Toronto Murano | ?m | 45s | Lanterra | a—A

I don't understand the criticism of the glass.

I think what people in this forum have in mind when they have criticised the glazing is that when compared to the rendering where the vertical mullions seem to be almost not visible (butt-joint Curtain Wall system-similar to the RBC Centre on Simcoe St.) the actual glazing being used is the so called "Window Wall" system which is what's used on pretty much every residential highrise in this city. It is worth pointing out that Curtain Wall systems are much more expensive that Window Wall systems, hence office and commercial buildings use it and not residential. By the way, butt-joint Curtain Wall system uses a type of structural silicone joint instead of the exterior aluminum cap frame. That is the reason why it looks smoother.
In any case, "computer graphics enhancements" are often used in architectural 3D models images.

My only issue with the mullions is that instead of using large expanses of glass, they went with more horizontal divisions that pictured on renderings. If this wall had used a large pane of glass with a couple mullions near the top and bottom of the floors, like on spire, it could have looked better.

While I admit it looks fine, it could be better.

It's early, but I like the glass so far, I like the slender profiles of the buildings and the base is very promising.

Feb 22 -08

The north and south towers are making great progress

PICT1299.jpg

PICT1296.jpg

Thanks dt_toronto_geek! - Great pics.

Looking better and better as more of the curtainwall gets installed and the mullions appear more integrated into the glass patterning.
It's also a great, sleek break between the heavy, pinkish Police Station and southernmost tower of Opera Place.

Thanks dt_toronto_geek! - Great pics.

Looking better and better as more of the curtainwall gets installed and the mullions appear more integrated into the glass patterning.
It's also a great, sleek break between the heavy, pinkish Police Station and southernmost tower of Opera Place.

I agree that this is starting to look great...but curtainwall that is not. Almost no new buildings in TO are curtainwall. Too expensive for us.....

I agree that this is starting to look great...but curtainwall that is not. Almost no new buildings in TO are curtainwall. Too expensive for us.....

The portion on bay is a curtainwall, just not the sides with balconies actually. A curtainwall just means a building façade which does not carry any dead load from the building other than its own dead load.

Update from today:

20080223Murano001.jpg

From Grosvenor, looking west.

20080223Murano002.jpg

Close up of east facade.

20080223Murano003.jpg

Removal of a certain crane component.

20080223Murano004.jpg

Closeup of said component.

20080223Murano005.jpg

West facade.

20080223Murano006.jpg

Don't say aA renderings aren't accurate...sometimes.

20080223Murano007.jpg

Podium.

20080223Murano008.jpg

South tower.

AoD

Back