News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 342     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 907     1 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here is the $1M question: Is this site going to sit as a parking lot before construction begins, and if so for how long?

So here is the $1M question: Is this site going to sit as a parking lot before construction begins, and if so for how long?

My guess: probably not. Its to the builder's advantage to build this thing as quickly as possible, in order to get its money and profit. No building, no money. Its all being held in trust and they have to pay interest on any financing, and taxes on the property.

I guess it will depend on the number of abatements as actual demolition should take no time and whether the city's decision gets appealed to the OMB or not.

Not to mention the city will probably deny any application to operate the site as a non-accessory surface parking lot -- and an application would take as long as it will take for final decisions and approvals to be in place for construction to start.

^y'think?

In my experience, it is pretty damn easy to get premission to operate a temporary parking lot

There is no way the city will allow a parking lot at the corner of Yonge and Bloor.

(also I don't think that's what the developer has in mind for the site anyways)

slightly revised ad in the latest Condo Guide (March 3-17) states "demolition starting soon".....nice to read it! :)

What I am wondering is whether the design review process has/will produce(d) any changes. Not that I didn't like it as was, but hey, could always be improved.

Take a look at the Bloor St Transformation Project Newsletter.

http://www.bloor-yorkville.com/imgs/February2008.pdf

Unless I missed it, it's strange there's no mention of 1 Bloor at all in here. A major chunk of sidewalk and street is about to become a demolition/construction site complete with dirt, dust and muck spread across Bloor and Yonge Streets via dump trucks tires etc...

I would think that would warrant a mention as they try to "transform" Bloor Street over the next year.

As well, I imagine that there will soon be no sidewalk access for pedestrians on all sides surrounding the 1 Bloor site...

I would expect excavation and relocation of services to begin fairly quickly after demolition. Time is money, and they won't wait for the city's final decision. Much work can be done before reaching a point where that would have any effect.

I had no camera, but I must tell you from my observation this afternoon: Roy Square is one heck of a surreal stage set now. Those of you with cameras and flickr accounts, go down there ASAP and shoot away, before it gets demolished...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back