Toronto Cinema Tower | 142.64m | 43s | Daniels | Kirkor Architects

I am not at all convinced- I appreciate the fact that ProjectEnd went through the trouble to get these images, but this project looks more like a regular building which has been whored up, with fishnet stockings, fake eyelashes and a short revealing mini-skirt...all things you appreciate when you are horny and drunk, or just horny. But come daylight you are disgusted with yourself for even looking at it...

p5
you gotta be kidding me...

/\ I'm with you guys. Everyone loved it at the meeting - all while decrying how TIFF was 'just terrible.' I, however, feel that this is one of those buildings which looks really good now, but we'll regret less than 15 years after it's done. Festival, on the other hand, has a certain timeless quality, which I prefer.

To each his/her own I guess.

I love it! Thanks for getting those images. Very awesome!
This area is going to be so completely different in 5 years.

I too think this is kind of a mess. From one or two angles, this looks mighty interesting. On other angles, it looks like the architect was drunk. And I am not sure as to how the base relates to the whole.

If it turns out decent, then all the power to this unconventional design. If it turns out to be an incoherent pile, it will largely be hidden in a corner anyhow.

Incredible....

We start getting truly spectcular looking tower designs, way outside the usual "box" stuff we end up getting and people are still gripping about that the proposals aren't good enough or suited for the area. I can imagine some of these builders wondering why they even bother.

I too think this is kind of a mess. From one or two angles, this looks mighty interesting. On other angles, it looks like the architect was drunk. And I am not sure as to how the base relates to the whole.

If it turns out decent, then all the power to this unconventional design. If it turns out to be an incoherent pile, it will largely be hidden in a corner anyhow.

I agree. I give Kirkor credit for trying something different, especially considering their portfolio across the GTA, but it's just all over the place. It's kinda like the car Homer Simpson designed. Maybe I'll take another look after I get home from the bar this weekend and change my mind.

Is it possible Kirkor could fluke out a winner? Uh...maybe, but about as likely as a day-care art class turning out a Vermeer.

Their portfolio suggests no talent. This kind of shit is just what is considered market-driven plop of the day. If Kirkor is doing it, you just know it's time to stop doing it. Personally, I blame Baziz, as they seem to be the local purveyor of what is hot architecture influencing wrong-headed, pure market-driven offices like Kirkor.

That is really nice. I like it.

Does anyone have an idea of what is going up in this area? I'm getting confused with all the new developments. These are the larger ones that I know about.

355 King Street West...581ft......48 floors
Festival Tower............514ft......42 floors
300 Front Street.........512ft......52 floors
295 Adelaide West......482ft.......42 floors
21 Widmer Street.......434ft......44 floors

Are these all the new biggies?

181/199 Richmond W...429ft.......39 floors http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=6945
60 John Street...........413ft.......38 floors http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=7890
306/310 Richmond W...399ft.......35 floors http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=6053
430 King W - Charlie....308ft.......32 floors http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=1118
99 Blue Jays Way........306ft.......27 floors http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=6651
117 Peter Street.........???ft.......28 floors http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=7889

You could also throw in M5V (407ft/34 floors), Shangri La (702ft/65 floors) and Boutique (???ft/36 floors), for good measure, as well as smaller (20-ish storey) buildings like 210 Simcoe, 134 Peter and 215 Queen W.

^ thanks for updating that mini list. With an average 10 units per floor, ~325 floors amongst all these applications, that is 3250 units within a few city blocks. Based on the current market conditions and slowdown, how many of these projects can we actually expect to be built and as proposed?

Based on the current market conditions and slowdown, how many of these projects can we actually expect to be built and as proposed?

Well, even if the Toronto condo market experiences a 20% reduction in sales this year, it still means a huge amount of sales. We can only hope that with even greater competition for the market, prices will remain stable and the cream rises to the top. I see a back-off from record levels as actually having many positive attributes for the over-all condo market.

August 11

The corner of Adelaide and Widmer. The site is to the south and east (Festival sales centre site) of the Corned Beef building.
2758080568_a68c0400ae_b.jpg

The owner of the Corned Beef building also has a property to the south of the site, a hot dog vender Food Supply business. The main site is sandwiched between the two properties. The developer wants to buy the two properties but the owner does not want to sell.
2758080582_a6212f7b9e_b.jpg

At an Adam Vaughan meeting a couple of days ago Daniels/Kirkor presented their redesigned building. The podium will have a shape that will blend in with the character of the warehouse district and it will have red brick panels. It will have a gallery/theater Artscape space. The tower will no longer have the concave curve starting at the podium, narrowing and then widening at the top. It will now be a more conventional vertical building with a concave north facing wall very similar to Luna at CityPlace. The owner of the two properties that bookend this development has owned them for a long time and for sentimental reasons she has no intention of selling them. The podium will be designed to easily accommodate the possible future acquisition of the Corned Beef restaurant.

MOD EDIT: These photos are not for public release thus removed from UT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back