Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

Sorry folks, I didn't have time last night to grab some pictures of the new lounge/gates. Maybe Friday I'll be able to.

As for noise... I also live on the water and rarely have I heard a porter flight. However, I do hear the streetcar rumble by every 5 minutes. There is the odd time when you can hear the planes taxiing, but I can count on my hand the number of days this has happened (wind aided). If you do hear planes go by, it's typically Cessnas, as they seem to be much louder from my experience. Also, Porter isn't allowed to fly/land at the airport between 11pm and 6:30 (+/-15 mins). So all flights occur during normal hours. Obviously, 7am is early to some people, but for a business it's reasonable.

045b7bb0414ab6b7ebf7e73bd632.jpeg
ANDREW WALLACE/TORONTO STAR
Porter Airlines CEO Robert Deluce, left, and chair Don Carty envision growth, in this 2007 file photo.

Porter ready for NYC takeoff
Jan 31, 2008 03:42 PM
Chris Sorensen
Business Reporter

Robert Deluce's Porter Airlines is finally ready to try and take a bite of the Big Apple with daily flights between Toronto and New York City this spring.
The upstart airline said Thursday that, beginning March 31, it will offer seven roundtrip flights from Toronto's City Centre Airport to Newark Liberty International Airport on weekdays, two round-trips on Saturdays and three on Sundays.
Tickets are to go on sale Friday and will be from $120 each way plus fees and taxes, Porter said.
With a business model predicated on the convenience of its downtown airfield, Porter is hoping to appeal to a mix of business and leisure travellers who want to avoid traffic and line-ups at Toronto's Pearson International Airport.
"TCCA offers passengers a time savings of up to two hours or more compared to flying out of busy, congested Pearson Airport," Deluce said in a statement.
The airline currently offers daily service from Toronto to Ottawa and Montreal, as well as service to Halifax and seasonal flights to Mt. Tremblant in Quebec. Porter's business plan ultimately calls for the addition of more U.S. destinations, including Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia and Washington.
Earlier this week the airline announced that it had completed a terminal expansion project at the island that added more aircraft gates and tripled the size of its passenger lounge.
Porter said it took delivery of two more Bombardier Q-400 turboprops today, bringing its total fleet to six aircraft. Porter said it expects to add another four of the 70-seat planes by the end of the year.
While Deluce has long identified New York as an attractive destination for Porter and its swank take on air travel, it took him longer than expected to launch the service thanks in part to strenuous objections to U.S. regulators by Air Canada on behalf of its regional carrier Jazz.
Jazz was kicked out of the Toronto island airport by one of Mr. Deluce's companies two years ago and is still waging a legal battle to restart the service.
Air Canada had argued in its U.S. filings that the airport's operator, the Toronto Port Authority, had signed a sweetheart deal with Porter that limited the number of takeoff and landing slots available to competitors. The country's largest airline claimed the agreement violated the spirit of the Canada-U.S. "open skies" agreement and hindered competition.
But while U.S. regulators ultimately sided with Porter, the battle to take New York City is likely just beginning.
Deluce will be piloting the airline into a busy and fiercely competitive market that wreaks havoc with airline schedules because of severe congestion and weather-related delays.
Calgary-based WestJet Airlines Ltd., for example, was forced to pull out of the New York's LaGuardia airport two years ago citing an inability to get access to airport gates.
Air Canada, meanwhile, is already an established player on the route, offering an average of 17 round-trip flights a day between Pearson and New York-area airports, including Newark and LaGuardia, on the opposite side of the East River from Manhattan.

I hope Porter kicks ass on this route. I would love to see AirCanada get a taste of it's own medicine with this so-called "sweetheart" deal that they're currently bitching about.

how much would be it after fees and taxes? im guessing it would be less because you're flying out of TIA and not pearson.

You're looking at around 300 round trip after taxes. It might be slightly more, but not much. Tickets should be available soon though.

It'll be interesting because apparently Air Canada is going to have a huge sale/promotion for their NY service between February and April.

Flights to Newark are now on sale at 99 bucks each way...

Here's some pics of the new lounge as well. The First is of the new gates, and the second of the expanded lounge.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 314
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 288
this is what i got for a round trip.

Firm (YTZ - EWR)

1 Adult @ 105.00$105.00
Special services $0.00
Taxes/Fees $57.01

Firm (EWR - YTZ)

1 Adult @ 95.00$95.00
Special services $0.00
Taxes/Fees $27.38

Service Fees $0.00
Change Fees(w/Tax)$0.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Price$284.39

Hmmm. $284.39 isn't a huge bargain, but it's competitive, particularly with the attractive proximity of the Island Airport (which I used, once). EWR isn't bad either for getting to NYC, even with the head tax you pay for the convenience of taking the short AirTrain ride to the NJ Transit/Amtrak station.

I loved the $49 OW WestJet flights to LGA. Between that and the great rates at Hotel 31, it allowed my bro and I to spurge on Broadway and Peter Luger's back in 2005.

I think $285 is a really good deal for NYC. It'll be tough to beat and I'm sure it won't be available at Porter for much longer either.

that's the price. It's no different than Montreal and Ottawa where the cost of the flights haven't changed since their start up. (or have changed minimally by $10 or so). If anything prices will drop at AC because of this.

Flights to Newark are now on sale at 99 bucks each way...

Here's some pics of the new lounge as well. The First is of the new gates, and the second of the expanded lounge.

Thank You for posting those, I have been away from Toronto for a few years and have not seen the renovated terminal yet.

And work has started on a new terminal.

The two new planes (as in the ones that were just received and will be used for NY) are pretty nice. It's like that new car smell only with 70 seats.

Back