Toronto Pinewood Toronto Studios | 10m | 1s | Pinewood Group | HOK

Instead of seeing more of the "Venice by the lake", we are seeing "Sarnia by the lake".

I'm not sure that the Toronto waterfront was ever going to match Venice. Nor do I think the FilmPort is reminiscent of Sarnia. I'm pleased to see the development happening so quickly, and not yet displeased by its physical form or location. Hyperbole, on the other hand, is really boring.

The sound stage from a distance:

100_2090.jpg

100_2092.jpg

Globe: Backroom player is ready for its close-up

Backroom player is ready for its close-up

ELANA SAFRONSKY
Globe and Mail Update
August 18, 2008 at 6:00 AM EDT

It could have been yet another condominium on Toronto's waterfront. Instead, a former brownfield site is the home for what observers hope will rejuvenate the city's film industry and restore its claim as “Hollywood North.â€

A project known as Filmport has its premiere Wednesday with the official launch of the first phase of what ultimately will become a $700-million venue for film production.

Already, a cavernous, hangar-shaped soundstage – at 49,500 square feet, it is said to be the largest of its kind in North America – has become a landmark in an otherwise dreary stretch of former industrial and port property on Toronto's eastern waterfront.

Filmport was created to provide a centralized facility for movie makers, sparing them the need to conduct shoots in abandoned warehouses.

But it's also another feather in the cap for Toronto Economic Development Corp. (TEDCO), which is leasing the 20 acres to the development's principals, Rose Corp. (owner of Toronto Film Studios) producer Comweb Group Inc., and Ken Ferguson, president of Filmport Inc.
The 550,000 square feet of film and television production space planned for the site can be traced to a study TEDCO conducted in 2002, examining why Toronto was losing big productions to other Canadian cities, such as Vancouver and Montreal, Mr. Ferguson says.

“Studios are very expensive to build and a lot of other cities built their soundstages with government assistance. Ontario for years had taken the position that they were not going to throw public money at a private business, and without help it's very difficult for anybody to pull off,†he says.

So, like the cavalry charging in to save the day, TEDCO acquired waterfront property from Imperial Oil Ltd. with an eye to remediation, and to designate it for the construction of the facilities.

“We knew the film industry was hitting a glass ceiling,†says Jeff Steiner, TEDCO's chief executive officer. “And, while it would have been much more profitable, and more fun in some ways, to turn it into a condo village – because it's on the water – we put on our economic development hat and decided that the higher priority for the city was to make land available for the growth in infrastructure for the film industry.â€

TEDCO's role also reflects an odd hybrid of purposes: Pursuing public policy while dabbling in the private world of commercial real estate. From its inception in 1986, TEDCO's mandate has been to “pursue industrial and economic development, and to attract and retain jobs in the City of Toronto.†To this end, it can buy, sell, lease and otherwise deal in real property, also the main source of its revenue.

TEDCO, which acts at arm's length from its sole shareholder, the City of Toronto, has become a significant player in the city's real estate development – indeed, in the case of the port lands, it has ventured where other developers may have been reluctant to tread, one observer suggests.

After the Toronto Harbour Commission transferred more than 400 acres of mostly contaminated port land to TEDCO in the early nineties, real estate development became its core function.

“After we received all that land, [TEDCO] did some projects in the late nineties in and around brownfields that, while they weren't enormous, were in a way ground breaking because they were examples of brownfields actually [being] cleaned up,†Mr. Steiner says.

Today, TEDCO owns more than 500 acres of land across the Greater Toronto Area, has more than one million square feet of proposed developments and is involved in at least 14 projects. Since 1992, it has restored more than 120 acres of brownfield land to productive use, Filmport being the latest example.

It is also an example of how a city's former economic development commission has used more aggressive tactics – expanding its role from mainly landowner to strategic investor and development partner – in pursuing new economies.

Professor Pierrre Filion, co-author of Canadian Cities in Transition: The Twenty-first Century, who teaches at the University of Waterloo's School of Planning, says this is most evident in the port lands.

“Before the city of Toronto amalgamated into the Greater Toronto Area, the inner city was losing manufacturing jobs, and TEDCO wanted them back,†Prof. Filion says, “But now it's very hard to attract industry to those areas. The port's essential functions are few, and Toronto is not a major port city.

“There's not much incentive for [companies] to locate close to the harbour – industry goes to the suburbs. The vision for the waterfront has changed and TEDCO's tactics in developing those lands have had to adjust accordingly.â€

Besides Filmport, another major TEDCO development in the port lands includes the Toronto headquarters and broadcast centre for Corus Entertainment Inc., a $147-million investment that is expected to bring 1,300 workers to Toronto's waterfront area by 2009. Elsewhere in the city, TEDCO is in predevelopment for a 14-acre office complex to be known as Downsview Corporate Centre near the Downsview airport.

“What they're doing is a little bit of city building, which is not necessarily a bad thing,†says Michael Brooks, chief executive officer of the Real Property Association of Canada. “Sometimes, [TEDCO] can accomplish things that a private developer can't, particularly when it comes to land assembly, brownfields and dealing with a larger area … helping to revitalize an area that may otherwise have been pretty stagnant.â€

In the case of Filmport, Mr. Steiner certainly makes a case for TEDCO's hand in city building. Filmport's website refers to the development as a “convergence district†for the film and media community and the company is planning its own foray into commercial real estate with plans for office and industrial space there.

“Filmport will be a hub of employment and dynamism that will make the area interesting. Yes, some people at city council thought the land would be better used as condos, but there are other lands in the surrounding area that will be available for residential development, and of course we want mixed use,†he says.

Thanks to TEDCO's initiative, Mr. Steiner suggests, the transformation around Toronto's downtown coe has already begun. “The port lands were off-off-core, now they're just off-core.â€

IS this a TEDCO advertorial in the G&M or an actual article? It reads like a press release from TEDCO's PR team, not to mention they are part of the reason why there are continual power struggles amongst political bodies involved in the area and would love nothing more than to have public lands handed over to private individuals and corporations..

Further more, there is little if any incentive to do/make/create/have any productions in this city- tax incentives have disappeared, and our dollar is high, making Toronto, and Canada very unattractive for most productions. Unfortunately, and I hope this will change for the better, but Toronto used to have a billion dollar film/tv business, now it is hovering around $200 million and that might even be pushing it - unemployment in this area is very high.

I would hope that this project can reverse these problems, but I somehow can't help but feel bad for all those smaller studios which had to close in order to make way for this behemoth.

p5

I'm not fond of the CORUS building, but I'm supportive of the studio. Let's bring some high-quality movies to this city.

I'm interested to watch the new TV show, Fringe. It's filmed in Toronto. Can't wait to see what I recognize.

Also, why is this tagged with "stupid centres?"

Further more, there is little if any incentive to do/make/create/have any productions in this city- tax incentives have disappeared, and our dollar is high, making Toronto, and Canada very unattractive for most productions. Unfortunately, and I hope this will change for the better, but Toronto used to have a billion dollar film/tv business, now it is hovering around $200 million and that might even be pushing it - unemployment in this area is very high.

I would hope that this project can reverse these problems, but I somehow can't help but feel bad for all those smaller studios which had to close in order to make way for this behemoth.

p5

While I agree with the sensibility of this (hoping that the film/tv industry rebounds), some of your stats are way off the mark. 7 years ago the industry was around $1.2-$1.3 billion/year and last year (2007) it was $700 million (not $200 million) - this year I think it'll be lucky to hit $600 million, tax credits not only exist, but have been substantially enhanced over the past several years on the municipal and provincial level, and the Canadian dollar does have a massive impact. The person who opened this studio owned the smaller studios on Eastern Ave.

The real problem with Toronto's film/tv industry is the lack of domestic production because of certain CRTC Canadian content alterations. Also, Canadian's have been given inferior domestic product (vs. US) and they have the attitude that if it's Canadian it is boring or of poor quality. This might, however, be starting to turn around (witness Flashpoint, the Border, Corner Gas --- but NOT Little Mosque on the Prairie - what an embarassment even if it does do well:)

I really hope this complex does HUGE business!!

I hope they have tours of this place at some point... at least during Doors Open. I'd love to get a look around in the mega studio.

Cronenberg hails Toronto's new Filmport facility
TheStar.com - entertainment - Cronenberg hails Toronto's new Filmport facility
August 20, 2008

Bruce DeMara
Entertainment Reporter

Acclaimed film director David Cronenberg said the opening of Filmport today will be a dramatic boost for movie-making in Toronto.

"I love shooting in Toronto anyway. But (Filmport) makes it easier to convince producers and studios that this is a viable place to shoot. Because I'm never making a movie just on my own obviously, I'm doing it with a lot of people, so you need some weaponry when you're trying to convince people to shoot here instead of someplace else," Cronenberg, the Canadian director behind films such as The Fly, A History of Violence and Eastern Promises.

"The low dollar that we used to have was a big argument. We don't have that at the moment so we need something else. This (Filmport) is that something else," he added.

The film studio, with seven state-of-the-art sound stages – making it among the largest in Canada – officially opened today.

Cronenberg, who has shot Crash and other films in the city, said he and other filmmakers have had to make do in the past with inferior converted warehouses.

"We've had to stop shooting when it rained because the noise was too loud ... because the buildings weren't sound-proofed. It would be much too hot in the summer, much too cold in the winter," Cronenberg said.

"The people who designed this, who built this, who have engineered it, have really sweated the details, every single detail. It's really quite phenomenal and incredibly impressive and incredibly exciting to any film person," Cronenberg said.

Cronenberg heaped praise on Filmport's main asset, a 45,900- square foot sound stage reputed to be largest in North America and possibly the world.

The soundstage, nearing completion, is designed like Paris's famed Notre-Dame cathedral, with flying buttresses on the outside, meaning there are no internal pillars or other obstructions.

"So for me, I have to say that the mega-stage is now my Notre-Dame, it's my cathedral, I plan to worship there regularly," Cronenberg said.

Sam Reisman, president of the Rose Corporation – the majority shareholder in Filmport – said he's not discouraged by the lack of major films ready to take up residence as a result of the unresolved dispute between the major Hollywood studios and the U.S. Screen Actors Guild.

"The labour disagreement, of course, is unpleasant and it causes temporary hardships. But when you make an investment, you make it for a generation, you don't make it for the first quarter or the second quarter results," Reisman said.

"I would expect that next spring, we will see a very robust business here," Reisman said, adding there are a number of "soft holds" from producers to use the site pending the resolution of the labour dispute.

Toronto Mayor David Miller said Filmport will only add to the city's "creative economy," which boasts roughly 190,000 jobs.

"Five years from today, Filmport will be the epicentre of the creative economy in Toronto and will have put us very clearly in our rightful place on the world stage," Miller said.

"We are making a statement today that the future of Toronto will succeed with thinking jobs, creative-type jobs, film industry jobs. We are supporting the 21st century economy in this city and it couldn't be a finer moment," he added.

Back