News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 480     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

University Metropass?

It's way too expensive, but the idea is very sound. I lived in residence for a year, and pretty much all of us never ventured out of the immediate campus area because for some reason it seems like the end of the world to spend a token. They're right -- this is a passport to the rest of the city. At this price, though, it's a real cash grab.

It's way too expensive, but the idea is very sound. I lived in residence for a year, and pretty much all of us never ventured out of the immediate campus area because for some reason it seems like the end of the world to spend a token. They're right -- this is a passport to the rest of the city. At this price, though, it's a real cash grab.

What price would you suggest?

not a substantial savings over the present scheme.

Are you crazy? At $100/month currently ($97 to be exact), $60 will be a huge saving. Over 8 months it would save students $320. Thats substantial... especially to the people who will be getting the deal... students.

Okay, so...

Waterloo U-Pass = $100
Mississauga U-Pass = $89
Toronto U-Pass = $480!!!

IMO, even students who use transit should not support this. The TTC can do much better.

Okay, so...

Waterloo U-Pass = $100
Mississauga U-Pass = $89
Toronto U-Pass = $480!!!

IMO, even students who use transit should not support this. The TTC can do much better.

I think a fair comparison would be to Vancouver, because I don't think you can compare Mississauga Transit or Grand River Transit to the TTC.

In vancouver, it's... $60 a month.

Okay, so...

Waterloo U-Pass = $100
Mississauga U-Pass = $89
Toronto U-Pass = $480!!!

The amount of students who use the TTC to get to and from school cant be compared to the amount of UTM or UW students using transit. The TTC would be losing WAY too much if it went any lower. Lets not forget there are 3 universities in Toronto, 4 if you want to count UofT Scarborough. The Colleges would likely follow suit and also want the same deal... add another 3 or so. It will never happen unless the government decides to subsidize.

Any student who uses transit and doesn't support this is an idiot, plain and simple. $60 vs. $97???

By the way... McGuinty promised a $300 grant for all post secondary students in the last election to help with school related costs. It would mean only paying $180/year for the metropass then!

Yes, any student who uses transit would support this (or even smaller savings) unless: they really care about kids who can afford to live downtown or drive, or they don't want to accept a first offer and figure this is just a jumping off point to start negotiations. But even for students that live downtown or drive, such a pass may stimulate them to take transit a lot more.

Yes, any student who uses transit would support this (or even smaller savings) unless: they really care about kids who can afford to live downtown or drive, or they don't want to accept a first offer and figure this is just a jumping off point to start negotiations. But even for students that live downtown or drive, such a pass may stimulate them to take transit a lot more.

Negotiations have been going on for years now. Its about time we finally get something. No one is saving at this pace and its getting annoying.

Interesting. Given that Waterloo's UPass that just passed in referendum this past February is for about $100/8 month academic year.
I went to UW. Off-hand I can't think of ANY of my classmates who used transit on a daily basis. Everyone lived within walking distance, and the rest drove. I'm sure some took transit, but it was more local kids - (the program I was in, virtually everyone was from out of town). On the other hand, I know a lot of UT students who take transit every day.

The TTC scheme for UT is supposed to be revenue neutral. GRT's scheme for UW was actually revenue positive; i.e. it increased revenue; part of the package deal was that the increased revenue is used for a package of service increases and new routes in Waterloo.

It's all apples and oranges. UT effectively has 5 subway stations, 2 subway lines, and 2 streetcar lines going through it - and even a bus or two (6 if you count Bay, which may be closer to a couple of buildings).

But at the same time, what is good for the goose, is good for the gander. I dare David Miller to put a proposal for a referendum to provide monthly passes to all Torontonians for mandatory property tax increase. :)

I wish this had existed when I was at U of T. When you pay for transit each month it's harder to deal with, if it's integrated with your tuition, it feels like it's free. Parents pay tuition. Students pay for transit.

McMaster's pass is $67.50. Not for the month... for the year!
While overall Hamilton has a much smaller transit network, the University is exceptionally well served by bus and express bus routes. It's a real bargain. The regular monthly pass in Hamilton is $65.

A lot of students at UTM use transit, don't say that they don't. Over 50% apparently. And if a U-Pass can pass referendum in the first place then obviously a lot of students use transit.

Whatever the difference, it is not enough that the Toronto U-Pass costs over 5 times more. Yes, Vancouver's U-Pass seemingly costs the same, but Vancouver's transit system is regional and the regular fares are much more expensive in the first place, so their U-Pass is actually a much better bargain.

My point was more that GRT offered students a savings of 78% or so, while the TTC seems to be offering a mere 38% discount. I'm not as familiar with UT's demographics, but if GRT offered that, I doubt the referendum here would have passed.

Back