News   May 09, 2024
 222     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Zip & Vibe at Liberty Village (Monarch, 2x 24s, G+C) COMPLETE

to suggest and compare Bloor West Village to here is completely ridiculous, IMO. Destination retail doesn't happen overnight no matter how much thought went into the design and planning.

as already mentioned, Charming buildings ?!?!

don't get me wrong, could be a lot better but also could be alot worse. The so called strip mall could actually be a strip mall with the stores setback for more parking from the street (currently giving off the internal driveway vibe) and the giant ass surface lot a permanent feature.

I love the idea of Liberty Village, but how did this go so wrong? These buildings remind me of some monstrosity I would have built as a child playing with Lego.

Conveniences

I recently purchased a condo in North Liberty Village, specifically because I loved the mix of old and new in the area. A good bit of character, cute restaurants, safe walking, shopping, easy access to the highways, a 24hour Dominion grocery store, a Blockbuster rental location, an LCBO and a Starbucks. I just don't see anything WRONG with having a few amenities (like groceries, wine, and movies!!), even in an old warehouse district.

Anyway, I think there's an element of snobbish disdain for anything "new built" in King West. Personally, I love the neighbourhood and think it will only get better..

There's nothing wrong with the amenities - they are great. The problem is the massive parking lot located out front and the fact that many of the amenities are located in a low rise building when that is unnecessary.

Why weren't these amenities built into a mid or high rise building located on the same property? Why does this neighborhood perpetuate car culture so close to downtown (which is also unnecessary)?

I think there is still hope in LV, as there are a decent range of types of buildings, but I think it seriously needs some good decent parkland to tie it together.

The problem is the massive parking lot located out front and the fact that many of the amenities are located in a low rise building when that is unnecessary.

The parking lot is a temporary measure to be replaced by office space when the market warrants.

Why weren't these amenities built into a mid or high rise building located on the same property?

I imagine the risk as well as the timing didn't justify putting the retail into larger mixed-use building however that shouldn't preclude that what ever has been built won't be re-developed over the next 15 years.

Concerning the new portion of Liberty Village, the Dominion store is located in a strip mall, the first slab tower has a really drab colour scheme, the townhomes are banal and the roadways have a layout that resembles suburbia. Otherwise, it's okay. ;)

It's similar to what became of the stockyards area in the Junction as well, another large industrial area in its heyday. Fortunately there's some political will to transform the Portlands into more than just another slice of Brampton.

Zip at Liberty Village (Monarch, 24s, G+C)

Standing tall from Queen West this afternoon:

DSC06135.jpg

Was it really necessary to build these two eyesores so close together? It seems to only amplify the ugliness.

IMO I don't find the second building that offensive. Albeit it won't win any awards but it sure is better than the first one!!!

Vibe is actually the third one you're talking about.

That picture is actually the second phase, which is called Zip.

Back