News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 636     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Museum Station

I wonder how much TTC architecture fans would pay (or in the case of Museum, would have paid) for just a piece of the 'iconic' washroom tiling and classic TTC signage in Toronto subway stations.

All of Toronto's original subway stations were solid designs of their time...if they would all have just been maintained in pristine, original vintage condition, we would be very lucky...imagine a gleaming Vitrolite line on Yonge and working neon art and Eames chairs on the Spadina line.

Oh, it's not awful, it's just somewhat kitsch. TLS - now that's awful. At least Museum station feels like a destination now, as opposed to a quiet backwater where a subway happens to stop.

I don't find it feels anymore like a destination than it did before.

All of Toronto's original subway stations were solid designs of their time...if they would all have just been maintained in pristine, original vintage condition, we would be very lucky...imagine a gleaming Vitrolite line on Yonge and working neon art and Eames chairs on the Spadina line.

I agree. Upgrading some of the materials and giving the place a general cleanup in the spirit of the original station design would've been a much better idea.

I don't find it feels anymore like a destination than it did before.

Did you see people taking photos in the station previous to the reno? I never did. But I did see this happen a few days back.

Those new benches haven't been a success story. I never see anyone sitting on them. The don't look that comfortable, and because the surface has a light colour, they look often look dirty. There aren't enough benches, but it would be a shame to install those standard ones in the centre of the platform. It would ruin the unique aisle effect.

I see the pristine white Greek columns are already scuffed up. I gave one a few marks with my shoe earlier today.

Catch me if you can.

The light fixtures, benches and white columns are really showing the grime.

Seen a few foot pints on various columns from riders who had to put the foot up to rest.

It was performance art.
"Hey, you etched your name into a subway train window just because you don't like the colour of the seats?"
"It was performance art."

I love how everyone complains about how the columns will end up vandalized, then they actively do so themselves or support people who do. Get this: maybe there are people in the general public who like the redesign. In fact, I'd say the majority do and it's just our type that actively searches out flaws so they can go "lol TTC". Yes, it could look better, but by doing your part to mess with the redesign, you're no better than the scratchitti "artists" that everyone always complains about.

Back