News   May 01, 2024
 216     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 801     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 433     0 

Lost Toronto

Today's Trinity College does have additions which fit in to add to its grandeur.

On another note, the Consumer's Gas Building is a fine 19th century building that was saved:

Finding these buildings and knowing their names, significance and perhaps some history is just as important as lamenting all these unfortunate loses.

Finding these buildings and knowing their names, significance and perhaps some history is just as important as lamenting all these unfortunate loses.

Maybe we should be updating the wikimapia with all this stuff? Or should we be talking about creating our own googlemaps/wiki mash-up all about Toronto's architectural history?

Maybe we should be updating the wikimapia with all this stuff? Or should we be talking about creating our own googlemaps/wiki mash-up all about Toronto's architectural history?

I never used wikimapia, but having just tried it out, I think it's a great idea to update it. Being aware that they're out there, knowing the styles is a lot by itself when so many people are downright ignorant of what their own city has to offer.

I think the historical information would drown in the see of McDonald's, Pho 88s, etc. Wikimapia would work if you knew the location you wanted to look at, but informational clutter might make it hard to browse. A dedicated "historimapia" might avoid that.

Here's another some more "lost Toronto":

It's not just about the public washroom at Toronto and Adelaide, seen in this photograph from 1912. Note the attention to detail on the street light and the fencing.

I imagine that some of those utility poles are still in use today. ;)

Only thing left standing in that picture is the building on the far right with the stairs leading to the basement shop. I wonder if they filled in the bathroom or if there's a chamber still under there.

The "attention to detail" in the streetlight and fencing is actually the result of mass-produced cast-iron from a mould, incorporating a fashion for the ornate, rather than uniquely hand-forged wrought-iron.

There are some nice examples of contemporary wrought iron around town that aren't mass produced - inside First Canadian Place, at the Sculpture Garden on King, at the church near the ROM, and at the Music Garden for instance.

Mass-produced or not, it looks great... cute and charming. Funnily enough, the ugliest thing in that photo is the thing we chose to keep... the hydro poles.

I rather like the wooden pole. Somehow it portends changing times and the coming age. In a pre-First World War streetscape festooned with ornamental pippypoos and doodads that are leftovers - even then - from an earlier time, and interchangeable with those found in most North American or European cities of the day, the plain wooden pole is the only thing that feels like it looks forward in time. Electricity is in the air! The Modern age is almost upon us!

Back