Mississauga Hurontario-Main Line 10 LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

It's kind of funny (in a really sad and pathetic way) that the people who whine over the loss of a few lanes will be the same ones bitching when gas is too high for them to drive and no one had the foresight to plan better.

I don't know how much I buy into the whole "people in Mississauga will never embrace public transit" argument. That's assuming that the people of Mississauga are a static entity. Thousands of new people move to the city every year and thousands more young people are getting to the age where they can go off on their own. These are the groups transit agencies should be targetting. Someone who moved to the city in the 1970s, for example, will find it hard to ever see him/herself in it without their car. This is their only experiece of the city and their only experience of how to live in it. Some might be pursuaded to hang up the keys, but that group will probably never see transit as their first priority.

Newer groups, younger groups, and groups that are not able to participate in the car culture form the primary ridership of suburban transit systems (at least in my experience). Improvements must be made so that they stick with it. This can be hard when the city still believes that not having a car is a disadvantage - that using transit is a last resort, not a first choice. Through investing in the LRT the city can give further legitimacy to transit. Make the trip more convenient so that when weighing the pros and cons people choose to stick with transit.

You can't just go after the drivers and tell them that they should leave the car at home - you have to prove to them that it is possible. For them it is a sacrifice that you have to prove is worth it. The city needs to take leadership on this. If they really want cars off the roads, they have to stop caving in all of the time.

Of course, this is Canada - not even that - this is the GTA where we make lacklustre promises, wait for someone to complain even a bit, and use that as justification for the cancellation of a project that would've made services barely adequate to begin with.

At least Hamilton looks like they're genuinely interested in LRT. Maybe once their system's up it will spur on more development. Of course, there will be ten years of studies on the affects of the system on traffic before anything else gets done.

I'm sorry if I sound a little angry. It takes me two and a half hours to walk to work because there's no transit and the quickest routes have no sidewalks. The best part is that I work in a gas station in the middle of a parking lot right off of a major highway and I don't even have/plan on getting my licence :p.

I think it's a bit wrong to compare Hamilton and Mississauga with regards to their rather different attitudes towards LRT. Despite their similar size, Hamilton is an old, dense city that developed on its own and had streetcars in the past, whereas Mississauga is a young suburb of Toronto built entirely around the car that only recently began to urbanize. Either way, according to Metrolinx both will get LRT lines in the near future, even though Mississauga is noticeably more hesitant about it. I hope that they'll be more receptive to good urban planning principles once Hazel is gone.

I don't know why it's at that community centre. If it were at city hall I might attend, but I'm not about to drive up to Bristol for this.

I've had to endure crappy 35 minute bus service on Britannia everyday for the past 4 years. You will only have to endure the crappy 40 minute Barondale bus once in a lifetime. And if you are truly interested/concerned, than one potential crappy bus ride shouldn't deter you.

The planner are already planning ahead and it will remain as what we have now.

Orlando wants to build another building up by Britannia Rd and want the build setback 75' from the street edge with parking in front of it.

Planners are see 3 stories building max at major intersection corners.

The push is on for Hazel seat now and they lack the vision what Hurontario could become let alone support LRT/Subway in the first place.

The planner are already planning ahead and it will remain as what we have now.

Orlando wants to build another building up by Britannia Rd and want the build setback 75' from the street edge with parking in front of it.

Planners are see 3 stories building max at major intersection corners.

The push is on for Hazel seat now and they lack the vision what Hurontario could become let alone support LRT/Subway in the first place.

That's disheartening

At least they are looking at urban design as well as transit along the whole corridor. Maybe we'll have a chance to "convince" them that 75 foot setbacks are not in the best interest of humankind.

After reading the recommendations for urban planning that was written for the city, I find all of the above very hard to believe.

1. No parking lots between building and roadway.
2. Buildings must have a wide sidewalks, with trees, between building and roadway.
3. Any parking must be either in back, underground, or in a garage, AND metering (no free parking).
4. Building entrances must be towards or beside the transit stop and next to the sidewalk, not 180° around the building.

After reading the recommendations for urban planning that was written for the city, I find all of the above very hard to believe.

That was what was said at Planning and Development meeting last Monday and I said to council it was a mistake for number of other comments as well the 2 noted.

Is anyone going to the Hurontario/Main Street corridor higher order transit PICs?

I might also say that so far, this is far as inter-municipal cooperation has gotten in the GTA on a project that will serve both cities well.

And as a comparison to Transit City, this corridor makes so much sense for LRT. The Hurontario bus is so slow due to capacity issues. It would not result in forced transfers, nor are there political agendas to sink subway projects. In both Mississauga and Brampton, work is well underway for pre-LRT quality bus services to fill the gap. Trip generators are spread out, and Hurontario is hardly a candidate for a full-fledged subway. This would likely be comparable to US cities' LRT systems for transforming transit's image in places like that.

I'm more excited about this than most of the TC lines (except Eglinton and possibly Finch West)

Back