News   May 30, 2024
 20     0 
News   May 29, 2024
 1.2K     6 
News   May 29, 2024
 2.6K     7 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Should be interesting to hear what happens at the community consultation meeting tonight.

I took the survey. (Can't make the meeting). They are proposing center of median, at grade crossings at all major intersections. Would love to hear the data behind that.

My response to the survey was along the lines of - in that case, you are proposing a street car, not an LRT.

- Paul

I took the survey. (Can't make the meeting). They are proposing center of median, at grade crossings at all major intersections. Would love to hear the data behind that.

My response to the survey was along the lines of - in that case, you are proposing a street car, not an LRT.

- Paul

I took the same survey. Not saying you’re incorrect, but I don’t know how you came to that conclusion from the survey.

Anyways we’ll know for sure in a few hours

I thought this was a bit interesting - the highway improvements between Eglinton and 27.
  1. Why is a ramp needed for 401 EBL to 27 SBL. There are already ramps from 401 EBL (and 427 SBL) to 427 SBL. The only (partial) exit that is not accessible is Eringate Drive. I don't see a need for this.
  2. The loop ramp for 401 EBL to 27 NBL may be useful.
  3. The Eglinton EB to 401 WB turn lane also does not seem that needed since Renforth and be used for 401 WB. Maybe its for 27 NB?
  4. Its strange that Eglinton Ave. West is shown as 1 way EB. The last time I looked, it was WB as well.
  5. Current-issues.jpg

Last edited:
I was imagining the LRT going over Martin Grove, over Mimico Creek, Over Eglinton West and then under the 427 ramps (WB under the end spans, and EB in place of the north sidewalk).
The 427 NB to Eglinton ramps would be switched and reconfigured, mostly to move the ramp to Eglinton WB (and to East Mall) farther East (along with East Mall re-alignment) so that the LRT can go over it, but under 427.
Eg.jpg

Attachments

• Eg.jpg
    Eg.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 157
To compare this line to a Montreal subway line would carry more weight if the whole line were off the road.

So you prefer a 10km underground route with a transfer to a bus for the other 9km section?

If you like, think of it as a 10km high-frequency subway interlined with a lower frequency 19km streetcar.

Last edited:
Surprised that they mention the reliability of service as one of the factors in the beginning of this survey, and then appear not to include the reliability at all in their evaluation parameters.

Regarding the Martin Grove/Eglinton intersection, they said there was a major problem with a below grade station. The Enbridge pipeline is right underneath (substation at SW corner). It would cost a lot to relocate that. If they did a below grade configuration, they'll have side platforms meaning some people will still have to cross the roadway. A two level (concourse + platform) is too steep for the LRT to return to the surface to dodge Mimico Creek and be level at Widdicombe Blvd. So it's back to the 2010 EA configuration with the low usage stop removed. This time they are doing a LRT first approach, finalize the preferred concept and will determine traffic movements later on.

I can understand that some intersections are harder to grade-separate than others. It is perfectly reasonable to exclude those hard to do from the list. And, perhaps look for alternative solutions to redirect the interfering traffic in such cases (Martin Grove?).

However, refusing to do any grade-separated intersections in this particular corridor is a bad idea. At the very least, they should do Jane, Scarlett, Islington, if the light rail tracks can be elevated there and no tunneling is required.

Regarding the Martin Grove/Eglinton intersection, they said there was a major problem with a below grade station. The Enbridge pipeline is right underneath (substation at SW corner). It would cost a lot to relocate that. If they did a below grade configuration, they'll have side platforms meaning some people will still have to cross the roadway. A two level (concourse + platform) is too steep for the LRT to return to the surface to dodge Mimico Creek and be level at Widdicombe Blvd. So it's back to the 2010 EA configuration with the low usage stop removed. This time they are doing a LRT first approach, finalize the preferred concept and will determine traffic movements later on.
It sound like a similar strategy to Eglinton from Brentcliffe to Kennedy.
There is a requirement that it must be on street for at least 1 portion. Never look to see if a marginal cost to fully grade-separate is worthwhile.

They need to remove the mid-block stops and just have the LRT stop at the major cross streets with bus connections.

Exactly. And are people forgetting the volume of space these stops would occupy if they were to be built as grade-separated stations? They'd be 100 metres across and with placement of escalators/mezzanines at the ends could even exceed those platform lengths. Strategically positioned stops at the near- or far-sides of the intersections in question could cut down a lot of the distance between the major stops and the midblocks. Bemersyde/Wincott is a prime example of this. The Kipling stop could be positioned on the near side, hence it'd only a few hundred metres away from Wincott. If only we'd strive for better, we can get better.

I thought this was a bit interesting - the highway improvements between Eglinton and 27.
  1. Why is a ramp needed for 401 EBL to 27 SBL. There are already ramps from 401 EBL (and 427 SBL) to 427 SBL. The only (partial) exit that is not accessible is Eringate Drive. I don't see a need for this.
  2. The loop ramp for 401 EBL to 27 NBL may be useful.
  3. The Eglinton EB to 401 WB turn lane also does not seem that needed since Renforth and be used for 401 WB. Maybe its for 27 NB?
  4. Its strange that Eglinton Ave. West is shown as 1 way EB. The last time I looked, it was WB as well.
  5. Current-issues.jpg
Just looking at the roadway ramps a bit.
The 401 EBL to 27 SBL cannot be done due to the loop ramp for 27 SBL to Eg. EBL - seems like a really dumb idea.
The 401 EBL to 27 NBL would create a serious cloverleaf style weaving situation, confliction with those coming from the 27 SBL to Eg. EBL loop ramp - Doesn't seem like a good idea. If the expected use is very small, then not needed. If use is high, it won't work due to weaving. There is a small range in which it might work.
The Eg. EBL to 401 WBL, and access to 27 NBL, is likely the most feasible.
Can the 401 EBL to 27 NBL be achieved with a U-turn just before the Eglinton-Eglinton intersection. My guess is that the road is wide enough. Also, it looks like it may already be done by some.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6740256,-79.5685737,58m/data=!3m1!1e3

I can confirm that they are indeed proposing at-grade crossings and stops for all of the intersections along the Crosstown West extension. I cant find any details of the display boards right now but make no mistake about it, they are proposing similar intersections to what we currently see on St.Clair and Queensway ROW.

If I happen to come across any of the materials presented tonight i'll be sure to update.

Back