News   Mar 28, 2024
 149     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Head of Slips (Waterfront Toronto, West 8/DTAH)

I've seen the benches in person and they do look a little cheap. The wooden panel on the side looks like a piece of thin wood that was attached rather than the structural metal side that's represented in the plan:

picture1nn2.png

VS

js4.jpg

^Is it really supposed to be metal? If they painted it red you couldn't really tell the difference between the renderings.

Well, it's certainly not meant to be wood. Those parts are laser cut. A Laser burns wood.

The perforated parts look great though. I hope we see those elsewhere along the waterfront.

Maybe the benches have had The Cheapeningâ„¢ applied to them? Three different designs for snazzy metal supports with a bright red accent are proposed... and then we get still-nicely-shaped but duller wooden supports?

Hmm.

Are you sure it's all wood - it probably wouldn't be strong enough to support the load if it is.

That's the thing, it's not all wood. They just added a fake cover of thin wood.

Perhaps we should just wait until it's done.

The bench is as done as it will be. It's finished, go see for yourself.

What worries me is that this cheapened version of the bench may be what is seen throughout the entire waterfront. The red metal versions were iconic and representative of our country (West 8 likes the Canadian Maple Leaf and Red colour clichés), this built bench is anything but.

Well the designer of the project West 8 + DTAH were the actual designers of those benches..... take a look at Page 7. The new benches being installed there are exactly how they should look as outlined in the furnishings section of the PDF.

http://www.waterfronttoronto.com/dbdocs//47878be73d422.pdf
Yes I knew about these benches. I like the benches. However, I did not remember seeing any of these benches on the actual slips.
Thanks alot bar1967; too many times people jump to conclusions without consulting the plans themselves...

I didn't jumpt to any conclusions. The renders of the slips show no benches.

It's a wood looking laminated material bonded to the metal framing and doesn't have a bad feel to it at all.

The average person will never know it not wood.

Not a mock up and a real thing.

The bench is as done as it will be. It's finished, go see for yourself.

What worries me is that this cheapened version of the bench may be what is seen throughout the entire waterfront. The red metal versions were iconic and representative of our country (West 8 likes the Canadian Maple Leaf and Red colour clichés), this built bench is anything but.

Has it been painted too?

I just fail to see how people can't sit on those fairly big (planks) of wood?
Are the people of Toronto too good for that? lol

Back