News   Apr 25, 2024
 60     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

1233 Queen East | ?m | 8s

I know that Finch is a single, middle platform. I'm not really familiar with Kennedey, Kipling and Downsview, but I assume they are all a single, middle platform.

I'd assume seeing as they are all terminal stations that they will have the mock up on one of the tracks, and have trains pull into the other empty track. The active train will have to depart before the next train pulls in, meaning that all trains will enter and exit from one side of the platform.

Greg

TTCCar3.jpg

TTCCar1.jpg

TTCCar2.jpg

TTCMap1.jpg

TTCMap2.jpg

Sorry, I was wrong, my criticism was premature as I had only seen half of the car on Monday and thought that was the whole thing. I saw the whole thing today, and it was a pretty good mockup.

The blue indicator is a good idea, but there should be some indicator on the platform too on where the wheelchairs and multipurpose holding areas are. That's the only suggestion I can remember right now.

I finally saw the mock-up today. It's decent. I love the electronic subway map, the indication what door to take and the walk-through cars. I was indifferent on the security measures, the anti-baterial handles and the striping on the floor. My only negative comment was for the security TV screen. Seems like the LED sign, electronic map and security TV screen are overkill - how will you know where to look. I suggest combining the LED sign and security screen.

The funniest question was about the evacuation door. The TTC asks if I think it'll make it quicker and easier to evacuate a train than the present methods. I said that I hadn't evacuated a train using the present methods, so I was unable to judge.

All in all, though, looking forward to seeing some of these cars in real life...

With the crowds on the platform, no one will be able to see the handicapped blue light (especially from wheelchair level) - it should be above the door.

The blue light is shown in the train rendering to be almost flush with the side of the train, which means nobody would be able to see it clearly unless he/she is standing right in front of the door... which seems to defeat the purpose of the light.

wow, just make that glass tinted black and you've pretty much got yourself a replica.

Separated at birth?

Ed-209.jpg
new_train.jpg

Toronto Subway Car--------------------------- ED-209

Now just replace Betty with the "You've got 10 seconds to comply!" voice (or even bring in James Earl Jones), and you'd be set. HAL 9000 wouldn't be bad either.

hopefully the subway cars will perform better than the ed209 ever did.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Toronto Rocket takes shape [/FONT]​
The new Toronto Rocket is beginning to take shape at Bombardier’s assembly plant in Thunder Bay.

“The TTC and Bombardier are presently working with key sub-system suppliers on the final design review process,†said Rail Vehicle Projects Head Chris Heald. “Sub-systems include doors and auxiliary power supply.â€

TTC representatives including trainers, maintainers, operators and supervisors reviewed full-size mock-ups of the new train’s under frame, interior and cab in late 2007. All features are being designed to meet the TTC’s System Safety Plan, and to apply worldwide best practice for operability and maintainability.

Howard Wax, Chair of the Advisory Committee on Accessible Transportation, also attended the design review to provide an accessibility perspective. He summarized the design of the passenger compartment in one word: “Wow!â€

The TTC’s new subway trains are a “six-car-fixed†configuration with open gangways that will enable riders to walk freely from one end to the other. Bombardier is building 39 fully accessible train sets (or 234 cars). The first train is scheduled for delivery in late 2009.

tr_1.jpg
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Full-length view of engineering mock-up at Bombardier's Thunder Bay plant.
[/FONT]

Back