News   May 01, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 398     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 376     0 

Report: Argos, CFL looking into an NFL team for Toronto

While I think I can't believe the average $250/ticket for the NFL here, I can't say that, because of the outrageous prices people pay to see a lousy NHL team, the only one with its own digital pay TV station for broadcasting regular games.

Toronto is badly underserved. Therefore people like Godfrey and Royal Tanenbaum can charge such high prices for these games you can see in Buffalo for one-fifth the price.

LIMIKE: While ACC wasn't taxpayer-funded, SkyDome was (for $600 million in 1989 dollars, purhased by Rogers for $25 million 15 years later) and so are MLSE's other facilities, like the new training centre, their arena in Oshawa, and the Soccer Stadium (where they kept the surplus from the BMO naming rights for themselves).

Star: Fans should be wary of Bills shuffle

Feb 07, 2008 04:30 AM
Dave Perkins
SPORTS Columnist

Once again, they are peeing in our ears and telling us it's raining.

Larry Tanenbaum, Ted Rogers and Phil Lind don't trust football fans enough to tell them the truth about the Buffalo Bills coming to Toronto for one regular-season game a year over five years, plus three exhibition games.

It's clearly about getting an NFL team for Toronto and this is the best first step: To show the league there are enough customers who will fork over a top price of probably $350 a ticket – with, Lind promised, a few sub-$100 seats up in the Ueckers – to demonstrate the drive of the market.

Now, they all know the real goal here. You know it. The NFL knows it. Even Ralph Wilson Jr., who owns the Bills and is trying to make the team's eventual exit from downtrodden Buffalo as painless as possible, knows it. How did Wilson put it yesterday about the Bills' dwindling market? "We've overturned all the rocks in western New York and we had to look this way."

Paul Godfrey has spent a quarter-century striving for an NFL team in Toronto and now that something concrete is actually happening, Godfrey must bite his tongue and toe the party line, which, according to Lind, is this: "Our entire focus is on these games and only these games."

Here's the truth: Larry Tanenbaum wants to own a team. Ted Rogers wants to make money, but Larry wants to be Jerry Jones. He's in charge of the Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment conglomerate, but he isn't. Not really. The board of directors, anchored by the money-lenders at the Teachers Pension Plan, calls the shots, sometimes over Larry's objections.

An NFL team, he figures, is his path to 51 per cent; Rogers will take a position and owns the temporary playpen, which doubtless will be stuffed for the games. (There were some 500 names on the waiting list before yesterday's press conference ended.)

The fiction is that the Bills testing the water in Toronto can't hurt the Canadian Football League and that the Argonauts and CFL commissioner Mark Cohon are supportively on board. In reality, the Argos were offered participation in a done deal – their season-ticket holders go to the front of the line – and Cohon has two choices: He can try to make nice with the NFL and grab a little here and there, even though seven of his eight owners are against it, or he can scream and shout and be ignored.

As for the CFL, we know Tanenbaum's feelings here: When he and the gang at MLSE hijacked that publicly financed soccer stadium, the first thing they did was pour concrete close enough to the field to assure that no CFL game, much less a high school championship, could be played there. That didn't bother Rogers, either; the Argos will remain his tenant at the SkyDome, which, he chortled yesterday, "cost other people $600 million to build (and) we got for $25 million."

You know who those "other people" are. The same ones who will be asked to lay out the seed money for a 72,000-seat NFL stadium that the team owners will surely come asking for.

The new website, ostensibly to register participants in the ticket lottery that will be held, is part of the plan, too. It will collect thousands of names of interested NFL fans who will be the place to start when they offer personal seat licences, starting at $10,000 each, to finance the new stadium. Let's see, 60,000 PSLs at $10,000 each is $600 million. The guess here is that they'll allow taxpayers to contribute the rest.

It all starts, though, with them pretending there's no end game here. Please pass the Kleenex.

The NFL coming to Toronto-the plot definitely thickens...

ST: Good article on Ralph Wilson and the Toronto support for the NFL-this must be rough on WNY-he is all but saying that he is seeking moving the Bills to Toronto. It is interesting that tickets to games will be vastly more expensive for these games then they are at Rich Stadium. As said-the fans will come anyway.

Personal Seat Licenses-is a good way to me to fund stadium construction because people are putting money where they WANT to not because they would HAVE to as taxpayers.

I recall that two cities that constructed stadiums in the 90s funded them in interesting ways-Cleveland funded their stadiums by "sin taxes" on basically alcohol and tobacco products(mostly in Cuyahoga County,Ohio where Cleveland is located) and the State of Maryland had special Maryland Lottery tickets for a time with the proceeds benefitting stadium construction in Baltimore and Landover(FedEX Field for the Washington Redskins) as a good alternative to tax dollars. This type of fund raising I have no problem with-as said you contribute if you want to. These - among other ideas-should be looked at to fund a future NFL stadium in Toronto.

It will be interesting to see just what happens concerning the NFL and Toronto. My thoughts today-LI MIKE

Star

Link to article

Steelers to play Bills in Toronto
Email Story Email story
Print Print
Text Size Text Size Text Size Choose text size
Report Typo Report typo or correction
AddThis

Mar 21, 2008 04:30 AM

The Buffalo Bills will kick off their eight-game stint in Toronto this summer with an exhibition game against the Pittsburgh Steelers, according to a published report.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported in yesterday's editions that the NFL teams will square off at the Rogers Centre sometime between Aug.14 and Aug.18 when the Toronto Blue Jays are on the road.

The CFL's Toronto Argonauts will play host to the Montreal Alouettes at the Rogers Centre on Aug.15.

The Bills will play eight games (five regular-season contests, three exhibitions) at the Rogers Centre over the next five years. The NFL club says the move is an attempt to tap into southern Ontario's lucrative corporate base but many football pundits believe this is the first step in the Bills eventually relocating.

Buffalo owner Ralph Wilson, 89, certainly fuelled speculation the NFL club could be on the move when he said last summer he would not sell the franchise while he was alive and that once he died, the Bills would go to the highest bidder. With the Canadian dollar close to par with the U.S. dollar, that would allow a Toronto-based group headed up by communications mogul Ted Rogers and Larry Tanenbaum of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment to certainly be a player in the Bills sweepstakes.

Buffalo is also scheduled to play a regular-season game in Toronto this year. The expectation is that contest will be played in December after the Grey Cup in Montreal.

The Canadian Press

Good news for Toronto! It's not hard to envision busloads of fans coming from the city with the highest NFL fan loyalty making the 6-hour trip to Toronto.

Why not just get a new team here rather than steal away Buffalo's team? It's like kicking Buffalo while they're down.

how do you think places like Florida gets two hockey teams????

Another hockey team in southern Ontario won't happen until the situation in Atlanta, Nashville (how long before Del Baggio moves them to Oklahoma City? 3 years is my guess) and Miami gets sorted. My guess is by the next CBA these teams will have to be addressed. Tampa Bay is remarkably successful though at the gate and they have a horrible team (apart from Lecavalier and St Louis), so they will stay put.

Even then, the only way another team comes here is if one of the aforementioned moves. Bettman would rather see expansion teams go to Las Vegas and (if Del Baggio doesn't move Nashville) Oklahoma City, so there's no shot at a new team coming. It will essentially take Balsille to buy Atlanta or Florida and move them (with the other team hopefully being bought and moved to Winnipeg). Then the issue of territorial rights will come up and you'll probably see something go to the courts due to anti-trust and whatnot. If anyone tells you a team can't come to Ontario because of territory rights, tell them its BS and there's nothing in the league Constitution. It's just a myth and there's nothing that could stop Balsille from moving someone into Copps Coliseum.

As for the Ottawa CFL team, if I'm not mistaken the owner of the Rough Riders team that died in 1996 owns the rights to the name, and wants payment for its use. That's why the Renegades were the Renegades. So whether a new team would pay for the name or not, it beats me, but considering how unstable Ottawa football franchises have been over the last two decades I don't think I'd want to waste money on a name.

I don't know how these professional sports leagues expect to build any tradition in the cities they reside when the teams move around all over the place.

Star

Link to article

100,000 in hunt for Bills tickets

Apr 12, 2008 04:30 AM
Rick Matsumoto

Organizers of the Buffalo Bills games at the Rogers Centre announced yesterday that 100,000 people have registered for the ticket lottery for the three pre-season and five regular-season games to be played over the next five years.

The Argonauts reminded their fans that new and renewing season-ticket subscribers will receive priority in obtaining tickets for the Bills games. Details of the Bills tickets – including prices – have not yet been announced.

Back