself Into See The Sales Office (nothing Too Special At All, Just A Scaled Model Of The Building And Floorplans On The Wall), I Also Caught Up With May Sheardown As Well (she Was My Agent On A Previous Unit Purchase) And Indeed She Is Very Insightful & Helpful ...

However Talking To Her This Time I Did Find Her A Bit On The Deceiving Side, Quoting Her "the Rumours On Bazis Were Intitiated By Other Developers Like Tridel & Daniels Because They Are Jealous Of How Well This Builder Has Done, We Are More Than 400 Units Sold" ... When Asked About The Rezoning Application And Implications On Construction Timing May Said "well... No Builders ever build With Approvals Already In Hand", However I Know For A Fact That Is Not The Case, Typically Site Plan Approval (spa) Would Be Outstanding, But Major Applications Such As Official Plan Amendment (opa) And Zoning By-law Amendment (zb) Would Be Either Approved Or Close To Completion Before Sales Start, As Opa / Zba Are Long Processes, Whereas Spa Are A Much Quicker Approval Process

The Builder's Estimated End Of 2011 Completion Date Is completely Unrealistic, I Would Only Believe This Date if this Site Is Already Zoned And Designated (opa / Zba Approved), And The Agent Was Also Lying About Bazis Applying For 9 Storeys Addition ... Referring To My Previous Post Quoted Above From July 9th, Bazis In Fact Applied To Get Approval For 49 + 40 Storey Residential Towers Whereas Residential Is Prohibted On The Eastern Portion Of This Site And Building Height Limitation Across The Site Is Much Lower, Bazis Does Not Even Have Approvals For The Current 41 + 32 Storey Buildings They Are Selling At This Time, May Is Telling People There Will Likely Be 5 Additional Storeys, That Is Only A guess Of What Bazis Will Achieve, No One Will Know Until The Day This Is Actually Approved ... I Truly Believe If Approved This Will Likely Be Built Around Mid-2013 ... If You Are Considering A Unit Here You May Really Reconsider ... Never Just Listen To A Sales Agent, Always Check Things Out Yourself ... Call City Planning(mark Chlon @ 416.395.7137)

The Part About Bazis 'donating Lands' To The City For Beecroft Road, That Is Not A Negotation / Good Gesture Item, That Is Something That Bazis (or Anyone Else) Must Do In Order To Get Any Development Approved, To Provide Necessary Land For Planned Improvements To The Road Network (to Build A Ring Road Much Needed In Nyc)

This Is All Gibberish

^^^ What's with the capitalized first letters in all your posts? Makes it difficult to read. What exactly is gibberish about Solaris' post? There seems to be general agreement about the ludicrousness of a 2011 completion date, and Bazis does seem to plan way ahead of any approvals.

Looks like Marcus beat me to the punch... one click for your minicity :)

^^^ What's with the capitalized first letters in all your posts? Makes it difficult to read. What exactly is gibberish about Solaris' post? There seems to be general agreement about the ludicrousness of a 2011 completion date, and Bazis does seem to plan way ahead of any approvals.
Agreed
Looks like Marcus beat me to the punch... one click for your minicity :)
Thanks;)

As long as it is built, I'll be happy... I tried calling Mark, but he is out of the office till August 18th... i guess the guessing game continues... however, Bazis must have something or knows that this will be eventually built is my guess.. or else it would be one of the biggest scam in TO... one of my friend who works for PCL (constructing 1 Bloor) assured me that Bazis was legit, so hence my gamble....

I am really curious as to see what the market will be like in 2 years. My speculation was also in the decline with the exception of some prime areas such along subways and Go stations... but they are only speculations... btw, what is New York realestate like I wonder during this time of recession...

Back