News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 627     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Bakeries

I love real bread.

Us Eastern European immigrants call anything that looks and feels like Wonder Bread - "Wata", which essentially means "Sponge". The stuff is horrid.

Carousel Bakery at St. Lawrence is excellent. There's also several good bakeshops in Bloor West Village.

hahaha @ Wata (Vata in Russian) LOL :D I hate the mass produced local bread, really miss the old-fashioned Russian black bread..

There is a wonderful new (1 years-old) organic bakery/coffee house in the Lakeshore Village (Kipling and Lakeshore BLVD W, it's called "Tatsu's", their bread is excellent, so is their coffee, they're owned by a couple who immigrated from Japan a few years ago..

Best bakery in the city: Dimpflmeier. Pastries and danishes are $0.85. Coffee is cheap (and good). Also in a close vicinity to other European delis, etc.

They sell Russian black bread at the local Russian/Ukrainian delis on Bloor St West--the one by High Park (which I hate--owners are cold jerks) and the other one closer to Dundas West (much friendlier.)

It's definitely not the same taste, completely different scent too.. I know all of those bakeries/delis inside and out :) I do buy kvas still, again, nothing like fresh Odessa Kvas :)

Oh well. There's gotta be a reason you came to Canada? Why not try some other cuisine?

That's the problem I have with the locals--many Russian immigrants: they aren't curious about trying the vast ethnic food choices available to them in Canada.

There's always homemade black bread, homemade kvass etc. Actually, the best kvass I've had--just discovered it last week--is found at Solero Bakery on Dundas West: Riga Kvass. Much more balanced and sophisticated.

Is the bread found in Montreal much better than in Toronto? Hell yeah!

Oh well. There's gotta be a reason you came to Canada? Why not try some other cuisine?

That's the problem I have with the locals--many Russian immigrants: they aren't curious about trying the vast ethnic food choices available to them in Canada.

There's always homemade black bread, homemade kvass etc. Actually, the best kvass I've had--just discovered it last week--is found at Solero Bakery on Dundas West: Riga Kvass. Much more balanced and sophisticated.

Is the bread found in Montreal much better than in Toronto? Hell yeah!

That's crazy Urban :) I love Canada and love all the other ethnic varieties (food), Russian is the only food that I don't buy because it's nothing like back home.

where did you meet these people?? Every Russian I know raves about sushi and pizza, Ethiopian food is amazing too, so is Korean.

This neighbourhood is crawling with recent arrivals! They sit around and complain about Canada....:(

Reading your posts, I get a sense you've been in Canada much longer--10 years plus, and thus have discovered the place: good for you and your friends.

Newbies, typically are in culture shock.

Anyhow, I was just daring to state a few gripes I have about various Canuck newbies....some who've been in Canada for centuries (like Mennonites, who stick amongst their own people and rarely try other folks' food, etc....)

This neighbourhood is crawling with recent arrivals! They sit around and complain about Canada....:(

Reading your posts, I get a sense you've been in Canada much longer--10 years plus, and thus have discovered the place: good for you and your friends.

Newbies, typically are in culture shock.

Anyhow, I was just daring to state a few gripes I have about various Canuck newbies....some who've been in Canada for centuries (like Mennonites, who stick amongst their own people and rarely try other folks' food, etc....)

I get your meaning but I've never met people like that unless they're in their late seventies (then again many old people complain, about everything).. I have quite a few "recent arrival" or "just off the boat" friends, they love Toronto and Canada, they care more about what's happening in the city hall and where is the newest organic market, the conversations recently are about boycotting Beijing olympics and where to find the cheapest condo lol

Have you ever wondered why those Sushi restaurants do so well in the Bloor West Village? :)

(like Mennonites, who stick amongst their own people and rarely try other folks' food, etc....)

Maybe they don't like how it's prepared :p

I know of long-term Polish Canadians who are puzzled by why newer arrivals aren't into rye w/caraway. Probably has something to do with caraway being more a Jewish, or North American, or something, thing...

I recently discovered Cob's Bread on Bloor/Spadina, just across the Dominion. I love their bread, fresh everyday.

BTW, can anyone tell me where I can buy bread that has walnuts?

It's nice having the Cob's shop in the neighbourhood - particularly close for me which is great but I still frequent Harbord Bakery for breads and pastries.

Cob's doesn't do bagels and their pastry selection is pretty bland and limited.

Love the fresh pane de casa though ;)

Funny how I don't hear more "there goes the neighbourhood" sentiment re Cobs--at least in places like Kensington.

Though the Marmite-laced whatchamacallit I got there once (on a recommendation) wasn't bad--and simply being Marmite (or was it Vegemite) makes it Kensington-worthy in spite of itself...

Back