Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Another anecdotal observation on ridership: Sheppard West seems quite busy throughout the day. Ridership seems higher than five years ago when I first started using that station regularly. Plenty of people transferring to and from the buses.

Surprisingly good ridership at 407 now after GO was moved there, at least at rush hour (YT vid screen grab):

407.png

Another anecdotal observation on ridership: Sheppard West seems quite busy throughout the day. Ridership seems higher than five years ago when I first started using that station regularly. Plenty of people transferring to and from the buses.

That's actually surprising, considering that bus routes were moved after the extension opened, and that Sheppard Ave. doesn't go very far and that there isn't much on it west of the station compared to Wilson or Finch.

That's actually surprising, considering that bus routes were moved after the extension opened, and that Sheppard Ave. doesn't go very far and that there isn't much on it west of the station compared to Wilson or Finch.

Aside from the discontinued York University Express route, bus connections at Sheppard West station haven’t actually changed much since the extension opened.

That seems pretty fast for Google. We mentioned above that they didn't have the Path subway in Manhattan and New Jersey either - and they seem to have added that too recently - that only took 111 years!

Still missing is the London Overland lines that TFL added in May 2015 - so that's 4 years now. And the 2015 TFL Rail line (to be renamed Elizabeth Line when the Crossrail tunnels finally open). And many other systems such as the 120-year old Glasgow Subway, the Ottawa Trillium Line that opened in 2001,

The oddest inconsistency I've seen is that they've had the DLR in London for years, but haven't yet added in the Canning Town to Stratford International branch that opened in 2011! Though it's always seemed odd that Seoul is their only as a graphics layer, rather than the vector-based stuff most cities have - and also seems years out-of-date.

This is all irrelevant and I didn’t bother to read it detail after a) you again decided to be contrarian as is your perverse need and b) after reading your typo of 111 years which I’m sure you meant to be 11.

11 years is too long, 4 years is too long, 17 months is too long.

Aside from the discontinued York University Express route, bus connections at Sheppard West station haven’t actually changed much since the extension opened.

Moreover, the York U express has been replaced with the 984 Sheppard express, which goes as far as Weston Rd. Though not as frequent as the former 196, this new route is well used, and the transit ridership along Sheppard West has probably increased quite a bit.

Oops, misspoke, that's the building I am referring to. It seemed to be a couple blocks west of the station box from where I exited to go outside.

Mississauga City Centre which grew up around the mall, begs to differ. If anything, amalgamation is what killed the potential for Scarborough Centre growth because industry and commerce shifted back to Downtown Toronto with its better rapid transit and highway grid already in place to support and further absorb new growth.

Mississaugas downtown is hardly an employment downdown. In terms of jobs it is the #5 zone in Mississauga, airport, medowvale, heartland, the Oakville/Mississauga QEW zone are all larger and higher paying employment zones vs Square one. Real downtown's are the biggest zone for employment, that is far from the case in Mississauga.

... after reading your typo of 111 years which I’m sure you meant to be 11.

What typo? The PATH subway in Manhattan and New Jersey opened starting in 1908 ... 111 years ago. And got added only weeks ago. The London DRL extension in 2011 still hasn't been added.

That seems pretty fast for Google. We mentioned above that they didn't have the Path subway in Manhattan and New Jersey either - and they seem to have added that too recently - that only took 111 years!

Still missing is the London Overland lines that TFL added in May 2015 - so that's 4 years now. And the 2015 TFL Rail line (to be renamed Elizabeth Line when the Crossrail tunnels finally open). And many other systems such as the 120-year old Glasgow Subway, the Ottawa Trillium Line that opened in 2001,

The oddest inconsistency I've seen is that they've had the DLR in London for years, but haven't yet added in the Canning Town to Stratford International branch that opened in 2011! Though it's always seemed odd that Seoul is their only as a graphics layer, rather than the vector-based stuff most cities have - and also seems years out-of-date.
OpenStreetMaps is often years, even decades, ahead of Google when it comes to updating maps.

Yet, those who update OpenStreetMaps are paid absolutely nothing, while Google pays GIS technicians in charge of updating maps at least twice that of the average American.

VMC station has become part of my daily commute for the past 2 months or so and I am struck by a few things.
1. The amount of movement around the station at virtually any time of the day. I've been there in the am peak, pm peak, evening shoulder period and late evening and find that there are always people coming and going from the station. Obviously event nights (concerts, shows, sports) will be busier, however I've also seen people taking the subway into Toronto dressed for night out.
2. The amount of transfers from local transit. I expected lots of kiss and rides, and I expected the commuter parking lots to be full. However I did not expect to see the number of people transferring from local YRT routes considering the $3.75 YRT fare and no fare integration. YRT routes 10, 20, and 26 appear to drop at least 15 to 20 people each at the station (and IMHO is something that could be improved if service were improved from the paltry frequencies of 15 - 30 mins, 40 mins for rt 26, and with fare integration). I do not pass the VIVA station so cannot comment on that.
3. The amount of counterflow passengers at the station. In the morning you will see people walking from the station to the light industrial businesses north of the station and to other offices nearby. And then taking the subway back into to the city in the evening.

So I won't say it's a rousing success, but I do think it is doing better than I expected and as a terminal station it is busier than what I would expect to see at another terminal station in the system that does not have a significant number of bus connections.

YRT monthly passes are actually around the same price as a TTC metropass despite the cash fare being far higher.

It's still cheaper to take YRT to the subway than it is to take GO, so it makes a bit of sense.

We'll get a better idea of ridership levels in the near future, but how many people who take the extension can safely say that the ridership of:
VMC is over 14K PPD
HWY 407 is over 3K PPD
PV is over 17K PPD
YU is over 30K PPD
FW is over 17K PPD
DVP is over 2K PPD?

If any say yes to any of these numbers, then I'll say this line is a huge success, because it means that ridership is still growing, despite being fairly strong initially, despite GO's continuous improvements to the Barrie line, and despite fare integration all along the line. While some may criticize HWY 407 and DVP for having really bad ridership, they are present for a future use. When I think of Downsview Park and it's comparison to the GO station ridership, 2K PPD is really good for most go stations, but terrible for TTC stations. Maybe they overbuilt the station for what it was planning on seeing, but we won't know until RER is up and running, if ever.

These numbers also point towards the huge need for fare integration, it shows that there is an extreme potential for this line to be really busy, since commuters are already choosing the subway over GO or driving despite the insanely high YRT/TTC fares, and the need for GO passengers to use the TTC now.

Plus DVP should grow substantially in the future when the airport is redeveloped. EDIT: Same goes for VMC. Finch West will grow when the LRT comes.

Highway 407 is going to be significantly over 3,000/day now that the GO buses have moved. i bet York U is going to be less busy though.

The VMC number is likely going to just slowly move upward over the next few years as development accelerates there.

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-sto...pend-more-time-commuting-with-ttc-in-vaughan/

I somewhat don't understand the complaints with YRT service to York University.It's only a 15 minute walk between the Pioneer Village YRT Terminal and York University subway station. Realistically, a typical York student would only need to walk for 10 minutes to be able to reach the northernmost buildings on campus (from there you can use the underground tunnels) and it's not as if you would need to cross a highway to get onto campus.

Realistically, a typical York student would only need to walk for 10 minutes to be able to reach the northernmost buildings on campus
10? It's about a 250-metre straight walk south from the southern entrance to Pioneer Village station to the Life Sciences building. About 400 metres to the Campus Walk. Is there a fence in they way? yeah, they might have to walk 200-metres through the subway station first ... but closer to 5 minutes than 10!

The walking distance from Pioneer Village station actually looks slightly shorter to the Ross Building than it does from the York University station!

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir//43.....5075989,194m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2?hl=en

Back