News   May 02, 2024
 1     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 97     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 166     0 

East Bayfront: Parkside/Bayside/Dockside neighbourhoods Overview

Wait a minute...on that little map, it says invitation for proposal starts tomorrow, and then it highlights that whole area between Parliament and Sherbourne. I really, really hope that they're not going to try and get one developer with one design to build out that entire area.

That is my concern as well. Why not sell individual parcels to individual developers and have a design review panel and zoning laws keep everyone in check?

I have not been impressed with areas, or even blocks, in this city given over to one developer.

^I have not really been impressed with area, or even blocks, in any city in any country I have visited given over to one contemporary developer regardless of the supposed calibre of design or planning process related to said development exercise.

Two good examples just a little west: CityPlace vs. Fort York Lands. We all know how CP has turned out thus far (with more promise west of Spadina) being built by one developer. FY Lands is still awaiting a verdict since it is mostly incomplete, but I think there will be better integration of buildings and parcels of land.

Given that East Bayfront has been given higher priority since the need for the Waterfront revitalization, it would be better if multiple developers were involved with Waterfront Toronto and the City the driving forces of the whole area.

Planning for a New City Museum at the Malting Silos

The Canada Malting Silos - what can be done?

Join the Design Charrette on the silos March 30

By Toronto Harbourfront Community Association

The City of Toronto has magnificent plans for the derelict Canada Malting Silos - a new waterfront museum dedicated to Toronto's history and culture; past, present and future.

Waterfront residents are invited to participate and provide input into how best to develop this site at the "Community Workshop and Design Charrette" on Sunday March 30th between 10 am and 6pm at the Harbourfront Community Centre. Please find enclosed attached notice of the event; lunch and refreshments will be provided to participants.

Come join your neighbours, architects and city planners who will be on hand to brainstorm ideas on how best to renovate this potential iconic waterfront site. You can participate for just part of the day or attend all the sessions! The point is just come and see the magnificent plans for the property.

Your participation and valuable input will help transform our waterfront neighbourhood into a magnificent cultural, recreational and residential neighbourhood.

You should RSVP your intention to attend to Jacquie Johnson at the City of Toronto at (416) 338-0436 or jjohnso4@toronto.ca ; however feel free to drop by if you are available to attend the charette at the last minute. Do not forget to tell your friends and neighbours about this event.

2008-03-25 12:04:17

Louroz

The City of Toronto has magnificent plans for the derelict Canada Malting Silos

yeah ... demolition

We can expect the wrecking balls as earlier as the summer for everything other than the actual silos and the silos the following summer should this "museum" not pan out. Structurally unsound.

We'll be losing an important part of the actual building. However, given the importance of the location and that it should be something that the majority of Torontonians could enjoy, there should be a big design competition, in the spirit of City Hall. If I'm not there to stress the importance of that, may someone echo that sentiment.

yeah ... demolition

We can expect the wrecking balls as earlier as the summer for everything other than the actual silos and the silos the following summer should this "museum" not pan out. Structurally unsound.

Are you sure the silos are structurally unsound? I worked there for a few years and those things are really thick concrete.

Are you sure the silos are structurally unsound? I worked there for a few years and those things are really thick concrete.

I heard that the buildings west of the silos aren't structurally sound. I would be surprised if the silos weren't structurally sound. They were built to withstand flour explosions after all.

Isn't it the silos near Parliament Street that are unsound (Victory Soy Mills)? I think the Toronto Museum silo's are at the foot of Bathurst St.

Waterfront Toronto announced the short listed development teams for two of its East Bayfront projects this week.

The bidding teams for the Parkside development, at Queens Quay East and Lower Sherbourne Street are:
  • The Daniels Corporation, Robert A.M. Stern Architects, Enermodal Engineering
  • The Great Gulf Group of Companies, Safdie & Associates, Quadrangle Architects Inc., Janet Rosenberg and Associates, Enermodal Engineering, Able Engineering
  • Menkes Development Ltd., AEW Capital Management LP, Arquitectonica, Enermodal Engineering
  • Tridel Builders Inc., Concert Properties Ltd., Wallman Architects, James K.M. Cheng Architects Inc., Claude Cormier Architectes Paysagistes, Stantec Consulting Inc.
  • Walker Corporation Pty Ltd., Cityzen Development Corporation, architectsAlliance, KPMB Architects, de Architekten Cie, Esquisse Design Studio, Phillips Farevaag Smallenberg, Ken Smith Workshop, Enermodal Engineering

Bidding teams for the 13-acre Bayside site, south of Queens Quay East, between Lower Sherbourne Street and Parliament Street are:
  • The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited, Monarch, Fram Building Group Ltd., Albanese Development Corporation, Graziani & Corazza, Pelli Clark Pelli Architects, KPF Associates, Giannone Associates, Cobalt Engineering, Enermodal Engineering
  • Hines, Pelli Clark Pelli Architects, BVM Engineering
  • Menkes Development Ltd., AEW Capital Management LP, Arquitectonica, Enermodal Engineering
  • Walker Corporation Pty Ltd., Cityzen Development Corporation, architectsAlliance, KPMB Architects, de Architekten Cie, Esquisse Design Studio, Phillips Farevaag Smallenberg, Ken Smith Workshop, Enermodal Engineering

The final choice for the development teams for each project is expected by the end of 2008.

Yes, thanks for the info. And that certainly is a heavy-weight list of architects.

Back