News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 571     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

They've kept the longitudinal seating, good thing, but they've also reduced the window coverage, it looks like. The doors would be fine as back-ups), except the TTC would stick all sorts of courtesy reminders all over them (as if they actually work).

The new TTC Subway car...

ST: The front end of the new TTC Subway car that you posted is flat out UGLY-that comparison to the robot was interesting-and right.

299Bloor: That Bombardier car you pictured I believe is for the Hong Kong MTR-I recognize the logo below the front windows. I feel that black is NOT good for visibility and at the very least a bright red stripe on the front end be added. I hope you are right about the actual front end design and it is changed some way. But-the interior pics and colors from the mock-up and artists renderings look good-I really like the red and gray.

Lets all hope the TTC picks a good Subway car design-it will be a future "face" of the TTC to the riding public! LI MIKE

Actually, the car I showed was for Shenzhen, just north of HOng Kong. The Shenzhen Metro was tendered out to the MTR Corporation, which created a very inspirational logo for Shenzhen nearly identical to that of their own in Hong Kong. ;) I was in Shenzhen last APril and damn those cars were sterile on the inside. All white and metal. It felt like I was on board a UFO.

The front of the Movia in the photo which 299 posted looks better, because it's almost entirely one colour, in this case a shiny black. It also looks to be more sloped. Since it's still early and they're doing the final review on the mechanical systems, it doesn't seem to be an issue.

New 2009 TTC Trains

I have a question about the information given about the new train called, "The Toronto Rocket."

-Why are they only putting these train on the Yonge-University-Spadina Line?

I mean descriptions of these trains, say, "It catches danger, on a camera." But danger can happen on any subway line in the system. Maybe if they in still all these stuff into the T1 Trains it'll probably be okay. But it has to look as one system.

I think in about 1-2 years when the T1's are getting old, they should buy more cars to build more the "Toronto Rocket" trains. So they can put it on the Bloor-Danforth Line as well. They can keep T1 trains for the Sheppard Line since nothing really goes on there.

Or you can use them but not as much, and maybe the rest Toronto can sell for money.

I have a question about the information given about the new train called, "The Toronto Rocket."

-Why are they only putting these train on the Yonge-University-Spadina Line?

I mean descriptions of these trains, say, "It catches danger, on a camera." But danger can happen on any subway line in the system. Maybe if they in still all these stuff into the T1 Trains it'll probably be okay. But it has to look as one system.

I think in about 1-2 years when the T1's are getting old, they should buy more cars to build more the "Toronto Rocket" trains. So they can put it on the Bloor-Danforth Line as well. They can keep T1 trains for the Sheppard Line since nothing really goes on there.

Or you can use them but not as much, and maybe the rest Toronto can sell for money.

Because Youge needs them now to deal with the ridership load. Even when the Richmond Hill Rail line becomes all day service with same fare as TTC, there is a capacity issue that will still be there.

If you got 20,000 plus condo's unites going to be built along Yonge in York region, 416 will not find a seat and will be fighting for that last standing room on any type of subway train at peak.

Add in all the condo's being built at Finch, let alone Steeles or Sheppard, capacity is a problem.

TTC is looking at advancing the next order by 5 years and will be in the 2009-2014 budget for placement.

If Sheppard is converted to LRT's like it should, then it the end of the line for T1's. Taking the LRT line over to Downsview, will offer another way going south and will help to take some pressure off Yonge.

TTC cannot sell them as they are wider than most systems in the first place.

BD has more jumpers than Yonge, but until Yonge is done, it will have to deal with T1's and the issues until the new trains arrive.

How long will those orange and yellow coloured trains last.
Umm, from the last few times i've been on the TTC is they don't use them anymore. They use H5, the ones that have the red seats and orange coloured wood, yeaa.

I don't think that the T1 cars are getting old yet,,,, last i heard the TTC is planning to have the YUS line use all TR cars and move all the T1 cars to BD and sheppard. mostly because YUS needs the capacity and the new cars would be compatible with the automatic train control system.

they could easily install cameras on the current fleet, I even remember hearing something in the news about plans to do this

I don't think that the T1 cars are getting old yet,,,, last i heard the TTC is planning to have the YUS line use all TR cars and move all the T1 cars to BD and sheppard. mostly because YUS needs the capacity and the new cars would be compatible with the automatic train control system.

they could easily install cameras on the current fleet, I even remember hearing something in the news about plans to do this

Cameras is a non issue.

The YUS is to be 100% TR's By 2013 going from memory for what was said at TTC April meeting as the next order is being move up by 5 years.

The problem is the math by staff as we are going to be short trains using their numbers.

The issue is what happens to the T1 for Sheppard if the current Subway is not expanded.

As more TR show up to start to replace the T1's, Sheppard will be come an orphan line like the SRT since the TR are design as a 6 pack, not a 4 pack. The station are built for 6 cars and you can knock the walls down to have 6 pack use it.

Using the current headway and a 6 pack, it will be a long time before headway would fall.

If Sheppard is to be an LRT line, then convert the subway to LRT and extend the line over to Downsview as one seamless line. In fact, take it all the way over to Weston Rd regardless if that section has a lower ridership to maintain one seamless vehicle and no transfer. It will help to add more riders.

^ converting all the Sheppard line stations' platforms to sidewalk height to match the low floors of the new LRT's, replacing all the tracks along the Sheppard subway route, installing overhead power wires, dismantling the current setup and the money thrown away that was spent to build the Sheppard subway as a subway will likely cost as much as building another few subway stations to STC. Just build 3 stations further apart than currently and rough in future stations. Most of it would be cut and cover as there is little built density along the route.

I hope that Metrolinx takes Toronto's Transit City proposal as a guide but converts the Sheppard, Eglinton and Paper LRTs into full blown subway lines. A bonus: DRL. :rolleyes:

Nonetheless, back on topic: we're getting the new trains in 2009? That's great news.. I somehow thought it was much later.

^ converting all the Sheppard line stations' platforms to sidewalk height to match the low floors of the new LRT's, replacing all the tracks along the Sheppard subway route, installing overhead power wires, dismantling the current setup and the money thrown away that was spent to build the Sheppard subway as a subway will likely cost as much as building another few subway stations to STC. Just build 3 stations further apart than currently and rough in future stations. Most of it would be cut and cover as there is little built density along the route.

I hope that Metrolinx takes Toronto's Transit City proposal as a guide but converts the Sheppard, Eglinton and Paper LRTs into full blown subway lines. A bonus: DRL. :rolleyes:

Nonetheless, back on topic: we're getting the new trains in 2009? That's great news.. I somehow thought it was much later.

The schedule call for 2 test units in 2009, but with the delay in contract, it most likely be spring 2010. Testing will have to take place before the whole order is put into full productions and that supposed to take 6 months the last I heard.

It will not cost as much as you think to convert to LRT vs building tunnels.

The idea going to STC is dead and I never supported it from day one.

The fall 2006 or was that 5, the report/presentation show quit clearly the line should stay on Sheppard and go past Markham Rd.

That is why the current LRT plan show it staying on Sheppard 100%. There is 2 option as how to service STC.

Current cost to just to get under the 404 is just over $400 m. Added in one or two stations to Victoria, that a few $100 m more.

At best, $100 m to convert the existing system.

I've never seen a serious origin/destination study explaining the sudden shift in priorities from NYC-STC to continue east on Sheppard past Markham Road. It seems patently obvious to my eyes that there are far more people at Scarborough Centre, and far better onward connections, than east on Sheppard. There's nothing at Sheppard and Morningside, and very little at Sheppard and Markham. By contrast, there are thousands of jobs and residents in Scarborough Centre.

It's a brilliant scheme to kill off the subway, though. Obviously there's minuscule ridership if you don't go to Scarborough Town Centre, so it's a perfect way to say that a subway isn't justified.

The typically TTC all-underground subway on Sheppard is also way over-designed. There's no reason why a good portion of it, including the whole segment east of Kennedy, couldn't be built above ground.

The TTC seems to have completely abandoned any kind of serious study about where to locate routes. In any other city, there'd at the very least have to be a study on where people are actually travelling before such a dramatic change in priorities.

Back