Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

It hasn't been made absolutely clear yet (sorry), but it would appear that the second of the two towers of what we were calling Clear Spirit is to be called the Gooderham. In total that will still mean three towers onsite: Pure Spirit, Clear Spirit, and Gooderham.

The current condo sales office at the Distillery is for Clear Spirits, which is going to be where the current 6 story building in the Distillery is located (next to Mill Street Brew Pub). The Gooderham will be on top of the two tankhouses in front of the Young Centre, which is just east of Clear Spirits.

I passed by Spire and the Distillery today, and was amazed. Without blueprints, it's virtually impossible to tell the two towers apart. Pretty much the only significant difference is the random yellow panelling on Spire. Must've saved a fortune in design costs.

One tower is fine. When five or more are ultimately built, there won't be a shred of natural light in the the district for most of the day.

I passed by Spire and the Distillery today, and was amazed. Without blueprints, it's virtually impossible to tell the two towers apart. Pretty much the only significant difference is the random yellow panelling on Spire. Must've saved a fortune in design costs.

One tower is fine. When five or more are ultimately built, there won't be a shred of natural light in the the district for most of the day.

Yeah, I think it's because they are both from the Clews' Christmas Catalogue (model 3B if I remember - 1 regular size and 1 'biggie' size). I believe Murano is a model 2A so it should be slightly different.

Yeah, I think it's because they are both from the Clews' Christmas Catalogue (model 3B if I remember - 1 regular size and 1 'biggie' size). I believe Murano is a model 2A so it should be slightly different.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's almost exactly how it works out in some cases. Developers see a tower that's nice and gotten good press and they ask for the same.

Point towers permit more natural light than a low-rise shantytown would. What shadows there are move rapidly across the site.

aA are increasingly prolific, and eventually their distinctive, sleek and handsomely proportioned point towers will punctuate the skyline as the spires of Wren churches once did in London.

Already there are vantage points where Spire and Pure Spirit can be seen together. Similarly, the eye will one day be able to make connections between the Four Seasons towers and 18 Yorkville; between Casa and X and Radio City; between St.Mikes and Murano; between 16 York and 18 Lower Jarvis, etc. etc.

How unusual to have one firm making over our skyline in this way. How fortunate we are that it is such a good one.

While browsing Great Gulf's website, I noticed a building they are doing in Denver, Colorado that struck my eye. 1401 Lawrence. This 51-storey building is fairly attractive with simple lines and decent glass. However I believe it would be model 3D from the Clewes' Christmas Catalogue United States edition. A Four Seasons-Spire hybrid with a Festival Tower base (although that's KPMB's)

While browsing Great Gulf's website, I noticed a building they are doing in Denver, Colorado that struck my eye. 1401 Lawrence. This 51-storey building is fairly attractive with simple lines and decent glass. However I believe it would be model 3D from the Clewes' Christmas Catalogue United States edition. A Four Seasons-Spire hybrid with a Festival Tower base (although that's KPMB's)

Well, this certainly is a demonstration of the universalism of this neo-modernist style (as these designers see it, anyhow). Denver...Toronto...whatever...the building style will fit anywhere.

So is Peter Clewes aA Canada's first truly international architect?

Not by a long shot. In recent years Erickson, Safdie, Zeidler, Cardinal, Moriyama, KPMB and others have all had high profile jobs outside the country. Safdie works mostly outside of Canada in fact.

Not by a long shot. In recent years Erickson, Safdie, Zeidler, Cardinal, Moriyama, KPMB and others have all had high profile jobs outside the country. Safdie works mostly outside of Canada in fact.

Almost all those listed probably do more work outside of Canada than inside.

Safdie works for SOM now doesn't he? I think he had a hand in the new Pearson Terminal 1.

His firm worked with SOM on T1. I believe Safdie was responsible for giving T1 its look, while SOM made it work.

Back