News   May 03, 2024
 618     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 402     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 215     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I don't think that was a tedious post. The argument that states that a building should be more than just functional, is an important one.

I don't think that was a tedious post. The argument that states that a building should be more than just functional, is an important one.

Thank you.

@Archivist:
It was not my intention to sound aggressive when I said "Remember that." I know it was a sentence fragment but it was appropriate considering the context of the previous sentence. In any case, my point was that aesthetics was, is and will always be a component of a truly succesful urban environment. (ie. Paris).
I don't think, considering our track record, we can continue to afford missing opportunity after opportunity.

I can't imagine that the costs are so great for LCD technology ...

For an 'LCD' the size of a billboard, the cost would be pretty huge...I wouldn't want a piece of glass that big hanging in public anyway.

Maybe you meant LED....

Thank you.

@Archivist:
It was not my intention to sound aggressive when I said "Remember that." I know it was a sentence fragment but it was appropriate considering the context of the previous sentence. In any case, my point was that aesthetics was, is and will always be a component of a truly succesful urban environment. (ie. Paris).
I don't think, considering our track record, we can continue to afford missing opportunity after opportunity.

Like I said previously, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm just saying in this part of town cheap and guady wins out. Toronto is doing some good things in the building department. However in my opinion this (Y-D Square) is not the place for world beating design. -

Paris is an awesome city, but I don't think anyone on this forum sees a day when Toronto or this corner of Yonge Street will resemble anything in Paris in our lifetimes.

Like I said previously, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm just saying in this part of town cheap and guady wins out. Toronto is doing some good things in the building department. However in my opinion this (Y-D Square) is not the place for world beating design. -

Paris is an awesome city, but I don't think anyone on this forum sees a day when Toronto or this corner of Yonge Street will resemble anything in Paris in our lifetimes.

Lets take a poll, what does cheap mean (quantitative measure) to the 'experts' out there...given the building is about 350,000 sq. ft. how much p.s.f.?

Pfloyd, for a first post, you're pretty aggressive. Try making complete sentences next time, try not asking us to "remember that", and maybe hang out a bit so you don't make tedious posts that have been discussed to death.
He's 100% correct, and we would all do well to "remember that" -- especially fans of projects like this.

...and we owe that to generations of complacency with respect to subpar design.

Well said, in general this is what frustrates me.
Toronto is in the middle (or maybe towards the end) of a building boom and I think we'll look back and regret so many missed opportunities and "cheapenings" around the city.

I agree, but forget trying to convince the other 95% of this city's population, that things like good design, quality and aesthetics in architecture/urban planning are both necessary and important.

p5

I'm also wondering what Pfloyd is referring to by Parisian standards--is he suggesting that we take a heavy INTBAU-traditionalist urban angle? In which case, would something like Alsop's OCAD table top be part of the problem, or part of the solution?

I've said it before, I'll say it again,

OH NO, WE'RE NOT PARIS! :eek:

God, thanks to all of you for pointing that out.

Archivist:...but then again, why couldn't we have been? We had a blank slate in many regards, and look what we've done with it. I'm not suggesting chestnut tree-lined avenues and second empire architecture, but I'm talking about a core value system that believes in the "city beautiful", rather than just talking about it as some alien, unattainable fantasy. Toronto is pragmatic and utilitarian, we are the city equivalent of 'sensible shoes'. This is our choice, however. We can be something else, and well I want Minolos dammit!!

Archivist:...but then again, why couldn't we have been? We had a blank slate in many regards, and look what we've done with it. I'm not suggesting chestnut tree-lined avenues and second empire architecture, but I'm talking about a core value system that believes in the "city beautiful", rather than just talking about it as some alien, unattainable fantasy. Toronto is pragmatic and utilitarian, we are the city equivalent of 'sensible shoes'. This is our choice, however. We can be something else, and well I want Minolos dammit!!

"Toronto the utilitarian" ...I like it. Maybe the city can use it in their next tourism and marketing campaign.

I'm also wondering what Pfloyd is referring to by Parisian standards--is he suggesting that we take a heavy INTBAU-traditionalist urban angle? In which case, would something like Alsop's OCAD table top be part of the problem, or part of the solution?

I am definitely not proposing a traditional urban environment. Far from it; I am into contemporary design, ie. Herzog + De Meuron, Rem Koolhaus, Richard Rogers, Renzo Piano, Zaha Hadid, Coop Himmelblau, etc, etc.
I love what the Dutch and the Danes are doing with great contemporary architecture at the Rotterdam and Copenhagen waterfronts, respectively. I should have mentioned that instead of Paris. I am just referring to high design standards in urban environments. That's all.

I am all for high quality architecture and design, but in this (and many) cases, the state will have to intervene in what are ultimately business decisions, and I am not sure if the sector is willing to stomach that. Like honestly, if the City of Toronto proposed some sort of Corus-like mechanism for the site (which even then doesn't guarantee goodness), critics would be all up in arms about how the city shouldn't have a role in the matter. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...

AoD

Back