Toronto Telus House - 25 York Street | 136.24m | 30s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Still, if Termini in Rome is any indicator of how a train station can be more than just a transit hub, the new designs for Union basically affirm that we still don't get it here.

Why can't there be two sides? One modern side to reflect the nature of the developments south of the tracks (as illustrated here) and one side to reflect the historical and grand nature of the station and buildings on Front street? The Front Street entrance to the Great Hall can be renovated and incorporated into the Union Station revitalization. Toronto is a contrasting city, with Beaux Art structures and modern counterparts so it seems fitting that the station at the centre of the most significant developments should have two facades.

^I agree. I don't find anything unattractive with that rendering. Looks clean and sharp. To the north is the existing heritage structure. There is no need to replicate that amid the Telus tower and the ACC.

July 30

Looking east. Telus is on the left and Success is on the right.
2721650206_f0ef732bdc_b.jpg

Beside ACC looking north towards the future new Union Station south entrance.
2721650238_51695f79ff_b.jpg

From the corner of University and York looking south at Telus. Union Station is on the left and the Success crane is visible behind it.
2721650250_0b63bb160c_b.jpg

I can't until this area is built out, it's going to be such a huge improvement. Slowly but surely the city is reclaiming the wasteland between the railway and harbourfront.

Thanks Current. I've never even thought about the impact Telus (and MLS for that matter) will have looking south, as seen in the last photo. They will be quite the view terminus on University as it bends east between Wellington and Front

Wow, that Union Entrance is laughable. That's our grand train station. I'd like to think we get a bit better than glass and steel.

Why should we go all out on the back door? The grand entrance faces Front Street... the rear entrance shouldn't overshadow the main entrance. This design will fit with its surroundings (Union Tower and the ACC while improving access to Union station and the retail at the base of Telus) and wont stick out like a sore thumb.

And no more walking through that nasty Bay St underpass for people coming in by train to see a Leafs game...

Theres already a tunnel from Union Station to the ACC that makes you avoid the Bay St. underpass. If I remember correctly, this new entrance will just be an extension of that existing tunnel.

Theres already a tunnel from Union Station to the ACC that makes you avoid the Bay St. underpass. If I remember correctly, this new entrance will just be an extension of that existing tunnel.
Yeah, there are a bunch of new exits in there for the recent platform extensions at track level above.

Tuscani,

My reference to Termini Station in Rome (one of the best in the world), was not to infer that we need a such a visual statement here, but merely that Termini is an excellent example of a station which functions like an extention of any street. It is open at both ends and is operaional late into the night, allowing travellers and non-travellers to use and enjoy all that it has to offer.

What I would like to see in Toronto, is an emphasis placed on north-south continuity so that the station can really weave itself into the fabric of the city. What I fear, however, is that the doors will be locked at 11PM and the extention never has a chance to make the contribution it potentially could.

And while we are on the topic of aesthetics, how about actually looking at the Termini itself. Had someone done that, they would have found that it is not an overblown baroque affair (like that in Milan), but a sleek, travertine masterpiece. A minimal modernist box it may be, but it is truly one of Italy's great contemporary spaces.

350px-Stazione_termini_con_le_terme_di_diocleziano.jpg

From the corner of University and York looking south at Telus. Union Station is on the left and the Success crane is visible behind it.
2721650250_0b63bb160c_b.jpg

That's a really great angle. It will be great to compare this photo to one taken from the same vantage point several years from now. Telus, Maple Leaf Square, Ice, 16 York and (possibly) 18 York. Union and the rail corridor will no longer be the southern edge of downtown, but will still present quite a psychological barrier.

"My reference to Termini Station in Rome (one of the best in the world)"

One of the best in the world... to get your wallet stolen!

Agreed. Huge imporvement. The design of the new station entrance is wonderful - keep it simple stupid! (especially if there isn't money for anything grand at the moment...)

Mmhmm. I'm very happy with the new Union Station south entrance. My only complaint is that I think it looked a teeny bit better with the letters "U N I O N S T A T I O N" sitting on the lip of the roof, instead of hanging down onto the glass. But it looks very clean and sexy otherwise. :)

Back