News   Apr 23, 2024
 393     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 367     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 610     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlike the Spacing and NOW crowd, I overlooked Scotiabank's branding during Nuit Blanche, conceding that I'd much rather have a "Scotiabank Nuit Blanche" than no Nuit Blanche, at all.

We need more corporate cultural philantropy in this city, so I am glad that Scotiabank has stepped up to the plate.

it is really stupid for the city to fund every festival and such.

agreed lordmandeep. The city doesnt need to sponsor everything in Toronto. Good to see companies jumping on board and giving back to the communities that support them.

really I rather see more corporate logos then the city spending more money on things that really not part of municipal responsibility.

Ideally the city should fund all of this stuff, but it has a lot of trouble ahead with roads, police, transit and infrastructure in general to be sponsoring everything.

A report to the City of Toronto Government Management Committee recommends the city sell the public lane adjoining 709 and 711 Yonge Street to One Bloor Street East Limited for $1,170,000.

What do you think they are hoping for by acquiring this? I take it these are adjoining to the site?

DaninToronto: This lane will represent (I think) the last part of the land assembly for 1 Bloor East. Bazis recently purchased 709-711 Yonge Street, at the northeast corner of Hayden, and already had the land to the east, along the north side of Hayden. This lane separates them and will be needed to complete the project.

Thanks for the good news Darkstar!

I was wondering what was happening to that group. It's a shame we don't support our history in this city.

as posted by Taller, Better over at SSC, 'here today, gone tomorrow!!'...

IMGP3628.jpg

IMGP3629.jpg

Scotiabank seems to be the cultural underwriter these days.

TD Bank Financial Group is the main sponsor for the Jazz Fesitval, Pride Toronto, Toronto Reads and countless art auctions and other fundraising activities that benefit the city and the local cultural scene.

The other night I was having drinks at Cafe Volo, a few blocks down Yonge. The building opposite is a non-descript run-down two-storey brick jobby with a dollar store and copy shop in the base; not the kind of thing you'd necessarily miss. But through the second-storey windows, I kept getting flashes of leotard-clad dancers rehearsing some routine.

It just reminded me that the upper floors of the ugliest buildings harbour beautiful uses, and nobody ever knows.

Congratulations, SNF! You get a star!
j_jacobs..jpg

(NB: that's not meant to be sarcastic or condescending.)

Anything new other than demolition?

I see the entire building is boarded up ready for demolition from what I hear at the end of February.
Has there been any news about whether there have been further sales and how much of the building has been sold? Last I heard 2 months ago it was 85% sold. I would think that those who would wanted to buy would have bought by now. Has the prices gone up since?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back