Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

No. A derelict former industrial site is being revived with cultural centres, housing that brings in hundreds of new residents, there are restaurants, art galleries, shops and other retail uses, it is well designed and has been rebranded as a destination worth visiting and living in. Heritage is being celebrated and history is being made.

No. A derelict former industrial site is being revived with cultural centres, housing that brings in hundreds of new residents, there are restaurants, art galleries, shops and other retail uses, it is well designed and has been rebranded as a destination worth visiting and living in. Heritage is being celebrated and history is being made.

It's hard to celebrate history when it's being torn down.

This argument has been done to death already...no one has a problem with anything you've mentioned. It's the form of the residential development that's the problem.

The aspirations for what this building could be are quite lofty - or quite down to earth.

I didn't realize Rackhouse M was a parking lot.

The majority of the site is a parking lot. As far as Rackhouse M is concerned, the history of this purpose built building interferes with any type of adaptive re-use. The racks would have to come out leaving a windowless brick shell of little architectural merit

The majority of the site is a parking lot. As far as Rackhouse M is concerned, the history of this purpose built building interferes with any type of adaptive re-use. The racks would have to come out leaving a windowless brick shell of little architectural merit

I don't understand why people who have no issue with it being torn down would be against adding windows to it and modifying the interior. The building obviously wouldn't be the same and wouldn't have the same use, but it would help retain the built form of this historic district.

It would be a challenge but not impossible to convert it. Heck, it could even have been converted into a parking garage allowing the base of Clear Spirit to be developed properly. And like syn mentioned, adding windows would not be out of the question. Imagine large multistorey windows installed... it would be quite spectacular. Preserving history is a challenge, it's never cheap or easy.

Incidentally, I ran into this photograph today. It's not mine, I didn't take it. But if I had, I would have entitled it, "Ruined Landscape". Ew, is it ever gross...

dd.jpg

Incidentally, I ran into this photograph today. It's not mine, I didn't take it. But if I had, I would have entitled it, "Ruined Landscape". Ew, is it ever gross...

dd.jpg

The part I don't like about the picture is to the left, i.e. the parking lot and boring low-level developments that fade away to nothingness around the district. Conversely, the addition of new towers creates a nice backdrop and frame to the district, old plays off of new, and the urban fabric gets another layer. To me, this is far more interesting.

Maestro, you can keep repeating that mantra, but I've shown specific examples of a rack house being magnificently re-used at the former Seagram Museum. Most of the light comes from skylights and an addition, and it cascades through the beautiful wood racks which are mostly retained (and strengthened where necessary with steel beams).

Back