1.5K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 521     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Sears Canada (1952-2017)

• Thread starter CanadianNational
  • Start date
Scarborough Town Centre or Fairview for Simons, perhaps. That might be it. It would be nice to have a Simons on a subway line.

According to a recent Retail Insider article, the rumours were a Saks at Fairview and either Simons or Nordstrom at Scarborough Town Centre.

Seeing what Oxford did to their other major Toronto properties, I'd be more inclined to believe they have some unrevealed plans, similar to what they've done at Yorkdale and Square One. Added to the fact that the subway will cause some reconfigurations to the area, I'm leaning towards mall expansion.

According to a recent Retail Insider article, the rumours were a Saks at Fairview and either Simons or Nordstrom at Scarborough Town Centre.
That would be the most boneheaded move for Saks to date. It makes even less sense than having a Saks on Queen Street, but if they're really intent on sinking Saks in Canada they should go for it.

On the other hand I think a Simons at STC would thrive. Nordstrom would be interesting but I dont think it would perform too well.

Behind a paywall, like just about anything still worth reading in the Globe. The plagiarizer-in-chief, never is, sadly.

It costs to create content. A subscription is a bargain. Would be even better value if there was an option to hide anything written by Wente - I'd even pay a bit extra for that.

It costs to create content. A subscription is a bargain. Would be even better value if there was an option to hide anything written by Wente - I'd even pay a bit extra for that.

Nevermind the option to hide Wente - I wish there is an option to micromanage my subscription to support non-Wente content.

On the bright side, their app finally works.

AoD

It's too bad Kohl's couldn't take over some Sears stores in the smaller markets. I was at a Kohl's last weekend in Buffalo, just about every car in the lot was from Ontario. Same with the lot at Target, which is surprising considering the Canadian dollar isn't great.

There's nothing really surprising in that article that we dont already know about. Some interesting facts of the article would be:

A 131-store chain is heading for liquidation this week, an ugly end to a 65-year-old franchise that can be traced back to a series of bad decisions by Edward Lampert, chairman and CEO at Chicago-based Sears Holdings Corp. and controlling shareholder in the Canadian subsidiary.

Sears' woes can be explained with a few simple numbers.

The first number is $1.90 (U.S.). That's how much, per square foot, Mr. Lampert and his team were investing annually on Sears outlets in the United States, according to research done two years ago by Matt McGinley, an analyst with Evercore ISI Institutional Equities. In contrast, Walmart invested $9.70 per square foot in its stores during that same period

Here's another number: $5.8-billion. That's how much Mr. Lampert spent buying back stock in Sears Holdings in a five-year period. In a 2007 shareholder letter, Mr. Lampert said: "We will not spend money on capital expenditures to build new stores or upgrade our existing base simply because our competitors do. If share repurchases or acquisitions appear to be more productive, then we will allocate capital to those options appropriately.

One final number: Five. That's the number of CEOs and presidents Mr. Lampert has seen come and go at Sears Canada in the past four years. Each leader brought their own strategy and sensibilities. Each departure and arrival meant switching the retailer's focus and trying something new

Back