News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 318     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 874     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I think I have finally read the worst excuses and ultimate apology for the crap that is TLS, and it so sad to read. People are actually excusing bad architecture for the most illogical reasons (young people????? seriously???? that is the best you can do???).

The decisions on what to build at Yonge & Dundas probably have more to do with economics/corporate culture than they do with improving the image (no matter how idealistic or high minded) of Toronto's downtown outside of the city's borders.

Yonge and Dundas is straight up economics. Build it cheap, make lots of money. Over the top advertising, creates huge crowds.

Obviously "great architecture" didn't make Yonge & Dundas the busiest pedestrian intersection in Canada. There was some other reason.. ..
..I wonder what it was? hmmm.....

Jack Astor's has placed a half dozen huge palm trees on their patio. Awesome. At viewpoint from Dundas Square, it looks very Hollywood. Well done. Sweet touch.

Looks like third floor food court will open this week. Training staff were being prepped today during training.

Well, re the "bad architecture" business, let's consider NYC's Times Square today, 42nd Street and everything. It's utterly commercial and aimed at whatever least/broadest denominator. However, thanks to the kind of planning and commissioning involved, the actual execution is exemplary, and miles above TLS. It's proof that even commercial schlock benefits when it's executed with a little thought and class and, yes, sophistication.

TLS's sin isn't in being like Times Square. TLS's sin is in being a crude small-town hick knockoff of Times Square.

No of course not all youth are "ignorant". But can we make the assumption that the kids that hang out at Dundas Sqaure are?.. I mean....for arguements sake.
yeah you would have to be ignorant to hang out there because the building sucks lol

Out of the big four Alpha cities in the world, it seems that Paris is thankfully still a virgin from all this unsightly commercial advertising hegemony that plagues Times Square, Piccadilly Circus, and Shibuya Crossing... who, by the way, are all infinitely better than Toronto Life Square.

^ Not a virgin... this was Paris' media tower in the 1920s.

Tour_Eiffel_Citroen.jpg

Out of the big four Alpha cities in the world, it seems that Paris is thankfully still a virgin from all this unsightly commercial advertising hegemony that plagues Times Square, Piccadilly Circus, and Shibuya Crossing... who, by the way, are all infinitely better than Toronto Life Square.

Look on the bright side: At least no one can say we are trying to be like Times Square, Piccadilly Circus or Shibuya Crossing. - We are just doing the crapola Toronto thing to the Max. And by the size of the crowds at Yonge & Dundas these days, we may have to assume that the people like our uniquely Toronto verision of the ungodly & tacky Media Square.

So that means Times Square, Piccadilly Circus and Shibuya Crossing are infinitely better at doing unsightly plagues of commercial advertising? Could that mean that you must have some liking for the comparatively understated nature of TLS?

Cities are centres of commerce (commercial) activity. As for display advertising across the city, hegemonic is a bit of an overstatement.

^Meanwhile, in the real world, urbandreamer finds himself on a blind date later this week: Guess which venue he chose? For kicks, TLS!

Shall I report live to photo on UT?

Why would you go on a blind date, in this internet age? Oh well, if you must, at least humour us with some nice updates.

Well, it's not really blind. A facebook date, know what I'm saying? I thought it would be humorous to humor the babe with a meal at the Astor's family lodge.;)

ok that makes sense. - Don't forget to take some pictures.

Humour us.

btw u/d: My dad just told me he plans on building a house in Trinidad, which is great, cause I am racking up a tonne of Trinidadian honies on my facebook page. And when I get down there I want to cause unending damage to all the women down there. -

Welcome to Caltrane's tropical honey mansion!! (when we finish building it, I'll be sure to invite you down for some soca vibes and booze)

update from flickr.com Andrew San Juan.

2481080987_6345f24651_b.jpg

Back