Toronto Ontario Line 3 | ?m | ?s

I heard today from someone at a company that will bid on the project that they are expecting an RFP to drop anytime now for the Osgoode to Pape section of the line.

Wow! That nice to hear. But, can the RFP be issued before the funding is committed?

Or, did they somehow manage to get the funding from the federal infrastructure fund?

I was surprised but that's what he said. I can't clarify any further so could be an unfounded rumour. But he's well placed and knows his stuff usually.

Wow! That nice to hear. But, can the RFP be issued before the funding is committed?

Yes they can in the same way you can list a house for sale and not have any intention of moving. Simply don't accept any of the offers.

It's rare because bidders may not take it seriously resulting in less aggressive bids; it costs millions to assemble a bid on a project like that.

That said, it's also possible to announce funding and the RFP on the same day. Having tenders in hand but not yet at financial close is one way of getting the public to provide a mandate.

That said, it's also possible to announce funding and the RFP on the same day. Having tenders in hand but not yet at financial close is one way of getting the public to provide a mandate.

It just occurred to me that the RFP may come before financing as a result of the Amazon HQ proposal deadline which is October 19th. They can show actual movement on the HQ proposal during the evaluation phase without needing to commit to following through on it if not selected.

The timing, conveniently, doesn't hurt Tory/Wynne election chances.

I'm very much expecting this to be one of the major election promises from the Wynne team. And Richmond Hill as well.

Guys we live in a world where an RFQ is issued first, which could take up to a year before an actual RFP is issued.
Don't they need to at least start a TPAP in order to issue an RFQ?

Remind me the purpose of a TPAP, please?

Do you want the official answer or what it really is?

Officially, of course, it's a way of allowing the public to provide feedback on transit projects without invoking a full EA (because that's far too much public feedback, most of which is nonsense).

The reality is it's a mechanism for ensuring other government departments (including other levels of government) are aware of what's going on and can prepare or complain accordingly. It's the equivalent of an all-hands meeting with a tiny bit of public transparency thrown in for good measure. It occurs while detailed engineering is underway. The public transparency component exists to ensure an Aboriginal community will not block the project (seriously, "people to consult" and "documentation requirements" section lists "Aboriginal communities" nearly 10 times, there is even an entire section describing who within Aboriginal communities they need to contact; far far more detail than "members of the public" receives).

Last edited:
I'm very much expecting this to be one of the major election promises from the Wynne team. And Richmond Hill as well.

I do hope we get concrete promises for transit funding by 2018. The DRL feels like it's floating around in the TPAP atm rather than moving forward.

I do hope we get concrete promises for transit funding by 2018. The DRL feels like it's floating around in the TPAP atm rather than moving forward.

I'm shocked that DRL TPAP is taking as long as it is. Won't be finished until 2019, if I recall correctly. The SSE TPAP will take considerably less time. I wonder if the difference comes down to cash flow issues, the complexity of the project, or other factors.

It just occurred to me that the RFP may come before financing as a result of the Amazon HQ proposal deadline which is October 19th. They can show actual movement on the HQ proposal during the evaluation phase without needing to commit to following through on it if not selected.

Would Amazon locating here accelerate the Relief Line timetable?

I'd think the government would lay down the cash if it meant Amazon was coming.

I'd think so. That would earn them a lot of votes in Toronto.

It's not as though they've been dishonest on the transit file either - it's not hard to believe they'd continue investing.

Back